cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

griff1952
Adept I

I have jumped ship

Hi everyone, long time INTEL user going to give AMD a try... It has been maddening trying to settle on something. Hope the forum will be of some help in that regard.

0 Likes
14 Replies

Can you clarify exactly what you are asking as far as AMD Hardware or software?

0 Likes

If you haven't already purchased any hardware I would tell you to take a hard look at Intel's Alderlake based cpu's before you commit to anything as they are packing the goods.  Although every desktop and laptop I have in the house is running AMD ATM I go back and forth depending on which one gives me the best performance.

If I were building a new pc right now I'd take a hard look at the 12900k with ddr5 6000 ram on a z690 mb.  If building an AMD system a 5950x on x570 mid grade or higher mb with 32gb of the highest supported ram the board will take.

Hey, I don't do a lot as in I am not a gamer or content creator. Mostly stream and check my email ;)... I have been happy with my Lenovo 93p win 11 however soon win 11 will not work on it so I have been thinking about building a new system. Everything runs thru my Onkyo 626 receiver to a 65 inch Vizio TV that I am going to replace with a 4k unit soon. I like the B500 series boards with a middle of the road cpu, gpu undecided.

0 Likes

Hi @griff1952 

If I were you, I would consider buying a Ryzen 5 5600G, then with 8-16GB of RAM.

Its' "CPU" part is already on a next level in terms of performance, and then in addition to that, the 5600G has unmatched integrated Radeon Graphics compared to Intel Integrated Graphics as far as I am aware. Therefore, it is actually called an "Accelerated Processing Unit" (APU).

In conclusion, it can handle everyday tasks without any problem and it will be able to do e-sports gaming. Thereafter, you can save two years for a GPU and the 5600G will still be able to handle AAA games with a breeze on the CPU/logic side of the game.

Hope this helps, you don't need more threads than the 5600G (6cores with SMT; thus 12 logical threads).

Kind regards

that is the processor I have in my parts picker with the Asus Tuf B500m Plus

I really think it is the best option if you do not want to jump into expensive gaming immediately, but it will be a solid processor for years to come, and you initially do not require a dedicated GPU.

0 Likes
griff1952
Adept I

Okay boys here is my decision.... I know its way over kill but there is a method to my madness. Much of it is future proofing and **bleep** that case is so so nice. Because the type c on the front IO is important to me I had to step up on the motherboard a bit and the audio codex is about as good as it gets imho. Now I need to figure out my justification before the credit card statement gets here...... 

Please look it over and let me know if there is something I over or under looked. Thanks

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7JRFBc

@griff1952 

It looks really nice to me, I think if you can afford it, it would be a nice buy. Just don't expect too much from the Integrated Graphics, although it will be able to open most, if not any game. But, that CPU itself should be awesome.

I think my cousin actually bought that motherboard a few months ago and he has been really happy as far as I remember.

0 Likes

hey... after doing some research, double and triple checking I changed out the motherboard for the x570-e. pcpartspicker likes it without any notices or warnings and provides cool options down the road should I decide to go there.

Hi @griff1952 

That looks just as awesome, and I presume it will have better cooling for the (power phases / mosfets / VRMs) or likely more power phases, since that is usually the case with higher model motherboards. They sometimes support better overclocking, sound chips, more SATA ports, etc.

It all comes down to your personal preference and how high you have set your budget. From personal experience, it is sometimes better to get the motherboard you want, because it happened to me that I felt silly since I initially bought a motherboard that was part of a bundle and later on found out that it cannot overclock, and therefore I later bought a better motherboard for the same CPU.

But, I am relatively certain both those motherboards you are investigating can overclock, not that I think it will be necessary on that processor for most of its' lifetime.

Kind regards

Jumping requires risks if there is not a valid reason to do so:

Screenshot_1.png

0 Likes
GaryDp
Journeyman III

If I were you and you've been an Intel user, I'd stay with Intel.  The Ryzen 5600G has died before the 1 year mark for me in fact the CPU was never used in any length of time since I don't use AMD for my work horse computers or gaming.  It was mainly used for a Dj setup and it was put away since, and recently used and a few weeks after a friend used the PC it died suddenly NO SIGNAL black screen.  CPU exhibited a heating problem at idle for me in more than one motherboard, it died on a new MSI B450m Pro motherboard with diag LED stating CPU. 

None of my Intel CPU's have ever failed none, and I've used them since the early 90s.  From Celerons to i7 13th gen.  My gaming PC is a 13th gen i7.  I purchased an Ryzen 9 5900x just to test AMD again and if this fails before a 1 year old i7 13th gen then AMD has a serious problem with their CPU's. 

0 Likes

This is kind of an old topic but even so, a single user report doesn't mean much to failures rates. Sometimes not even a big retailer do much for that matter.

As for me, during personal use, never had a single CPU fail except the Pentium 2.

On the IT side, lost track of how much i5 that died on Dell Workstations, well over 200+
6th gen was the worst. 

And if they were some sort of widespread failure going on, tech tubers would be all over it like they did on the "Frying 7000 CPU's hype" last year.

The Englishman
0 Likes