cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft Does it Again! Screws up that is....

So Friday I had an employee come to me that they could not print. Scratching my head I did the normal things, restarting, checking updates, re-installing printer drivers and letting Windows trouble shooter fix it. Nothing worked. It was the end of the day and I decided to try Monday. Coming in Monday we now had several users with the same issue.

Turns out MS, began pushing out a security update which seems to vary in it's KB XXXXXXXX name but it will be the latest one since the 1st of October if you too suddenly can't print. I can verify this affects 1803 and 1809 as well not just 1903.

Here is an article on this from Bleeping Computer:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-1903-kb4522016-cumulative-update-breaks-p... 

0 Likes
10 Replies

It's even worse than that, as the patch which was supposed to fix printing broke Start...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-start-menu-not-working-error-update-kb4524147-microsoft,40574.html

in addition to KB4524147 I have seen the patch be KB4524148. I went through on our machines and paused updates for a couple weeks. Hope they have it sorted by then.

Thanks for the update!

0 Likes

I know our IT department secures all our updates via WSUS. If it screws up one of their test machines, it doesn't hit ours.

0 Likes

Oh I can tell you also that the security update to Windows 7 also breaks printing on some computers.

0 Likes

Still makes me wonder what it is Microsoft is actually changing when a security or feature update breaks something seemingly completely unrelated, such as printing.

0 Likes

It just matters where they fix the security flaw in the core or one of the dependencies. Anywhere along the line seemingly unrelated things can get messed up. The print spooler for instance relies on the http service.

0 Likes

Windows 10, like 8 and 7 before it is still built off the Windows Vista kernel.  This is the longest that Microsoft has run without a major kernel overhaul.  So yeah, all those features are being add on top of existing source code and other features.  After a while, it is difficult to know exactly what code is referencing what when you make a change.

Even worse that since Windows 10 is the "last version of Windows" according to Microsoft, it's only going to get worse as long as they continue to monkey with things they shouldn't.

It's one reason I consider Windows 2000 to be the best Windows OS. It was just OS, everything you added to it pretty much was additional software, unlike Windows 10 where Microbrain tries to make the OS be everything...

pokester wrote:

Oh I can tell you also that the security update to Windows 7 also breaks printing on some computers.

My Canon MB2320 is a network attached asset and so far it has been unaffected however I have had to restart the machine the odd time when it disappears off the LAN

0 Likes