cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

nathan5
Adept I

new r7 5800x turning off at 65 degrees after playing game for 2 min

pc feels fast and smooth idle temp is around 45. After opening games for 2 min pc just shuts down. No error code no lag stutter or anything just turns off.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I did extreme occt test on cpu gpu and power for 20min each because pc was turning off after 2 min gaming session. highest cpu temp was 82 gpu temp was 75 but pc didnt turn off XD. Now I am just lost

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

Check in the BIOS if there is a CPU shutdown temperature set.

Shutdown could also be power supply over-current protection kicking in. What are the rest of your system specs including power supply and graphics card?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

But honestly if your gpu is clocked to fast you will reset completely.  It’s very common because a clean install sometimes will Over clock the gpu too high.  Every Radeon I have. “7 of them”. Was over clocked to high”

rx7900xt hellhound clocks at 2840mhz run it at 2650

rx7800xt hellhound 2890mhz 

rx7900gre hellhound

rx7800xt pulse

rx6600xt xfx

rx7600xt xfx 309?  Crazy speed on this one 2890mhz

rx6800core. Xfx 319
all of them clocked way to high with a clean install and driver reinstall.  Slow it down to the correct boost speed of your gpu.  Just look up the spec to your card and use those numbers in Adrenalin software.

you can find that info at techpowerup.  Should give you your MHz speeds my xfx rx7600xt max is 2755mhz. Not 2890mhz. Lmao. 

0 Likes

I am not at home cant check right now

psu:corsair 750w 80plus (i think it was something with bronze)

gpu: rtx 3070ti (couldnt find rx6800xt in my area)

ram: 2x 8gb ram dont remember manifacture

motherboard: Asrock dont remember model but bios updated to date

0 Likes

You should be fine with the 750w.  When you say your gaming for 2 mins feel like your crashing due to the cards settings.  And I do know the Nvidia card do just turn off during a crash and reset or even turn off the pc.  This is known with having the boost all the way up 20percent.  Try default card speeds and power boost at 0.  And take it from there.  I’ll be around all day tomorrow and we have a board repair shop,  so always into something computer, laptop related.

0 Likes

I did extreme occt test on cpu gpu and power for 20min each because pc was turning off after 2 min gaming session. highest cpu temp was 82 gpu temp was 75 but pc didnt turn off XD. Now I am just lost

0 Likes

SOLVED. when I run memory check/ram health check pc just shut down. 1 ram stick is dead when I seated new cpu. dont know why. 

JohWill
Adept II

I had issues like this on a brand new build and you won’t believe me but I reseated the processor.  Been running months now. Just sometimes a pin or two don’t make great contact even brand new..  just a heads up..  and yes am4 socket too..

0 Likes

gonna try this

nathan5
Adept I

I am not at home cant check right now

psu:corsair 750w 80plus (i think it was something with bronze)

gpu: rtx 3070ti

ram: 2x 8gb ram dont remember manifacture

motherboard: Asrock dont remember model but bios updated to date

0 Likes
JohWill
Adept II

Na. It’s not dead. It can’t run at a higher speed and crashes.  If you slowed it down in bios I bet you it would be ok.   The new cpu and ram don’t like each other.  Since it did run and start into windows, the stick is working.  A dead stick of ram, the computer will not post.  At least you got somewhere tho!!  Good find!!  

0 Likes

Oh also try a re-seat on the cpu too.  Then retest the ram.   All those pins from ddr ram goto the cpu.  Like I said I had that issue too and it was a pin or pins on the socket not making a connection.  I opened it and closed the lever a few times.  All parts were brand new too. Mb - gigabyte, processor 5800x, force 2x16 rgb sticks.  

0 Likes