cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

dtdman420
Adept II

VR optimizing request

My previous GPU was a 1070ti.  I really wanted to go top of the line this time because I play a lot of VR so I went with the 6900xt and I must say, I have been greatly disappointed.

GPU usage flops all around not even getting close to full usage with spikes up to 80%  while the actual gpu clock speed jumps between 1300 - 2000.  During this time I get frame drops and stutter.

We in the VR community need some serious help, I barely notice much of a improvement going from my old card to the new one.

Why if the full potential of the GPU not being used in these cases. I have a 8700k for CPU and looking at MSi afterburner, the CPU is not bottlenecking in most cases.

Can we PLEASE have someone at AMD look into this because it has been months

4 Replies
Aeyesi
Adept I

Your GPU is chillin because it has nothing to do, its waiting for CPU...

GPU plays a role for sure, but in VR it's much more about CPU.... I went from 3770K to 5800X and the difference was massive. You really need singlethreaded performance for some titles, especially vrchat and other unity based games.

0 Likes

Go to this FPS & Bottleneck website and input your Intel I7-8700K and RX6900XT and Ram speed  and amount of RAM to see what results you get.

I inputted I7-8700K, RX6900XT, DDR4 3600Mhz, 16GB (guessing your Ram) and it says the Intel has about a 11.8% of  Bottlenecking at 1080P:https://www.cpuagent.com/build-compare/intel-core-i7-8700k-vs-intel-core-i9-10900k/summary/amd-radeo...

Screenshot 2021-09-29 123756.png

Thanks for the info. That is very interesting.  

At 4k is shows the 8700k bottleneck at 3%.  With VR we are rendering 2 screens at very high resolution. Would this still make sense?

0 Likes

I have no idea someone else will need to answer that question.

0 Likes