Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

KENTEK
Adept I

Can I enable SAM with a B450 chipset ?

Dear AMD community 

I write to have more knowledge regarding the smart access memory feature for my System.

My question is : can I enable SAM with my Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard?

I went on the BIOS and I noticed that there is an option to enable resizable bar on the top right of the screen on the BIOS, just to let you know I also updated the Mobo with the latest BIOS available which date the 28th of June 2021.

Also, I have an other curiosity, do you recommend to update my chipset drivers at every release available?

motherboard: Asus rog strix B450-F
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Radeon RX 6700 XT Aorus elite

Cheers   

0 Likes
2 Solutions

The parts you listed are all support for SAM. There shouldn't be an issue once you enable it and the 4G Decoding in the bios

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

View solution in original post

Man! Actually I did it! I found out that the only issue I had was my BIOS mode set to legacy and I needed to switch it to UEFI via a command prompt trick and change something in the BIOS settings. Then obviously I enabled SAM and it was visible in the GPU-Z . Time for benchmarks later eh eh  

20210815_141828.jpg

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Nagrenol
Challenger

• My question is : can I enable SAM with my Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard?

I went on the BIOS and I noticed that there is an option to enable resizable bar on the top right of the screen on the BIOS, just to let you know I also updated the Mobo with the latest BIOS available which date the 28th of June 2021.

I don't get your query? I mean if it's showing and you can enable it, by default that means you can!

• Also, I have an other curiosity, do you recommend to update my chipset drivers at every release available?

Yup

Actually I forgot to mention that I tried to enable it but nothing happened after except for a black screen. So I rebooted went on the BIOS again and disabled SAM. 

So what is confusing me is why there is an option to enable resizable bar on the BIOS if  doesn't work? Is this works only for B550/X570 chipset? is anyone having the same B450 chipset motherboard and being able to use this feature? 

I appreciate any insights 

0 Likes

The parts you listed are all support for SAM. There shouldn't be an issue once you enable it and the 4G Decoding in the bios

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

Man! Actually I did it! I found out that the only issue I had was my BIOS mode set to legacy and I needed to switch it to UEFI via a command prompt trick and change something in the BIOS settings. Then obviously I enabled SAM and it was visible in the GPU-Z . Time for benchmarks later eh eh  

20210815_141828.jpg

Good stuff