Journeyman III

Video and mouse pointer sticks

• AMD Graphics Card -A6-6310 with Radeon R4
  • Dell Inspiron 3541 Laptop
  • Operating System Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed  Radeon Software version 19.12.3
  • Driver Version
    19.50.03.05-191216a-349841E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2020

My issue is every 3 or 4 seconds the mouse pointer freezes and the video sticks for about a second - extremely annoying! Audio keeps playing and is not affected. I can get the problem to stop by reverting back to an old video driver (2006 vintage) BUT that causes lots of other problems, particularly playing games. Arcade style games are now unusable.

I first got it maybe a year or so ago after a Microsoft update. I played around with it a bit, updating drivers, trying different mouse settings, etc. The final thing which worked was to set it to allow mouse pointer trails. I don't know why, but it stopped the lag. I set the trail length as low as possible and everything was good.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when another Microsoft update caused the issue to reappear. This time the mouse trail trick does not work. Pretty sure my problem is a video driver issue. Using the pre-boot diagnostics the mouse has no problems whatsoever. Booting back into win10 is when the problem appears.

In some games, in addition to the sticking mouse pointer, on some screens the mouse will be unusable at times for around 30 seconds. It seems to be when my system is busy doing something, but why that would affect the video of a full screen game, I dunno.

I hoped a recent update by AMD to their driver and software would help but no luck. If anyone knows anything which can help I would appreciate their input. I am so frustrated now I was looking at potential ways to change out the video "card", but that is not possible on my system. Perhaps buying a whole new system...

0 Likes
6 Replies

Since it occurred both times after a Microsoft Windows update, seems like you need to post your question at Microsoft Forums besides AMD Forums.

You can always uninstall the Microsoft Update that you believe is causing the mouse issue again and then use Microsoft Hide/Unhide APP to prevent it from being installed again.

Microsoft Forums: Results in Windows - Microsoft Community 

WindowsTen Forum: https://www.tenforums.com/  - Threads about temporarily mouse freezing: https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&i... 

From Microsoft Forum link in a thread concerning the same mouse issue you are having: FIX: Cursor freezes, jumps or disappears in Windows 10, 8 or 7  and from another Microsoft Forum Link: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/mouse-pointer-lags-freezes-windows-10 

EDIT: I had something similar happen to me on my Logitech Bluetooth Mouse. Turned out to be Logitech Smooth Scrolling was causing the problem. Once i disabled Smooth Scrolling in Logitech Options menu. The freezing stopped. Seemed like it has a conflict with Windows 10 own Mouse settings.

After reading the link from Window Report.com, I finally found out why my mouse pointer disappears randomly. I had "Hide pointer while Typing" enabled. Disabled it and now seems to have fixed the disappearing mouse on my computer. I had the impression it was my Graphics Driver causing the issue, thus I was always updating the driver to see if it fixed the issue. By the way, it never did.

0 Likes

Thanks! I had searched on MS forums and Googled before and tried the suggestions found. The only thing which seemed to help before was that one strange setting I mentioned. I believe I may have posted on the MS forums for this issue before. Unfortunately, the replies one tends to get on those forums are not directed at discovering the cause, just attempts to prevent MS looking bad in any way. They usually include bunches of technobabble which have no relevance to ones particular situation. At least they usually end with a cheery, "Hope this helps!"

I had updated all software and drivers. I looked over the Logitech software settings and left smooth scrolling enabled. I just disabled it to no effect.

BTW, this also happens when using the touchpad.

0 Likes

Updated Radeon software to 20.2.1 and latest driver. Video and mouse freezing is worse than ever. Every two seconds they freeze for about half a second. It is BS that AMD cannot seem to fix this problem.

0 Likes
doyama
Journeyman III

Processor                                        AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor 3.79 GHz

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   32 GB
System Type                                    x64-based PC

Windows                                            Version 1903, Build 18362.657 (Windows 10 Professional)

System Model                                   Desktop, custom build

Graphics Card                                 Radeo Pro WX4100

Previous driver version (no issues)   win10-64bit-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-18.q1-feb12 (1)

New driver version (mouse freezing)   win10-64bit-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-19.q4-nov13

Mouse                                             Logitech 705 wireless

I've had a computer built for me at work for 3D design using solidworks. We were running an old

version of solidworks, so we kept the old 18q1 driver. I recently upgraded to Solidworks 2019. A

few weeks later (today), I finally got around to updating my driver to the one recommended by

Solidworks. Used the amd cleanup utility - Restart. Install 19q4 - restart. Upon restarting the second time, 

the mouse freezes in place on my screen every few seconds - a second later it unfreezes and I can move

it freely again. Absolutely nothing changed save for my AMD driver.

Smoothscrolling is not installed

Uninstalled-installed mouse driver

Updated mouse firmware (why not)

Disabled Enhance Pointer Precision in the mouse pointer settings

No change 

Used the amd cleanup utility - Restart. Install 18q1 - restart.

Mouse works perfectly

What the hell guys??

0 Likes
papamas
Journeyman III

UPDATE: My issue has been resolved. Long story short - there are three players, Microsoft (the OS), AMD (the video card manufacturer), and Dell (the laptop manufacturer). The problem started when MS changed the OS to update ALL drivers when they are available (previously you could opt out of some updates). So, the OS grabbed the latest drivers from AMD and installed them, even though they were not certified for my laptop by Dell. I had to edit the registry to keep the OS from doing that, then uninstall all the latest AMD drivers and software and reinstall the latest Dell certified drivers.

I am much happier now that everything works.

0 Likes

For those who have integrated graphics on their mobile machines, use what is on windows update

0 Likes