cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Tempest03
Journeyman III

low fps with low cpu and gpu usage

I upgraded my pc this summer to a 4070, 32GM RAM and a 850 Watt psu. i also got a 1440p 165hz monitor to play on and the pc have always been a little slow in games but nothing too bad. The problem started now when i realized my cpu or gpu stays around 30 to 50% usage and in most games i never get over 80 fps and most off the time im stuck on or under 60 fps. I have reinstalled EVERYTHING and it still wont work as it should. What could be the problem? I think it could be the cpu but i want to know what others think. Sometimes i also get extreme delay on my keyboard where my caracter moves for several seconds after i stop touching my keyboard. I also downloaded MSI afterburner and it shows that there is almost always one core that is at least on 70% usage and ofter goes up to 90/100%

My SPECS:

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700

Memory: PNY XLR8 2x16 GB 

GPU: ASUS 4070 OC edition

Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 evo plus and a seagate barracuda 2 TB harddrive 

PSU: ROG-STRIX 850 W 80+ gold

Windows 11

0 Likes
1 Reply
VarHar
Adept I

It looks like you have several issues, Im also skipping all the potential software issues because you said you reinstalled everything.

For the high single core usage, it depends what you are doing, you should be able to see what program uses these resouces, if its windows, look into windows optimization sripts, if the source of high usage is not showing up on device manager, its drivers, look into installing older versions.

For the stutters, if it is a pc freeze, try to lower mouse dpi but have higher sencitivity instead, read up on switching gpu interrupt mode too. If the stutter affects only part of your system, its probably a mbo fault, try to use different usb ports and upgrade/downgrade bios.

For low fps, i'd check gpu settings especially g-sync

Sorry for such a generic response, more info is required to narrow it down. Your specific mbo is known for memory issues so try also running with a single stick of ram

0 Likes