cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Rodk
Adept I

My Amd FX 8350 is abysmally low, I found the issue but...

Hi God bless. Due to some of the following statements, it might seem as if I have reasonable computer knowledge but I don't. I only investigated for a couple of hours.

I've had my computer for a couple of years now and it turns out I have a somewhat good processor amd fx 8350 but according to its capacity, it has always been performing abysmally low in my pc. The memory is always on 2.8Ghz instead of 4.0Ghz. I tried enabling XMP/DOCP settings on the Bios to get set speed of the memory to the base rate, the base clock of 4.0GHz but the option is not available. According to logic, my motherboard is responsible for this issue. I have a GA-78LMT-S2PT (rev. 4.0/4.1). Can someone please confirm this?

I'm a video editor. Yesterday I contracted the Adobe After Effects CC service. Right now, I am using VEGAS video editor: This software does not use pre-rendering. What I mean to say is, that it does not make you wait a couple of seconds to preview in good quality the selected area of your video. On average, I use 1080p or 720p videos on my projects. I always lower the preview quality to: ''preview'' (which in this software means average quality). The result is a 90% smooth video preview. When a certain part of the edited area has video fx applied to about 10 tracks of video clips to create a 10 second motion video animation, then I usually see like 1 frame every 5 seconds. I then must lower the quality to the lowest (Draft). I then go to the sublevel to lower it to its lowest quality(quarter). The result I see, is always very little lagging but of course very blurry. I've worked like this for years. I never put much attention to this because I didn't  mind seeing a blurry live preview, even though I can't see the details. But now its different. After Effects software is, as we know, is top notch.

Yesterday, after installing Adobe software, I tried using After Effects and after opening the program, a notification popped out. My NVIDIA Geforce GT 730 is incompatible. That’s when all this investigation began which led me to search for a new motherboard and a new graphics card. Anyway, I disregarded the notification and used After Effects to test it out. I imported a project template, it was very laggy. Like about one frame per second but it was in HD quality. I didn’t test it in low quality.

I then went online to search for benchmarks for nvidia gt 730 card and it was terribly low (about an average of 4 points out of 100). I'm searching for a graphics card that will allow me to see a smooth low-quality video preview in a professional multilayered After Effects project. The answer closest to my question was found in various gamer forums (this question was always presented in these forums). They say that ''before bottlenecking the amd fx 8350'' the best graphics card to pair it up an amd fx 8350 is an RX 580 or a GTX 1060. I never play video games so my question is, do I necessarily need this quality card for my needs? If so, I will definitely buy it because more expensive cards will ''bottleneck'' my processor.

I urgently need a motherboard to at least get the and processor running at its base 4 Ghz level. The graphics card should be bought after (am I getting it right?) I do not know how to overclock and I am not interested in overclocking. I am however interested in music production, I don't know if getting a specific motherboard matters. I will be using a top notch sampling software called KONTAKT along with an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen, most likely) I don't think I will necessarily need a motherboard with a USB 3 connection.

My main question is, which motherboards are best for my production needs? I'd also like to know your opinion regarding the graphics card to pair it up. The Lord God bless you. Thank you for the support. Jesus loves you.

GA-78LMT-S2PT (rev. 4.0/4.1)

Amd FX 8350

NVIDIA Geforce GT 730

Windows 10 Home 64bits

16GB of RAM

Hi. Jesus Christ is the way to restore our relationship with God! Believe, Repent, and He will forgive you and be with you.
0 Likes
1 Solution

I believe you may have found the answer yourself.

I just went to your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT List and your FX8350 is not listed as being supported.

That probably explains why your processor is running so slow of a speed.  The FX8350 isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard due to the BIOS: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2PT-rev-40-41/support#support-cpu

Screenshot 2020-11-21 063649.png

The FX8100 CPU is a 95 Watt CPU while the FX8350 is a 125 watt CPU which is why it isn't listed. It is not compatible with your 95 Watt maximum limit motherboard.

Gigabyte will need to update the BIOS to make your FX8350 compatible with your motherboard.

NOTE: Read about the problem you were having replying to your thread which I read in General Discussion thread you opened.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I also have a FX8350 CPU. It is an excellent processor but a very high TDP 125 watt processor.

