cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Good CPU/MB/Ram for a RX 6750XT?

Goal: To get really solid 1440p 60Hz v-sync gaming at high/ultra on new titles.

Games: Starfield, Cyberpunk 2077, No Mans Sky, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Metro Exodus, Witcher 3, Crysis (2007), etc I recently bought an MSI RX 6750XT Twin to upgrade my GPU and get Starfield for free.

History: Gamed for years with an i5-4440 and Zotac 1060 AMP 6GB on a BioStar HiFi B85N (version 5.2) since 2017. Planned to buy better 1150 CPU and 1150 MB. These would be my "new to me" gaming parts and the BioStar MB was to be retired to a pfsense firewall. I bought a used CPU (i7-4790), but never could find another 1150 MB I wanted. Current: I bought a MSI RX 6750XT Twin, a used i7-4790, and a Thermaltake SPD-750 PSU. With my old system the i5 was a crazy bottleneck for the 1060. Funny enough online "bottleneck" calculators listed the GPU as the bottleneck but after upgrading my CPU the i5 was certainly a bottleneck.

Asking for: I've decided to go all in with team Red and want to buy a new AMD CPU, a MB, and Ram. I would really appreciate some help picking out parts to go with my new 6750. I'm willing to spend what it takes to find an optimal paring without the need for future proofing. I game on a 4K 47" tv at 60Hz with HDR. My goal is to get really solid 1440p 60Hz v-sync gaming at high to ultra on new titles. I don't have a defined budget. I want a good paring that isn't over the top with features. I would like to use Smart Access Memory and am willing to spend money for fast tight memory (16GB or 32GB) and a MB that can use it. I don't need wifi but it's okay if not much more. Optical audio out would be a big bonus. And I think I'll end up buying a Samsung 990 Pro SSD for OS and a few games. I don't trust online bottleneck calculators and am asking the community for help.

0 Likes
8 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Not sure what budget you have but if you are are willing to spend and all you want is to game. The obvious answer is 7800X3D.

Check a board partner you are comfortable with, check the QVL carefully and get 32gb 6000 Hynix cl30 and rock and roll. 

AM5 is already a future proof board so don't cheap out on this. Top tier B650e or at least mid tier X670e with good VRM design.

Good luck 

The Englishman

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to go all out and I don't have a budget but wouldn't those parts turn the 6750XT into the bottleneck? I don't need to future proof. Just want parts that compliment the GPU really well. I'm fine with AM4 and good CPU. 

0 Likes

In CPU intensive tasks there is minimal bottleneck at 1440p, in GPU intensive tasks You will run into a pretty obvious bottleneck up to 17%. Most games are GPU bound, however you won't lose much, you are just letting it work at full potential minus the CPU, this part won't be at its best.

If you don't want any future proofing then 5800X3D is a no brainer and an amazing CPU.

johnnyenglish_0-1691365907710.png

johnnyenglish_1-1691365941642.png

The Englishman
n64bomb
Journeyman III

ryzen 5 5600

0 Likes

You can decide which hardware is best for gaming by inputting the CPU, RAM, & GPU. If  will give if there is any bottle-necking and FPS in various Resolutions & games: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

The website will give you a general idea of what type of FPS and bottle-necking you might encounter with various hardware installed.

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Currently Running The ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark,5800X and 32G of Corsair 3600Mhz Vengence RGB Pro with a Strix 6750XT and have 0 issues with anything,been flawless.

hawkmanw
Adept III

I think an AM4 system would best complement your recent GPU purchase. Might as well take advantage of RDNA2 and Infinity Cache. The best AM4 CPU for gaming is the 5800X3D. Regarding your motherboard I’m torn between the B550 or X570 chipset. Both will allow resizable BAR aka. Smart Access Memory (SAM).  Two sticks of 3600 MHz RAM is best for Ryzen with as low latency as your budget allows.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI B550 Tomahawk, XFX RX6950XT WB edition, 64G 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
0 Likes
tenzo23
Elite

I also have the 6750 XT and I'm running it with a Ryzen 7 5800X,  ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 MB, and 32GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Ripjaws CL16. I play at 1440p high/ultra, Freesync enabled on a 75Hz monitor and the system plays nice and smooth with no drops. Only thing I'd change, or recommend to you, is to go for the 5800X3D for even better gaming and also cooler temps.

That is, if you choose to go with AM4.

BxmO4vK

Like others have said though, AM5 is the future of AMD up until 2026, and it'll be ready for Zen 5, PCIe 5.0, RDNA 3.5, and so on. If you really want to go all out, that's the way to go! For example, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RGJw9r

Your GPU won't be a bottleneck to the system. A bottleneck would be if the rest of the system wasn't strong enough to power your GPU to its fullest.

/sig Fun guy.
0 Likes