cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

yozhacki
Adept I

Newbie to AMD

years ago , I switched from Intel to AMD , because Price/performance improvement AMD(on Ryzen 3000) did on CPU's and had no regrets. now decided to switch from NVIDIA to AMD , and bought RX 6950 xt . the first thing I saw was playing BF2042 ,that had some stuttering (I think that's the correct term to say)but I know that the bottleneck from my CPU have a role on this.

now I found that opening packs on FIFA 23 , mad me the game to crash and found that this bug is identified and not fixed yet. and the worst thing I found is that RX 6000 drivers are not updated since November/December and on NVIDIA, every month I had a driver update.

from you that have a AMD GPU by month's/years , what's your feedback on driver's and performance on AMD GPUs ? I'm asking that , because I'm able to return my GPU and buy a NVIDIA one, but I have only 7 day's to do it.

12 Replies

GPUs from AMD are usually "cheaper for similar performance". That's about the only advantage... all the other aspects are often debatably worse: from actual performance to driver issues, to hardware malfunctions. Drivers have always been notoriously problematic.

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
0 Likes

yes the reason I bought was that it's cheaper than Nvidia, but the drivers and what saw some guy's saying that they are disgusting

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Been using AMD GPU's since the old ATI 9600 Pro days,never had much,if any issues.they have always been flawless.Currently running a Strix RX6750XT.The last time I bought an Nvidia Card was the GTX560Ti 448 for a backup rig I had,It died within 30 mins.I have been Happy with what I run.

but what you to say about the drivers ? 

0 Likes

Personally,No issues.I have never used DDU ever,and have no issues,no crashes,blue/black screen crashes.It has worked Great.

0 Likes
macxd
Adept II

I personally can no longer recommend amd gpu's regardless of price/performance. if you can afford it, buy nvidia at least they support the gpu's and they have actual resources that go into the driver dev teams. The trade off's just aren't worth the headaches anymore for owning a amd gpu. 

0 Likes

the think is, I never spent too much on a GPU and to buy a 4070 ti, I will have to spend 130€ comparing that what I've spent on 6950 xt. that's what's making wondering 

0 Likes

My opinion is that 130 extra spent is worth the piece of mind. but its your choice, bit if i go back in time i would have saved up a little more and bought a 3070ti instead of my 6700xt 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I do never tire to tell this story.

I had from Cirrus to S3. Matrox, which was amazing back then, beating nvidia and ati during the Millennium G400MAX golden ERA. Tried 3DFX although never owned one. Eventually, Matrox let me down with the Parhelia, too expensive for inferior performance of a 9000PRO.

Changed to ATi 9000PRO and later to a 9700PRO
From that time it was all ATi or AMD flagships or high end. No regrets.
Bought recently a RX6800 super happy so far, upgraded from a RX480 that was a true warrior.

Had nvidia in secondary builds and often work with them at work, just configured last week a 3080 for our designers.

My personal opinion is: Nvidia Drivers are just awful, I'm sorry but this is what I feel. The GUI looks ancient and its hard to navigate or find options. It is sometimes buggy.
I understand that AMD drivers have a terrible reputation and I won't even try to convince anyone otherwise but at least they are smooth and good looking. Easy to navigate too.

Can't really say about non-WHQL drivers because I cannot use them, they won't work properly with my video editor.

I always say this in the end. One of the most buggiest piece of software I've seen, and I use it ALWAYS! Every day! ALL THE TIME!

Is Armoury Crate

I need it to control every piece of harware I have from Republic of Gamers. Its a absolute nightmare and a lottery when updating. Guess what? 

johnnyenglish_0-1674857436576.png

PS: At the time of writing, my RoG keyboard just crashed. I have to reboot.

The Englishman

thank you for sharing the story , but let me clarify one thing, do you use it for design or gaming ?

AMD Adrenalin I think it's better than GeForce experience, the only thing it's confusing me it's the long time since they updated drivers for last gen cards and the game I spent more time , crashs when we open packs.

btw , one thing that made buy AMD was that FSR 3.0 will be available for my GPU only by updating it

Currently I use it for video editing and content creation as I game much less than before.

I do occasionally game but no issues, my last one was with my ram XMP profile.

The Englishman
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I personally have not had major problems with the AMD drivers for their video cards.  I've only had a few Nvidia video cards so it's not fair for me to comment on them.  The earlier ATI cards (ATI was bought by AMD many years ago) were good too.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".