It is possible your processor is reaching it Maximum Operating Temperature of 61C quickly under moderate to heavy loads so you need a CPU Cooler with a TDP of at least 150 watts.

I was using a CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO (150 Watt TDP CPU Cooler) which maintained my Processor at or below 60C under heavy loads or stress.

When the Processor's temperature is reaching 61C or goes above, the Processor automatically slows down to reduce the amount of power it uses and to lower the processor's temperature back to 61C  or below.

To verify your issue is temperature related, install a Monitoring software to check the temps while you are using it.

Or download OCCT and run the CPU test and keep a very close eye on temps while running the CPU test.

At the very top of OCCT under settings set the Maximum Temperature to 65C so that OCCT will stop the test when the processor's temperature during the test reaches 65C.

If temps are good then post back with more information on your computer setup and any error messages that occurs.

While your processor was great when new it really is super slow by current video editing standards a  Zen 2 or 3 Ryzen processor would really make a huge difference. Of course going that route means new board, cpu and ram. Maybe a new PSU too if yours doesn't meet the new hardwares requirements. You could likely re-use your old drives and such but if you have not gone SSD or NVME yet then I can tell you that can really help increase render times too if you are still writing to an old spinning disk.

If you really are wanting a new board processor and gpu then honestly the question is what is your budget? I can tell you that more CPU is going to help you more than more GPU. For instance a Ryzen with more cores will garner more speed than going from a budget low end GPU to a high end one. 

When it comes to video editing, most software really likes at least 32gb but 64gb at a minimum system memory these days to edit at 4k would be best. The more CPU cores you can throw at it the better. I would be looking at nothing bellow a Ryzen 8 core CPU. If you can spring for a 5900 12 core or when available that would be a great home users CPU for editing. Honestly last gen 39-- or 3950 would be great too for you.  While a new AMD gpu will likely be better than what your older green team card can provide I really can't say that a Red team card is going to be the best for affter effects. While the software is absolutely compatible with the AMD cards a large part of the plug ins you might want to ultimate buy and use are not, they are written for CUDA. Plus CUDA with Adobe IMHO does work a bit faster too. However the AMD cards are fine products and will get the job done just much slower do to lack of the same optimization. This is not AMDs fault that is on the developers. However reality is reality, it's just a fact not a preference. Frankly right now the only mid level card you can likely find that is consumer level card, is a Navi 1st gen card. Pretty much all else is sold out. However on the budget end the GTX  1650 or 1660 variants can still be found and would be good video editing cards for a home user.

If money is no object a thread ripper cpu, with 128gb or more with a pro workstation card would really gain you some speed. Also be a lot more expensive. 

You can find some pretty good last gen cards that would be way more powerful than yours at cheaper prices used. Since you are not gaming that is a great way to get a pro level card on the cheep or a non pro card with a bit more speed and more ram. Buying used though can sometimes be risky so if you go that right, if it seems to good to be true of a price it likely is so be careful. Combine that with a nifty new Ryzen cpu and goodly amount of ram and I think you would be really happy. 

If you have a budget in mind I am sure several of us would be happy to help you figure out some good choices for your money. 

Just lets us know what your realistic needs are and I know @elstaci or I would be happy to help. 

Oh this is a good site that illustrates some of the card choices too and what the differences are. 

https://appuals.com/best-graphics-cards-for-video-editing/

It seems like I misread his post.

I realize now that besides overheating is just the processor isn't powerful enough for his video rendering application thus it is slow.

When the OP mentioned that his CPU was slow, the first thing that came into my mind was that it was overheating and throttling all the time which is possible since rendering puts a very heavy load on the CPU. With such a high wattage CPU I was thinking it might be overheating.

But upgrading to a Ryzen 8 or 12 core processor with fast RAM Memory and a high quality Motherboard and GPU card should make his rendering go much much faster and more efficient than the FX8350.

Appauls is one of my favorite websites to link to except I always warn the OP not to download its "Recommended" software which I consider to be a scam but the information is very good and valid though.

Hey guys, thanks for the response. :smileyhappy:

Earlier today I was about to edit my previous statement because I read all over the net that motherboards cannot cause a processor to bottleneck. Now I found out that it technically can when there is incompatibility. I now know for sure the FX 8350 (125 watts) will not work (in its full capacity?) with my previously mentioned motherboard that indeed has an am3+ socket (FX 8350 compatible) but it has a 95-watt limitation. Therefore, it makes it incompatible. I removed the link gigabyte motherboard link because the bot in this forum thinks it is spam.

@elstaci Even out of the package, from the very first day, I noticed my processor was running at 2.8Ghz and not its 4.0Ghz base clock. Even when I only surf the web and use basic applications such as Microsoft Word or an internet Explorer, the processor was always fixed at 2.8Ghz. I’m sure it's because of the 95-watt limitation. I did ask computer knowledgeable people but they said that a FX 8350 4.0Ghz base clock was ''overclock'' and too risky. I insisted that according to my little investigation that it was not overclocking but I didn't want to argue. :smileyhappy:

I executed the OCCT program. Set the critical temperature to 65° and clicked on the play button to run the test. About 8 minutes after the test began, on the left side column of the OCCT window, I clicked on ''monitor''. I was presented with a monitoring graph and 1. Amd Fx 8350 temperature values 2. Motherboard temperature values 3. The graphics card values. Out of the 3, the only one that had a checkmark was the graphics card. So I check-marked the rest of the boxes to see the live temperature graph in action. Each time I clicked on a box to mark a checkmark, I could audibly hear the pc lower its performance. I then checked on the main OCCT window and ''Overheated'' message was present. I then stopped the test. Here is what I captured after the test.

1. AMD FX-8350 - CPU (Tctl) reached a value of 36°, Minimum of 36°, and a Max of 54°
  2. Gigabyte Motherboard reached a value of 48°, Minimum of 47°, and a Max of 58°

Below the motherboard area, it also says CPU which reached a value of 59°, Minimum of 59° and a Max of 73°

1. Nvidia Geforce gt 730 GPU temperature reached a value of 52°, Minimum of 51°, and a Max of 54°

Before the test, I had been using my pc all day long but no heavy software was used at all. 10 minutes after the test, I ran another test and unchecked all boxes except for the AMD FX 8350 CPU (TCtl). I had it running for 30 minutes and it had an average temperature of 52°. The motherboard CPU section was at 71°. The motherboard itself was at 57° average and the graphics card had an average of 54°.

@pokester I can’t really understand your green and red team card statement? :smileyhappy: I suppose the green team is the company that created my gt 730 graphics card. I don’t know who is the red team. I might be using advanced computer language here and there, but I am a complete noob. Thanks. My intention is to buy a new (from long ago) motherboard that supports the fx8350 to get it running at its 4.0 base clock. I have NO budget for it, I will save up. I am from Mexico and live in Mexico and had a difficult time during the current world crisis. My intention was to use After Effects software to launch my service online but now I have the motherboard & graphics card problem. I actually thought I had a good PC, I guess I was scammed when I bought the parts a couple of years ago but God is good. :heart: If I buy a compatible 125-watt capacity motherboard, I suppose it would automatically set the 2.8Ghz to a 4.0Ghz clock base. Would this make a difference for After Effects video editing? My plan save some money, replace the motherboard but keep the trashy-level graphics card, start video editing for my online service, save some money, sell my pc but now with a 4.0Ghz base clock, and finally buy parts for a completely new build, with a Ryzen processor most likely. This is an emergency and temporary thing. 5 months maybe. I am not wealthy but I want to make investments. I will definitely check if all parts of a build I plan to make are compatible with my needs. I will double-check with you guys. With professionals. Thank you for the link you shared. @pokester thank you for the warning. I will check the awesome site but be careful. :smileyhappy:

Thank you for the advice, God bless. :heart:

Hi. Jesus Christ is the way to restore our relationship with God! Believe, Repent, and He will forgive you and be with you.
0 Likes

Hey guys, thanks for the response. :smileyhappy:

Earlier today I was about to edit my previous statement because I read all over the net that motherboards cannot cause a processor to bottleneck. Now I found out that it technically can when there is incompatibility. I now know for sure the FX 8350 (125 watts) will not work (in its full capacity?) with my previously mentioned motherboard that indeed has an am3+ socket (FX 8350 compatible) but it has a 95-watt limitation. Therefore, it makes it incompatible.

