cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

earlbond
Journeyman III

PCIE 4.0 GPU on PCIE 2.0 MOBO.

Hi Guys,


I have Asus P8Z68-V motherboard & i want to upgrade my GPU to RX 5600 XT is that Ok?

My boards has PCIE 2.0 x16 while the RX 5600 XT has PCIE 4.0 x16.

Thanks.

16 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

PCIE 4.0 is backwards compatible with PCIE 2.0 so the graphics card will work  fine.

There might be some bandwidth limitations but I don't think the RX5600 XT will even cap the PCIE 2.0 limit.

fyrel wrote:

PCIE 4.0 is backwards compatible with PCIE 2.0 so the graphics card will work  fine.

There might be some bandwidth limitations but I don't think the RX5600 XT will even cap the PCIE 2.0 limit.

PCIe is forward and backward compatible.

Some time ago somebody with a R9 Fury tested it with 1 lane to 16 lanes of PCIe 1.1, PCIe 20 and PCIe 3.0

The Fury was a tad slow with 1 lane but with 2 or more it was good to go. Video cards are over provisioned with bandwidth.

BpmJon
Journeyman III

Hi Fyrel

Sorry to be dumb here. Does that mean a PCI2 graphics card will work on a PCI4 motherboard?

Ive used this card previously and am buying this new motherboard. (I only need for music DAW software, 3 screens, so no need for fancy gpu).

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

0 Likes

There should be no problem with that. Altough there should be no problem with my case either... :( But your situation is simpler having a pcie2 card on a pcie4, since pcie is backward compatible and an older bios should be supported by a more recent system than the other way around.

0 Likes
FJMJ
Journeyman III

The Radeon RX 5600XT/5700XT definitely does not work on old P55 PCie 2.0 motherboards with the AMD driver. They work with the Windows generic driver, but as soon as you install the AMD driver the screen goes black. There is no work around other than use the Windows Generic driver. I am not sure if this is due speed issues or lack of enough power on the PCIe 2.0 slot, even though the GPU has an 8 pin power connector. Please be aware of this issue if buying a new GPU to install on an old mobo.

0 Likes
FJMJ
Journeyman III

After change motherboard, cpu, memory and finally replacing the power supply by a 1000W and have the same problem, the screen going black after install the AMD driver, I stopped and start to deep analyze the problem. In this process I found out the computer was still running, so, the problem was on the video output. Then I remembered I had replaced the monitor by a new 144Hz, so I realized the HDMI cable I was using could be the problem since it was an standard cheap cable that would probably not support frequencies above 60Hz. I replaced the cable what 4K HDMI cable and everything worked. At the end, I spent $1500 to try to fix this issue and all I needed was a $10 HDMI cable. At least i have a wonderful computer now.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

fyrel is exactly correct. I would think your issue is more what CPU are you pairing with it? That is an Intel 2nd gen board for the i series. If you have unlocked i7 you may be able to drive that card to your liking but some CPU bottlenecking is still possible. If you have anything less than the i7 you likely will have bottlenecking with the CPU. 

You can always buy the card and see how it performs for you. You can also move it to another system when you decide to upgrade. 

pokester wrote:

fyrel is exactly correct. I would think your issue is more what CPU are you pairing with it? That is an Intel 2nd gen board for the i series. If you have unlocked i7 you may be able to drive that card to your liking but some CPU bottlenecking is still possible. If you have anything less than the i7 you likely will have bottlenecking with the CPU. 

You can always buy the card and see how it performs for you. You can also move it to another system when you decide to upgrade. 

maybe if the OP has a Celeron but even an i3 can manage fine

0 Likes

Well I guess it depends on your definition of fine. 

i3's were dual core only at that time and will most definitely seriously bottleneck a 5600xt. Sandy bridge while great at its release is pretty slow now by today's standards. And core counts are going higher and higher. There are games out now that 4th and 5th gen quad cores are struggling with. An i7-2600k will struggle with some games now and even it will lose frames on this mid level GPU.

Even the online bottleneck checkers show significant issue with what you say is fine.

According to them it is EXACTLY as I said. 

0 Likes

I have an i3-2100 and it is not all that bad with a UEFI board. The Asus board it is parked on was upgraded to UEFI so I had to reinstall windows on the machine more than once.

0 Likes
piskeante
Adept I

PCIe 4.0 gpus are NOT compatible with PCIe 2.0 motherboards. I've tried a 5700 Red dragon to work into an Asus p7p55d-e socket 1156 and will post into BIOS but will black screen permanently before showing the windows 10 logo. No matter which changes i do on bios, it will not enter windows. Now, if you use whatever PCIe 3.0 GPU you get , it will work, no issues, even at default settings. So for me, this is quite clear.  

piskeante wrote:

PCIe 4.0 gpus are NOT compatible with PCIe 2.0 motherboards. I've tried a 5700 Red dragon to work into an Asus p7p55d-e socket 1156 and will post into BIOS but will black screen permanently before showing the windows 10 logo. No matter which changes i do on bios, it will not enter windows. Now, if you use whatever PCIe 3.0 GPU you get , it will work, no issues, even at default settings. So for me, this is quite clear.  

That is a BIOS problem not a hardware one.

I tested a GTX 1060 on an old DDR2 machine and it works fine. So does a GTX 750.

0 Likes

Hi!

Do you know what BIOS definitions i should tinker with? I have a ASUS P5Q DDR2 board and a POWERCOLOR RADEON RX 5600 XT. That's stuck at windows logo or doesn't load the graphics driver.

Thanks!

Best regards!

Pedro

0 Likes

Not sure why it would not be backward compatible that is something that should be brought up to the experts to answer. I absolutely believe it is not working. Hardly the only head scratcher on these Navi cards. Make sure to report exactly that to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
jaxaholic
Journeyman III

I just bought a RTX 3070 and put it on my 1st gen i5, Motherboard P7H55-M with pcie 2.0 works like a champ. total score on 3dmark is 6444 after oc, of course the cpu only score 1800 but gpu score 11719. 

0 Likes

Hi! I have a POWERCOLOR RX5600XT, and a Asus P5Q and C2QUAD 2.66, and i have the same problem with black screen. Any ideas on BIOS configuration, maybe?

The card only works with microsoft generic driver, if i install the amd driver the problems begin. Also, the fan seems erratic, only works during post, then stops during boot. If boot is successfull, after a while it starts rotating, if not i doesn't rotate at all. and sometimes it just stops, with no reason.

Best regards

Pedro

0 Likes