cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

sungeo
Journeyman III

In Multi-Gpu scenario, Primary GPU always performs better than secondary GPU

In my software, i have a functionality to playback of images. This playback needs to maintain 30 fps.

My machine has 2 AMD WX5100 GPUs with 2 monitors connected to each GPU.

When one of the monitor is made the “Make this my main display” from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display, then this GPU becomes the primary GPU and the other GPU becomes the secondary GPU.

After this when i playback the images in both the monitors, the monitor connected to the primary GPU gets 30 fps playback, whereas the playback in the monitor connected to the secondary GPU gets only 24 fps.

Now if the main display setting is reversed, the performance will also be reversed.

Why is this performance difference based on the primary and secondary GPU. Please help.

0 Likes
5 Replies

The HD 6970 I used came from a miner, and that card sold for peanuts. I used that card which had an aftermarket cooler on it which made it run way cooler so gaming with it was excellent.

running a setup like that is unorthox but i have seen mashups like that. I bought a slightly used EVGA GTX 660 Ti Signature 2 from somebody who wanted to run 6 panels. he bought a pair of GTX Titans to handle the work. I used that card for several years as it was powerful for 1920x1080 gaming.

Now with a 4K panel I need to use a GTX 1060 which came from a miner who divested of cards galore.

If you run all the panels from a single card them the cards can be teamed.Otherwise there are simply two cards being managed by Windows.

0 Likes
dickydck
Adept I

I have a semi similar question revolving around this. I have 2 R9-290X cards, and I would like some apps to use one card and some to use the other. I do not have Crossfire enabled so I can run 6 monitors, 3 on each. Does AMD have any way to select an app to use a specific card?

0 Likes

dickydck wrote:

I have a semi similar question revolving around this. I have 2 R9-290X cards, and I would like some apps to use one card and some to use the other. I do not have Crossfire enabled so I can run 6 monitors, 3 on each. Does AMD have any way to select an app to use a specific card?

that falls to Windows to manage a larger desktop environment

Thanks for the response, kinda figured it would be something on the Windows level.

0 Likes
nikaranik46
Journeyman III

thanks i spent quite some time looking how to change primary GPU and no answer. But your question helped me understand more.. kudos

0 Likes