@elstaci Even out of the package, from the very first day, I noticed my processor was running at 2.8Ghz and not its 4.0Ghz base clock. Even when I only surf the web and use basic applications such as Microsoft Word or an internet Explorer, the processor was always fixed at 2.8Ghz. I’m sure it's because of the 95-watt limitation. I did ask computer knowledgeable people but they said that a FX 8350 4.0Ghz base clock was ''overclock'' and too risky. I insisted that according to my little investigation that it was not overclocking but I didn't want to argue. :smileyhappy:

I executed the OCCT program. Set the critical temperature to 65° and clicked on the play button to run the test. About 8 minutes after the test began, on the left side column of the OCCT window, I clicked on ''monitor''. I was presented with a monitoring graph and 1. Amd Fx 8350 temperature values 2. Motherboard temperature values 3. The graphics card values. Out of the 3, the only one that had a checkmark was the graphics card. So I check-marked the rest of the boxes to see the live temperature graph in action. Each time I clicked on a box to mark a checkmark, I could audibly hear the pc lower its performance. I then checked on the main OCCT window and ''Overheated'' message was present. I then stopped the test. Here is what I captured after the test.

AMD FX-8350 - CPU (Tctl) reached a value of 36°, Minimum of 36°, and a Max of 54°
Motherboard reached a value of 48°, Minimum of 47°, and a Max of 58°
Below the motherboard area, it also says CPU which reached a value of 59°, Minimum of 59° and a Max of 73°

Gt 730 GPU temperature reached a value of 52°, Minimum of 51°, and a Max of 54°

Before the test, I had been using my pc all day long but no heavy software was used at all. 10 minutes after the test, I ran another test and unchecked all boxes except for the AMD FX 8350 CPU (TCtl). I had it running for 30 minutes and it had an average temperature of 52°. The motherboard CPU section was at 71°. The motherboard itself was at 57° average and the graphics card had an average of 54°.

@pokester I can’t really understand your green and red team card statement? :smileyhappy: I suppose the green team is the company that created my gt 730 graphics card. I don’t know who is the red team. I might be using advanced computer language here and there, but I am a complete noob. Thanks. My intention is to buy a new (from long ago) motherboard that supports the fx8350 to get it running at its 4.0 base clock. I have NO budget for it, I will save up. I am from Mexico and live in Mexico and had a difficult time during the current world crisis. My intention was to use my new video editing software to launch my service online but now I have the motherboard & graphics card problem. I actually thought I had a good PC, I guess I was scammed when I bought the parts a couple of years ago but God is good. :heart: If I buy a compatible 125-watt capacity motherboard, I suppose it would automatically set the 2.8Ghz to a 4.0Ghz clock base. Would this make a difference for AE video editing? My plan save some money, replace the motherboard but keep the trashy-level graphics card, start video editing for my online service, save some money, sell my pc but now with a 4.0Ghz base clock, and finally buy parts for a completely new build, with a Ryzen processor most likely. This is an emergency and temporary thing. 5 months maybe. I am not wealthy but I want to make investments. I will definitely check if all parts of a build I plan to make are compatible with my needs. I will double-check with you guys. With professionals. Thank you for the link you shared. @pokester  thank you for the warning. I will check the awesome site but be careful. :smileyhappy:

Thank you for the advice, God bless. :heart:

0 Likes

I believe you may have found the answer yourself.

I just went to your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT List and your FX8350 is not listed as being supported.

That probably explains why your processor is running so slow of a speed.  The FX8350 isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard due to the BIOS: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2PT-rev-40-41/support#support-cpu

Screenshot 2020-11-21 063649.png

The FX8100 CPU is a 95 Watt CPU while the FX8350 is a 125 watt CPU which is why it isn't listed. It is not compatible with your 95 Watt maximum limit motherboard.

Gigabyte will need to update the BIOS to make your FX8350 compatible with your motherboard.

NOTE: Read about the problem you were having replying to your thread which I read in General Discussion thread you opened.

Please respond to this message, if you can see this message. A ''you're welcome is good enough''.

We found the issue but I have two questions. Thank you, guys. I appreciate your time & work! 

0 Likes