cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AznSmoothie
Journeyman III

CPU temp question

Hello. I am new here as well as having my first AMD. 

I just bought a new pc with AMD Ryzen 7 7700 (3.8GHz) with 4060ti.    My normal cpu temp is running by average around 50C (up and down between 45C to 50sC) on internet surfing and goes up to 70-80s on old medium loading game like League of Legends, a little above 90C on Rainbow Six Siege.    Above 70C fan start running the harder the higher the temperature is at,  is this normal temperature for AMD?    

Sorry I have to ask a kind of stupid question since I normally went with intel and it was always quiet but this one fan is running noticeably way more than I usually had before.  

1 Solution
FunkZ
Exemplar

AMD 7000 series processors, "95°C is the target for best performance"

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/ryzen-7000-series-processors-let-s-talk-about-power-temperature/...

In short, yes the 7000 series will boost voltage and frequency to run as fast and as hot as your cooling will allow.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

8 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

AMD 7000 series processors, "95°C is the target for best performance"

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/ryzen-7000-series-processors-let-s-talk-about-power-temperature/...

In short, yes the 7000 series will boost voltage and frequency to run as fast and as hot as your cooling will allow.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT

I see.   Thank you.

johnnyenglish
Big Boss

I'm sorry I can't fully agree with the above.

90ish seems just too much and I would have a check on the cooler. Since you have a 7700 non X you should be rocking the stock cooler, and it would explain those fairly high temperatures.

Even though you are within safe operating limits, its a bit too high and out of the comfort zone.

Let me explain why: I have a 7950X and I don't get even near that temperature. My max temperature while gaming is 70C ish, however, I do have an AIO and I undervolt it too.

What can You do?

You can try to use curve optimizer or offset undervolt, using either the BIOS or Ryzen Master, sometimes this procedure can help with temperatures.

Or get a nice aftermarket cooler but it may not be entirely necessary.

Good luck 

The Englishman

Im using ice-c612v2 coolerIm using ice-c612v2 cooler

David192
Journeyman III

I also have delt with high temps. With several Pc's, I've swapped over to liquid cooling. 2600x, and the 5700x gave me the most worry. The 5600G, and the 5500, not so much. Once I swapped over to  liquid cooling my worries have went away. Totally.  

Toology86
Adept I

My Deepcool AIO works amazing on my 7800x3d. Never over 65c during any game.

AMD 7800X3D/Gigabyte 7900xtx/128gb DDR5

If your idle temperature is that high, I suspect you don't have enough airflow through your case.  You want several intake fans in the front and / or bottom, and exhaust fans in the top and / or rear.  You need to move air through your case and then you'll find that your CPU cooler can do a better job.

By the way, what is the ambient temperature in the room where your computer is?  I hope it's not 80 F.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

You would be surprised on how much the ambient temperature affects the operating temperatures of your computer.  If your room was 60 F, I bet you wouldn't have any problems.  

Back in the old days of building computers (1990s), the cases had restrictive airflow and the fans were 60mm and 80mm.  Today, you don't even see 80mm fans, but 120mm fans are everywhere, along with some larger ones like 140mm too.  CPUs were not running as hot, as they were not clocked very high due to the limits of their design.  I still remember building a a few computers with the Athlon Slot-A CPU, the one that beat Intel (Pentium III) to 1 GHz.  The cooler on that one had dual 60mm fans.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".