cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

POWER REQUIREMENTS FOR GRAPHICS CARDS

1 Solution

That is a nice general list. Worth pointing out however is that is only reference specs for the cards that are made by team red or green, or if an AIB partner follows reference design. 

Many AIB cards though are OC editions and often use more power than what that list would suggest. 

For instance with the new RDNA cards a 6800 uses 650 watts on the AMD made card or reference design. Zotac has their top OC card and it has a 700 watt requirement. If you look at the top 6800 model from Saphire its requirement is 750 watts. So best to always look at the specs on the card makers site and don't assume they follow reference specs. Otherwise you may be tacking on another 150 bucks on a power supply too....

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That is a nice general list. Worth pointing out however is that is only reference specs for the cards that are made by team red or green, or if an AIB partner follows reference design. 

Many AIB cards though are OC editions and often use more power than what that list would suggest. 

For instance with the new RDNA cards a 6800 uses 650 watts on the AMD made card or reference design. Zotac has their top OC card and it has a 700 watt requirement. If you look at the top 6800 model from Saphire its requirement is 750 watts. So best to always look at the specs on the card makers site and don't assume they follow reference specs. Otherwise you may be tacking on another 150 bucks on a power supply too....

There's also reports of the new 6800 cards having intermittent power spikes. So that could pump up your PSU needs too.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review 

I noticed the list does not mention the AMD 6800 cards nor the Nvidia RTX 30 series. I'm sure a update will be along in the next few days.

@bearcat22 wrote:

There's also reports of the new 6800 cards having intermittent power spikes. So that could pump up your PSU needs too.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review 

Yes I just saw that tonight too. Steve Burke at Gamers Nexus said it tripped the protection on his power supply when running benchmarks a couple times. So I guess we will soon be seeing the complaints of why is my RDNA2 card making my system restart. You would think with the past 3 generations of cards now having minimum power requirements that were not set high enough causing countless users to flood the forums with the same questions time after time that maybe AMD would get this right this time. Hopefully they did and this is isolated incidents. However i don't believe in coincidence too much especially when several of the very best tech reviewers have the same thing happen. 

I am so slow...just found out where this was....

Screenshot_7.png