Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

afernandezody
Adept II

Disabling hyperthreading on EPYC-2

Hello AMD team,
I'm trying to disable hyperthreading in an EPYC-2 machine running on Ubuntu 18.04. I was thinking of adding 'noht' to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" line? I know that this was originally developed for other processors so I'm unsure if this syntax is supposed to work for AMD.
Thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies

I suggest you post at this more appropriate AMD Forum AMD Server Gurus‌ that deals with Servers and EPYC processors and programming.

Hi @elstaci,

Thanks. I got the answer to the question from other source.

(I tried to post in the server guru forum about a couple of weeks ago; it was a different question but never got the approval and the question was never actually posted, not sure why).

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

I guess AMD Server Gurus also requires you to be "Whitelisted" to have access.

In the future, post your question here for Newcomers: Newcomers Start Here‌.

There you will probably be Whitelisted by a Moderator to post at any AMD Developer Forum.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

I guess AMD Server Gurus also requires you to be "Whitelisted" to have access.

In the future, post your question here for Newcomers: Newcomers Start Here.

There you will probably be Whitelisted by a Moderator to post at any AMD Developer Forum.

I have the AMD and Intel developer manuals and I do see a hyperthreading option with Intel BIOS but but not for AMD for some reason.

0 Likes

Hi hardcoregames™‌,

I don't have access to the BIOS so that's why I was trying it via software. Thanks.

0 Likes

Thanks. I'll try the newcomers' link for my next post.

I have not seen an option in the BIOS for desktop or server to disable the threads with AMD processors. Most likely this will need some close study of the CPU manuals to see if this can be done.

I am aware that the upcoming Xbox Series X has such a switch so it has be buried somewhere. I do know the CPU is custom so it may have abilities not in mainstream or server processors.

0 Likes