cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Nivo12
Adept I

Computer Crashing. Overheating? Over drawing power?

Hi there!

I have recently in the past couple months gone out an bought myself a Radeon Rx 7900XTX. It has been working fine for the first month or so and now it is running into some issue running at higher quality in games. This could be due to multiple reasons, the seasons are changing to summer (I am in the southern hemisphere) and it is just getting hotter, or the power supply is struggling with supporting it.

My current build is a:

• Radeon Rx 7900 XTX
  • Ryzen 9 5900X (With a Noctua NH-D15 cooler)
  • 32GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM (4x8GB)
  • Corsair RM 850W 80+ gold (I think, don't have the box on me, just know it is RM850)
  • Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB case

That is it for the pc, except for storage, but I don't think that is a possible causing factor in this (just 3 ssds and one hdd).

The issue that I am having is that when running games like Forza Horizon 5, Fortnite, Cyberpunk 2077. It will run until it fully crashes. No Blue screen, no nothing. Just turns off immediately. To turn it back on, I have to turn off and on the Power supply.

That leads me to believe that it is the power supply at fault, but I cannot be sure because it seems to run fine until I crank the settings up. So it could be either overheating or over-drawing power? Right? Could it be anything else?

Any possible fixes or solutions that I could do?

Thanks!!!!

P.S. First time AMD GPU user so I am new to the market and scene in this factor, but I understand how computers work in most of the sense just haven't dealt with something like this before!

4 Replies

Are you using two separate pcie cables from psu to card (not 1 into 2 split connectors)?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I am using just one from the PSU which goes into the x16 port using the cable I had from my previous GPU.

It is a generic pcie cable into the back (modular) which goes to two sets of 2x4 (8 pin) connectors on the one cable. So it is theoretically a 2x8 (16 pin) when all used.

The cable is as old as the PSU, probably coming up to just over two and a half years ago.

0 Likes

You're marginal on the PSU for an XTX.. run separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on your GPU 

How are your CPU and GPU temps?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Alright I can try that when I get back home in a week. The CPU and GPU temperatures are roughly 70C on both when playing. Not sure when playing higher graphics.

0 Likes