Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

banzeo1
Journeyman III

System won't boot with 2 dual channel DDR4 RAM kits

Hello,

I was trying to have 2 different memory kits (both dual channel) in my system.
But it doesn't boot.
The only way to get it to boot is to use each kit separately.

Any clues to make it work ?

I tried with the latest BIOS v2807 (and some older version too)
I also tried to set VDDCR SOC tension with an offset +0,5V (the max)

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A (bios v2807, also tried with 2203)
CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE
RAM kit1 (not on QVL) : 2x4GB Gskill F4-2400C15D-8GIS
RAM kit2 (in QVL) : 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14

I tried with also kit1 + 1x8GB of another DDR4 (F4-2400C15S-8GNT) which didn't work either, and ASUS support told me they don't provide any support since the kit1 is not on the QVL...

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

My wife has a AM3+ Motherboard in which I upgraded her FX6300 processor with my previous FX8350 processor. I was able to Mix and Match my RAM modules that I was using before on my computer and installed it on her computer with her different RAM module installed.

I thought it might not be compatible but it works without any problems.

But with Ryzen Processors they are very sensitive to what RAM is installed. You can't Mix & Match different RAM modules for that reason. It will be a good chance that it will be incompatible with the processor or motherboard.

That is why you need to follow the QVL List from the motherboard or AMD RAM Ryzen RAM List or the RAM manufacturer QVL List to make sure the RAM you purchase will be compatible with the Motherboard and processor.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

obviously using two different RAM sets on the same motherboard is not compatible.

You need to order a 4 RAM Module Kit that is listed on the QVL List.

Mix & Matching different RAM Modules is a bad idea when it comes to Ryzen Motherboards.

All the RAM should be the same and from one Kit to avoid incompatibilities between the Motherboard and CPU.

Better to use 2 x 16 kit, depending on mobo, some need volts increase for 4 x sticks (should be mentioned in mobo manual ?)

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Thank you @elstacifor that clarification.

I bought a motherboard with 4 RAM slots to add more RAM in future. It's a pity that all sticks have to be the same. I used to be able to mix sticks with intel setups without problems.

Kind regards

My wife has a AM3+ Motherboard in which I upgraded her FX6300 processor with my previous FX8350 processor. I was able to Mix and Match my RAM modules that I was using before on my computer and installed it on her computer with her different RAM module installed.

I thought it might not be compatible but it works without any problems.

But with Ryzen Processors they are very sensitive to what RAM is installed. You can't Mix & Match different RAM modules for that reason. It will be a good chance that it will be incompatible with the processor or motherboard.

That is why you need to follow the QVL List from the motherboard or AMD RAM Ryzen RAM List or the RAM manufacturer QVL List to make sure the RAM you purchase will be compatible with the Motherboard and processor.