cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

n8anator
Journeyman III

supported displays

I cant figure out why i cant use 3 monitors on my graphics card, its a radeon r9 200 series 290 somethin or whatever and i wanted to use eyefinity and in order for me to do that will all 3 monitors i have to have them all plugged into my graphics card witch has 2 mini hdmi's           2 dvi's  and 1 main hdmi so I tried all things and when i plug them all it and also i tried the combination of my main being the main hdmi then i plugged my other 2 monitors into the mini hdmi's and when i do that only 2 monitors turn on the 3rd one doesn't and when i go into windows settings it detects the 3rd monitor but it doesn't turn it on and it says its not active and when I try to activate it it gives me an error message saying "un able to save these changes please try a different orientation" and I don't know what to do and i wanted to make sure if my graphics card can even support 3 or more monitors but i go on here to try to find the answer to that but cant find it anywhere so someone please tell me what Im doing wrong or if my graphics card can even support that many monitors thank for reading.

2 Replies
Leuschke
Journeyman III

You can connect one or more external displays depending on your Mac model. To find out how many external displays your Mac supports, check its technical specifications page: 

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac, double-click your serial number, then press Command-C to copy it.
  2. Go to the Tech Specs page, click the Search Tech Specs bar, press Command-V to enter your computer's serial number, then click Search.
  3. Click the specs page for your Mac. The number of displays your MyAARPMedicare Mac supports appears under Video Support or Graphics.
0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Every AMD GPU since TeraScale 3 (Radeon HD 5000-Series) has supported up to 3 Displays Per Card.

Now the caveat to this is., the Total (Native) Display Area must not excess the maximum Resolution that said GPU is capable of outputting.

For example if you're using a HD 6790, which supports up to 3840x3840... and you have 3x1920x1080 
Well you're not going to be able to use them out of the box., because it'll be 5670x3240; this will exceed the 3840 in one of the axis that the Card can output.

And this will then just appear as if it doesn't support the 3 Displays as Windows / Mac OS will not allow it to be changeable in the Settings. Even though it'll detect it attached and "Working"... so how do you solve this?
Well simple, you have to use Eyefinity; this will allow you to setup and override the Defaults for a given Display. 

In the example above 3x1920 (1080p) won't work... but 3x1280 (720p) will. 
As I say., use Eyefinity (although this is now integrated into Radeon Settings, so the Display Tab in Adrenalin 2020 on-ward) and you want to override the Display Settings and Display Setup.

You'll eventually find one that works.

0 Likes