cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

jsn-stanley
Journeyman III

Can anyone help? Switched from an intel to a AMD cpu and am getting real bad quality on all games.

Hello,

I just upgraded my Intel CPU to a AMD CPU. I was playing starfield on ultra setting before the upgrade and with I think 60fps now I am getting 5fps on low settings. I reinstalled windows and drivers. tried to fix this mess and played with the bios setting but had no luck. Tonight i am going to turn on DOCP. I just was reading a form about that but don't know what else to do. 

From what I read the CPU and GPU should be giving me better performance than what I was using. I originally had a rtx 1080 and the intel cpu. then purchased the rtx 4060. Everything was running good until I decided to put a new CPU in. 

I've checked the temps which seem to be fine. Idle 40-50c and gaming was at 65c. My temps were much lower on the old cpu but from what i read this amd runs hotter. All cables, ram, gpu, cpu cooler, have been installed correctly and checked multiple times now. 

Specs:

Old specs

CPU - INTEL I7-5820K HASWELL-E 6-CORE 3.3 GHZ
Motherboard - eVGA Motherboard 131-HE-E095-KR Intel X99 LGA2011-3 SATA DDR4 PCI Express USB3.0 Micro-ATX
GPU - GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti 16GB OC Edition GDDR6
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 1050W Grand Platinum ATX12V / EPS12V
CPU Cooler - Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler

New: 

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 12+2 with Dr. MOS Power Stage
GPU - GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti 16GB OC Edition GDDR6
RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 1050W Grand Platinum ATX12V / EPS12V

CPU Cooler - Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
jsn-stanley
Journeyman III

Hello guys, 

Thanks for the advice but I was able to get the issue fixed. I ended up completely wiping the computer, reinstalling windows, resetting the mobo, updated it and updated all drivers, again. But, none of this fixed the issue. The root cause was in the Bios. The Bios was auto putting the PCIE slot to gen 3 which caused the graphics card performance to be reduced dramatically. 

This was caused by the riser cable I was using. I wasn't aware there are different gen riser cables and the bios auto set the new graphics card as a gen 3 due to this. I unfortunately couldn't plug the GPU direct in to the PCIE slot to diagnose this issue because my AIO is in the way on my build. I got a new gen 4 cable and everything is running fantastic now! 

If anyone sees this and is having this issue, go into Bios, Check the PCIE Configuration, if you aren't using a riser cable you can select the Gen of your GPU. If your using a riser cable replace it with the correct Gen or it wont work even if you put the correct gen in the Bios! I have mine set on auto with the correct Gen riser cable and everything fine now. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

According to the FPS/Bottleneck website you should be have great FPS for games with your PC Setup. It is very powerful to say the least.

From FPS & Bottleneck Calculator :

.pngScreenshot 2023-09-21 151151.png

You can also check the various FPS for certain latest games using your PC configuration and streaming bottlenecking.

Now to find out why your performance is so bad while gaming.

Run Ryzen Master and see if your Processor is being throttled by either the Motherboard or the CPU itself by looking at the top ICONs. If any are RED then your CPU is being throttled.

Download OCCT and run all 3 tests, GPU, CPU, & PSU and see if your PC crashes during the testing. Check for abnormal Temps and Fan speeds and PSU Outputs.

Also check to see if your CPU load is high before playing you start your game. It is possible a background app is causing your CPU to run slow.

Overheating or Overclock the CPU or GPU can cause your issues also. That would be noticed when your run OCCT.

Kalana
Challenger

Hi, have you checked the power plan of the system? See it's not on power saver mode.

Ashbeel121
Journeyman III

Switching from an Intel CPU to an AMD CPU should not inherently result in a significant drop in game quality or performance. In most cases, switching CPUs should not have any noticeable impact on game quality or graphics unless there are other issues at play. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issues you're experiencing :

1. Check for Driver Updates: Ensure that you have the latest drivers installed for your AMD CPU, GPU, and motherboard. Outdated drivers can lead to compatibility issues and poor performance.

2. BIOS/UEFI Update: Make sure that your motherboard's BIOS or UEFI firmware is up to date. Manufacturers often release updates that improve system stability and compatibility with new hardware.

3. Reinstall Graphics Drivers: Uninstall your old GPU drivers (if you had an integrated GPU with your Intel CPU) and then install the appropriate drivers for your AMD GPU. Use a tool like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to remove old drivers completely before installing new ones.

4. Check for Overheating: Ensure that your AMD CPU and GPU are not overheating. Overheating can cause throttling, which leads to reduced performance. Make sure your cooling system is adequate and functioning properly.

5. RAM Compatibility: Verify that your RAM is compatible with your AMD motherboard and that it's running at the correct speed and timings. Some RAM modules may require adjustments in the BIOS/UEFI settings.

6. Power Supply Unit (PSU): Ensure that your power supply unit is providing enough wattage for your new CPU and GPU. An inadequate PSU can lead to performance issues and system instability.

7. Clean Installation of Windows: Sometimes, a clean Windows installation can help resolve compatibility issues that arise when switching hardware. Backup your important data and reinstall Windows if necessary.

8. Check Game Settings: Make sure that in-game graphics settings are appropriately configured for your new hardware. It's possible that settings have been adjusted to a level that your new hardware can't handle.

9. Monitor and Cable Compatibility: Check if your monitor and display cables (e.g., HDMI, DisplayPort) are compatible with your new AMD setup. Ensure that the monitor is set to the correct resolution and refresh rate.

10. Run Benchmark Tests: Use benchmarking software to test the performance of your CPU and GPU. Compare the results with benchmarks for your specific hardware to see if there are any major discrepancies.

11. Check for Background Processes: Ensure that no unnecessary background processes or applications are consuming system resources while gaming. Use Task Manager to monitor resource usage.

12. Compatibility and Game Patches: Some older games may not work well with new hardware configurations. Check if there are any compatibility patches or updates available for the games you're experiencing issues with.

I'd start with a simple gpu stress test and see if it's hitting the base clocks its intended too. could be as simple as using ddu and re-installing clean drivers. Go into BIOS, enable XMP, UEFI. then go down the list. If you're not over heating. somethings aren't talking to eachother! 

Qoojo
Miniboss

With Starfield, it is important to know what the render resolution is set at. Your new pc could have defaulted to a much higher render resolution. So both PCs could be set at "ultra", the new one could rendering much highest resolution. In my experience, Starfield's defaults are set too aggressive.

jsn-stanley
Journeyman III

Hello guys, 

Thanks for the advice but I was able to get the issue fixed. I ended up completely wiping the computer, reinstalling windows, resetting the mobo, updated it and updated all drivers, again. But, none of this fixed the issue. The root cause was in the Bios. The Bios was auto putting the PCIE slot to gen 3 which caused the graphics card performance to be reduced dramatically. 

This was caused by the riser cable I was using. I wasn't aware there are different gen riser cables and the bios auto set the new graphics card as a gen 3 due to this. I unfortunately couldn't plug the GPU direct in to the PCIE slot to diagnose this issue because my AIO is in the way on my build. I got a new gen 4 cable and everything is running fantastic now! 

If anyone sees this and is having this issue, go into Bios, Check the PCIE Configuration, if you aren't using a riser cable you can select the Gen of your GPU. If your using a riser cable replace it with the correct Gen or it wont work even if you put the correct gen in the Bios! I have mine set on auto with the correct Gen riser cable and everything fine now.