cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Crystallis
Journeyman III

Streaming/recording with OBS codec + settings CPU/GPU

Good day, i am soon to be a new streamer on the market and i do have a full AMD build and i am looking for advices regarding best possible set up for streaming and recording.

My specs are:

Windows 11 

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo 49''

Processor: 5950x

Ram: Gskill zRoyal Elite 64GB {4x16} 3600 OC, 14 Latency

Video Card: Amd Sapphire 6950xt Toxic LC Limited Edition

Motherboard: Asus RoG Crosshair VIII x570 Dark Hero

SSDs: 1x WD 850x 4tb and 1x 850 2tb

Internet Speed: gigabyte 960 download with 480 upload

Webcam Logitech 4k BRIO

Streaming tools: GoXLR + Elgato Stream Deck + Shure microphone + OBS with StreamLab plugin + wireless headphones 7.1 Razor

My questions are:

What should i use for streaming CPU or GPU? {i know for recording GPU is a must}

What codec?

Kick and YouTube are friendly towards what codec encoding based on CPU/GPU?

What settings should i set up for streaming + recording, bit rate/ refresh rate/bandwidth/resolution etc?

My monitor can be set to {5120x1440 120/60 htz} or splitting screens to (3440x1440 120/60htz) with (1680x1440 60htz). Which one is more intensive towards PC overall or a specific component(s)

Monitor on 5120x1440 can be also set to 240htz with HDR 1000, can i set this for streaming/recording and if so with what CPU/GPU settings and encoding?

Recording/Streaming main screen (big one) and keep the rest of streaming stuff on the second one is putting more pressure on the pc overall or specific component than using one big screen with streaming overlays?

Also when recording/streaming one screen is taking into consideration the second monitor? (I am asking for setting up the resolution to be the same as the screen's, i know this much)

P.S. this is a question for GPU especially. When streaming/recording, activating fast timings on GPU is a must or not?

+Note i've undervoilt GPU by 100+ core clock from 2644 to 2522 and raised the memory from 2234 or whatever it was to 2312, reduce the voltage from 2, to 175

and CPU CO to -5 on all cores and a bit PBO 215\155\170.

and i set the ram to DOCP.

0 Likes
2 Replies
bluesadam
Elite

For streaming I advise using GPU. 6xxx series should have HEVC encoding/decoding support so use that. YouTube supports h264, hevc and av1. Your GPU does not support AV1 encoding though, so HEVC is your next best bet. Regarding resolution, bitrate etc. just follow your platform's recommended settings like this

When streaming, your OBS and stuff will be on a second monitor. Your stream overlay is only visible to viewers, not to you. So you will need a second monitor. Don't worry though it will have negligible effect on performance.

When you set up your scene, you specifically choose which display you want to stream/record so you don't need to specify monitor resolution manually. You only need to set the canvas size (the blank screen on which you project everything.)

Can't say anything about overclocking/undervolting. I personally find them pointless, but it's just my opinion. Try and see for yourself I guess. I value stability when I stream more than anything else. It's not worth risking a driver timeout/reset because of any sort of overclock and undervolt. I keep everything stock.

Good luck and godspeed!

0 Likes

So splitting my monitor into two screens is better than having one monitor with overlays? Also as far as i know you can hide them when playing and set them visible only for you (chat especially). And which configuration is more stressful, one screen 5120x1440 120/240 htz with HDR 1000 or split into two screens one higher (3440x1440 120 htz) resolution the other one 1680x1440 60htz?

0 Likes