Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

isaiah
Journeyman III

Radeon VII Blown Component

Hi,

I purchased a Radeon VII off ebay recently. After plugging it in and booting my computer, I head something blow. The card works, but the fans aren't running.

1) Does AMD have a repair service for these older cards?

2) If not, does anyone happen to know what this component is?  It looks like a resistor, but I'm not sure.  I've scoured the internet looking for the pcb schematic with no luck. And the reference designator, "MB", for this component doesn't seem to be a standard.

This image below is of the PCB. This is the component that blew. It's near the fan connector, and the label is MB230.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 135603.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

You can replace that blown component by finding another trashed VII GPU card and cannibalizing it. Most likely that specific electronic/electrical component is used in several different GPU card models.

But the problem I see is WHAT CAUSED that component to blow?  Let say you replace it and as soon as you apply power it blows  again but the damage to the card is now worse then last time. Unless the component just failed by itself rather from an external factor like a short someone else in the circuit.

Also you will need to remove the Shroud and physically inspect the entire PCB for further damage from that component that blew due to a short circuit.

I believe the AMD Service Centers are for Warranty repairs only. But not sure. You can open a AMD Support ticket and ask them if AMD repairs Non-Warranty hardware from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can replace that blown component by finding another trashed VII GPU card and cannibalizing it. Most likely that specific electronic/electrical component is used in several different GPU card models.

But the problem I see is WHAT CAUSED that component to blow?  Let say you replace it and as soon as you apply power it blows  again but the damage to the card is now worse then last time. Unless the component just failed by itself rather from an external factor like a short someone else in the circuit.

Also you will need to remove the Shroud and physically inspect the entire PCB for further damage from that component that blew due to a short circuit.

I believe the AMD Service Centers are for Warranty repairs only. But not sure. You can open a AMD Support ticket and ask them if AMD repairs Non-Warranty hardware from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form