cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

lapiii
Adept I

Chipset matters.

I have an AMD FX-8300 and I was told that the chipset for AM3+ mobos' IPC rate, instructions per cycle , of AM3+ is extremely low. So which chipset is best to take advantage of my CPU? I guess the fastest compatible chiset which would be the 990FX I think thatI'd gowithe the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional because it seems of quality and decently priced, as I think more expensive is over doing it, but I'll still go for better features.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Whoever told you that should not be around a computer. A chipset doesn't have an "IPC", it merely provides connectivity between the CPU and external components. Socket AM3/+ CPUs themselves have a very low IPC capability, both compared to Intel's of the period as well as current AMD Ryzen chips, being less than half as fast, so upgrading to a new Socket AM3+ motherboard will just be wasting your money and result in an exactly 0% increase in performance.  Upgrading to a Socket AM4 system with any mid range CPU, however, will result in a drastic speed increase.

0 Likes

Thanks black_zion, but I'm going to stick with CPU, and I guess then 970FX. Is there a disadvvantage to using a 990FX chipset? 

0 Likes

Other than the fact you're spending hundreds of dollars on a dead socket for zero performance improvement?

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

While black_zion is correct... Chipsets don't provide "IPC"., there can be quite a stark difference in aggregate performance not just based upon the Chipset but also the Manufacturer. 

Now being perfectly honest... I wouldn't touch Asrock with a 10ft Barge Pole., especially not on the AM3(+) Platform.

Gigabyte will typically provide the best "Out-of-the-Box" Performance and Durability., while Asus will typically provide the best "Optimisation" Options for the best peak performance from your Hardware but also have a habit of simply committing seppuku whenever the mood takes them.

MSI and Asus typically have the best Lifetime Support.

Why avoid Asrock? Because they were the Budget Division of Asus., and even in their "High End" Products that legacy of there's remains ever present in the Build Quality, Support, BIOS, Features, Design, etc. 

And the OLDER the AMD Chipset., the MORE wary you should be of their Products.

In all honesty., your best bet is to go with MSI for Legacy Hardware. 

I mean there's a reason why you basically NEVER hear anything about them... because they don't do anything that is Good or Bad., they just work "As Intended" and little else.

As weird as this'll sound, when you're looking for Legacy Hardware that's actually what you want to look for., because not only are you sure it'll still work but that it was supported well enough during it's Lifespan that it's a Retail+ Experience. All of the other brands tend to heavily lean one way or the other in terms of Durability, Performance, Support, etc... MSI being "Middle of the Road" is arguably a bad thing for bleeding Edge Gamers / Wallets., but if you want a PC that's still running "As Intended" or … well at all (I'm looking at you Stack of Asus Boards that burnt out PSU, Memory and Hard Disks) then, it's your best bet.

As for the Chipset., it's perhaps a good idea to keep in mind that the AMD / ATI Xpress Chipsets are functionally identically for each Series. 

So the 600 / 700 / 900 / FM offer the feature and support upgrades., while the x60 / x70 / x80 / x90 "Variants" are more or less actually just designations of if the Board Designs are Budget / Mainstream / Enthusiast / Performance.

So for example the 970X and 990FX … typically the difference is there's an additional PCIe x16 Slot for Crossfire.

There are also some minor difference in Crossfire Support.

Wikipedia tends to have a fairly accurate full breakdown of differences., and trust me they're "Minor" at best.

It's kind of like the difference between say an FX-8 8100 to 8350... strictly speaking these are the same CPU., they're just produced on more mature nodes or binned more aggressively, and well that's it.  

0 Likes

Going to have to disagree with you on Might Suddenly Implode / Missing Some Intelligence / Miserable Sodding Idiots / Motherboard's Suddenly Inflammable. I wouldn't trust that company's products in my machine if you paid me.

Gigabyte...they're good, BUT they have a REALLY bad habit of releasing a new "revision" of a motherboard which is identical to the previous, and then drop support for the previous revision(s). Socket AM4's mandate that "all Socket AM4 processors must work with all Socket AM4 motherboards" helps, but still, wouldn't trust them.

ASUS is always my go-to brand, only had one bad experience with them in the last...10 years, and that was back with the Crosshair IV.

ASRock is owned by Pegatron, the worst manufacturer on the planet, and doesn't deserve anyone's patronage.

But my previous comment still stands, you're spending hundreds on a dead socket for zero performance improvement. Don't do it.

0 Likes