cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Heallthy_Boi
Journeyman III

upgraded my RX 580 to a 6650XT and have stuttering issues

Hello! I've upgraded my GPU from a Sapphire pulse Rx580 4gb to a Gigabyte OC RX 6650 XT 8gb.
System Specs:
16gb gddr4 ram 2666Mhz
RX 6650 XT 8gb GPU (gigabyte OC)
Ryzen 5 2600X CPU
EVGA 650W bronze PSU
Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard

Windows 10 64bit
-
When I installed the GPU in my computer and fired it up I went ahead and searched for drivers. It was stutter at first but I figured it was because of drivers. I went to both AMD and Gigabytes page for driver info. I did that AMD uninstaller and then I reinstalled AMD adrenaline, I checked for updates and allowed for automatic driver install and let updates occur but even in the desktop doing normal tasks there was significant input lag and stuttering. next I tried AMD minimalist or whatever its called and went through that and installed some new updates and anything it recommended after it detected my system. still had input lag and stuttering, went and did a stress test in adrenaline, stress test was ok, set preset from gaming to standard to see if that would change anything, it didn't. I decided to hop into a game and try it out but I noticed significant stuttering and frame rate issues. I've checked my GPU and CPU temps and they are both below 50C no matter what, the ONLY thing I've changed in my system is the GPU. There doesn't appear to be a bottleneck in my system, CPU sits around 50% utilization, GPU sits around 30% and RAM doesn't completely get used up ( usually have 4gb left over) and sits at 2666Mhz frequency. I've tried various things which ill list below:

-Updated my BOIS

-Fresh GPU driver install

-Enabled above 4g decoding and resize BAR

-checked all my drivers for windows and my CPU and such in device manager to see if it needed a update

-Double checked my GPU power supply cable wasn't being daisy chained and is being supplied by the built in wiring harness from the PSU

- Tried overclocking my GPU in games

there's definitely more smaller things I've been fiddling around with but forgetting to put in the list, I haven't done a fresh windows 10 install but before I go through the whole process of masking backups and restoring it all and setting my PC up again I was wondering if there's anything else I should try? I've tried reinstalling my old 580 after I've done all those tests and fiddling around and it still has the same stuttering issue, is doing a fresh install and then reloading all my data the thing to do? But any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello!

I did run AMD's clean up tool thing and then download the latest adrenaline for my GPU selection. I did however today end up going through with a new windows 10 instillation.... I decided to bite the bullet. After it was reinstalled it was still stuttering but I did however redownload adrenaline for my GPU, I also saw on another Microsoft forum to hit windows key+control+shift+B to reset graphics drivers. I'm not sure which of the two did the trick but I Finally have no stuttering!  I'm not going to argue with success. but whatever worked worked, it only took better part of a week of fiddling around before I got lucky and something worked. Although I've already tried what you suggested I still appreciate you taking the time to help me out, its good it all worked out in the end!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Did you run the program called DDU .. remove all past/present GPU drivers ..reboot . .and then install latest drivers from AMD.com?

Have you installed the latest AM4 chipset drivers from AMD.com?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Hello!

I did run AMD's clean up tool thing and then download the latest adrenaline for my GPU selection. I did however today end up going through with a new windows 10 instillation.... I decided to bite the bullet. After it was reinstalled it was still stuttering but I did however redownload adrenaline for my GPU, I also saw on another Microsoft forum to hit windows key+control+shift+B to reset graphics drivers. I'm not sure which of the two did the trick but I Finally have no stuttering!  I'm not going to argue with success. but whatever worked worked, it only took better part of a week of fiddling around before I got lucky and something worked. Although I've already tried what you suggested I still appreciate you taking the time to help me out, its good it all worked out in the end!

0 Likes