cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

todorokia
Adept I

PCIe Gen 4 causes instability with USB devices

I am having issues with USB devices in my newly built system. Under certain workload, the lights on my backlit USB keyboard flickers (they are not supposed to), USB mouse movement becomes inconsistent, USB audio starts crackling, and USB webcam starts glitching.

PC spec/info:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI rev. 1.1, BIOS version F31o
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X OC
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C18D-64GVK
  • PSU: Corsair CX750 (2017) 
  • OS: Windows 10 64bit, OS build 19042.685 w/ latest drivers
  • Connected USB peripherals:
    • Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury FPS Gaming Mouse
    • Logitech K845 Mechanical Illuminated Keyboard
    • Logitech StreamCam
    • Focusrite SCARLETT-2I2-3RD-GEN 2x2 USB 2.0 Audio Interface
    • Elgato Game Capture HD60 S

Exact steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Load optimized options in the BIOS and restart.
  2. Open NVIDIA Broadcast app, switch to camera tab. Under camera source, select Logitech StreamCam and 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps (or 1920 x 1080 @ 30fps, anything lower will not cause the issue). Then, enable any of the effects.
  3. Open any video meeting software (e.g. Discord) or OBS Studio, select Camera (NVIDIA Broadcast) and start video preview.
  4. All USB devices should now start glitching

One way to work around the issue is changing the PCIe slot link speed to Gen 3, then all the symptoms listed above will be gone. But that is not ideal as the graphic card is designed to run at Gen 4 speed.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

I'd try contacting Gigabyte for support, since the problem is going to be with the motherboard.  Perhaps they have an updated BIOS which addresses the issue.

Short of that, the performance penalty for PCIe 3 versus PCIe 4 with the graphics card, assuming you're giving it the full 16 lanes, is going to be negligible.

I have tried to contact Gigabyte and their suggestions were not helpful (upgrade/downgrade BIOS version, RMA the board).

Have you tried changing 'USB selective suspend'.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

This October thread at Reddit seems to be similar to your situation in the respect that having PCIe 4.0 enabled causes various USB issues while resolved under PCIe 3.0 with Gigabytes Motherboards:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/jcl8ab/aorus_usb_disconnection_bug_pcie_gen_40_vs_g...

From the link above there is another thread with the same symptoms and motherboard that you have: https://www.overclock.net/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-owners-thread.1728360/page-517#post-28640957

This User seemed to have found a workaround to the problem of flickering USB devices by configuring the CPU:

Screenshot 2020-12-17 141618.png

0 Likes

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, tweaking VDDG CCD and VDDG IOD did not seem to have any effects on the issue.