PC Randomly Restarting while watching video

UserBenchmarks: Game 146%, Desk 103%, Work 171%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 98.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 - 147%
SSD: Pcie SSD 2TB - 305.4%
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 4x16GB - 100.8%
MBD: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI)

Specs and userbenchmark to start.

So, I built this PC recently, and if I'm gaming, I've generally not had many problems. Occasionally my PC will restart right when it champion select of a league of legends game ends, and before the game loads. USUALLY, my PC will restart after any amount of time streaming a video. Twitch and Youtube seem fine, but if I'm streaming Hulu, Netflix, or Crunchyroll, my pc turns off, and immediately reboots itself.

I've tried reseating all of the connections in the whole tower (every component from wires to CPU), I've tried replacing my power supply and increasing it. I am not sure how to check if anything is overheating, but I really don't think it's that. I've monitored my CPU temps until I forced a restart, and it doesn't jump above 60-70C.

I'm posting this here because It's an AMD processor at the very least, and I'm really not sure who to ask!

Any ideas?

0 Likes
7 Replies
alphacentauri
Journeyman III

Hey,

I am also having the same issue on AMD Ryzen 9 5900x. Were you able to resolve the issue? Regarding PSU connectors how many power pin's you had plugged on the Motherboard? Any help would be appretiated. Thanks

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
SSD: SATA SSD 500GB 
RAM:  Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Mhz  2 X 16GB
MBD: Asus Rog Strix B550-PLUS (NON WIFI)

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I have Corsair AIO 360 Cooling installed. Temperatures are in under a very good range. CPU temps according to Ryzen Master are in the range of 35 C to 43 C.

System restarts or freezes in gaps of 1-2 hours.  I am going to upgrade PSU in a couple of days. Let see if it solves the issue. Apart from it, I am getting WHEA Cache error in Windows Errors Logs.

0 Likes

WHEA Error with cache herachy? im still having aside these reboots I/O freezes on a B550 aorus and a 5600X. i orderes now a new motherboard to see if it helps sin my crying for help on many different plattforms got no answqer yet

0 Likes

I don't think this is a motherboard issue. This error comes up once a day.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 20

The details view of this entry contains further information.

And my build freezes every 1-2 hours . My build is just 3-4 days old. Freeze issue is most irritating one

CPU : Ryzen 5900x

MB: ASUS Strix ROG B550-F 

RAM : 2 x 16 GB Corsair Venegance LPX 3600Mhz

Cooling : Corair AIO Cooler 360MM

0 Likes

hmmmm. i have APIC ID: 11 but my freezes are random or mor like triggered by specific games. today comes my new motherboard in hopes it helps i can report later after work and changing it 

0 Likes

System restart or freeze normally from two things:

- RAM 

- CPU/Processor 

I had the same issue before with a Ryzen 9 3900x  which had faulty cores that made the random restarts. I had to RMA it and the issue was solved. 

0 Likes

I have disabled today all AMD PBO and CBP. Also disabled Manual RAM clock to Auto. Will try to use RAM at 2666 Mhz.  Need stability rather than having the system restarts again and again. Let's see how it goes. Will keep Posted. Thanks. The last option is to RMA. After doing research, I found WHEA errors and Freezes are all over the internet. Some people solved by RMA, Some by tweaking DRAM voltages, some by upgrading BIOS. Thanks

0 Likes