cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

andrew228
Journeyman III

[Sapphire RX 7900 XTX] Low FPS @ 1080P and Low Power Draw

I finally saved up enough to get an RX 7900 XTX but when I received it I didn't get any better performance than my last lower budget card. I've been stressing over it and can't figure out the issue.

I've been gaming with my family on an RX 580 4GB for years and it's a solid GPU, and I always use lowest settings in games on a 1080p monitor for highest FPS, but the still low performance affected my gameplay and it can't keep up with my 240hz display.
I built a PC about a year ago and got to test an Nvidia RTX 3070 TI, a 600$ GPU. I don't prefer Nvidia but the GPU gave massive FPS in this PC. If it wasn't for that GPU I may've not even known how poor performing my new 1100$ GPU is because it struggles to keep around 200 fps in Fortnite on lowest settings and stutters. That is what convinced me something was off because the cheaper GPU could hit over 1000fps in ideal conditions and was super smooth.

I downloaded GPU-Z to see what it was saying and the only thing I could make sense of that may've looked off was the power draw. The highest reading I've ever seen was 180w but that was only during a spike, it looks like it's only drawing around 100w consistently while a game is running.

I tried multiple things but nothing has changed.
The 1st thing I did was try everything with drivers.
I changed the PCIe cables and did everything I could with those.
Just in-case it would help I redid thermal paste on my CPU, it's water cooled and runs very cool. 
I installed an old Corsair 750w PSU to see if my main PSU was broken and nothing changed.

I contacted Sapphire and they told me my GPU sounded defective so I did an RMA and got a new GPU, but I have the exact same issue from what I can tell.

Does anyone have any knowledge to share on this before I have to just give up and try to get a refund?

CPU: i9-9900K
RAM: DDR4 32GB 3600MHZ
PSU: Corsair RM1000X

0 Likes
0 Replies