cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

bestboyben
Journeyman III

USB problems on 5600H CPU

I have had AMD based desktops for many years with no issues but my new laptop (ASUS M1603QA) with a 5600H CPU has USB issues.  ASUS claim the problems are rooted in AMD hardware and they can't fix it.

The problem is we have some older USB devices that need a USB 2 port, they have known issues on 3.1 and 3.2.  The laptop has a sole USB 2 port but it will not recognise these older USB devices.  ASUS claims it is a USB 2 port as advertised and it runs directly from the CPU, but all the third party apps I have run say it is USB 3.1 port on the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller.

Does the AMD 5600H have USB 2 ports as ASUS claims?   How can I prove or disprove the claim that this is proper USB 2 port?  A colleague has the Intel version of this laptop (X1603) and these older USB devices work on this.

I am happy to run any tests just ask...    Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Replies
JirehLB
Journeyman III

@bestboybenI am also facing the same issues on my AMD desktop build, are you also going to try RMAing yur laptop to the manufacturer?

0 Likes

@JirehLB  ASUS are not interested in helping and other than here AMD seem to have no point of contact.

I can get my laptop to see the USB 2 device if I trick it but I am not sure what this proves.  Allow me to explain.

As standard the USB 2 device doesn't work in any of the USB ports, either the 'dedicated' USB 2 port from the 5600H CPU or the USB 3.1 ports.

If I plug in an external hub magic happens.  The USB 2 device is then seen and works perfectly in the hub and also in all the laptop ports.  Unplug the hub and the connection to the USB 2 device drops immediately.

Clearly the AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller can talk to USB 2 devices but why you have to plug in a hub to make this happen I don't know.

It is obvious as I type this that this is an AMD issue but can it be fixed with software or is it bad hardware?

Try yours with an external hub and let me know.  Good luck.

0 Likes