cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

shraaap
Adept I

computer keeps crashing

I've just built a brand new PC (AMD ryzen 5600x and RX 6800), and everything seems to be working fine, except when i try to watch netflix or amazon prime. If i try and launch a video from those in a browser (i've tried several), PC just shuts down and restarts within 1 to 10 seconds.

i've got the latest drivers, i've tried turning hardware acceleration off in the browsers, but nothing works. If i play videos in VLC then no issues at all, but netflix and amazon just won't work. (incidentally, neither will fortnite when my son tries to play, same issue, PC just shuts down and reboots immediately. this doesn't happen for other games).

Any ideas? 

0 Likes
6 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Posting your full specs would help people identifying the issue.

Shut downs like you describe are usually heat or power issues.

Try running stress tests on the CPU and GPU and monitor the temperatures.

0 Likes

full specs are:

CPU Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU AMD RX 6800

16GB Ram 3600MHz

Mobo: Asus Rog Strix B550 -F

PSU: 650W

temp checks were fine, and this doesn't appear to be stress related, as it just cuts off within seconds.

I actually downloaded the amazon prime app from the microsoft store and videos works fine there, but still cuts off from the browsers, so i've still got no clue what triggers it.

0 Likes

Gamers Nexus did report an issue with the rx6800 spiking in power draw at the start of some benchmarks/games drawing up to 320W.

This might be tripping the over current protection on your power supply.

as fyrel said it does sound like a power issue if your temps are fine.

cheers, that sounds about right (although still very strange why that would happen when opening a stream on netflix or amazon). i'll try and find a solution, as my son loves his fortnite!!

Monitor is connected via HDMI. i'll try the disabling HDCP trick, thanks!

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

running of HDMI or DP?

try to disable HDCP Support in driver

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS