cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

thorrrr
Journeyman III

Brand New Out of the Box Ryzen 7 3700x 2 Bent Pins?? Seriously AMD?

Immediately once I got home & unboxed this I inspected it (as I always do). Can you believe that I found 2 bent pins in the upper left corner!? This was straight out of the box & I paid $486 for this chip. I’m honestly so shook. This was purchased from Canada Computers in Ontario Canada. The store is closed & I’m going first thing in the morning, they better not give me a hard time, which I'm already dreading that they will. This is ridiculous.

Has anyone else ever experienced or seen this happen before??

2 Replies

It has been a lot of years but yes I have had a processor come with bent pins. Obviously this is a HUGE fail on the part of QC. 

This is why, and I am not saying your retailer isn't, it is so important to buy not only from a retailer that will stand behind products in such a situation but is also an authorized reseller in the even you have to go back to AMD. 

These return situations are why I don't buy from on-line retailers that charge restocking fee's and return postage for issues that are not the end users fault. Hopefully your retailer is as good as Micro Center in our town about these situations. They have never let me down. 

I will tell you a little trick I know about bending the pins back as it is really easy to break them off. I use a mechanical pencil the kind that takes the lead sticks. You can use the tip to insert the pin into to bend back. I usually heat it up a bit first too with a hair dryer. I would return it first though if it is an option. I only mention this in case you need to try yourself. 

Lots of methods out there for this and many how to videos. I really like my method though. I honestly wish that AMD would use a method more like what Intel has been doing for years as it is pretty hard to damage that setup. 

Report back if the retailer takes care of you with no hassle. That is good information for other users who may buy from that retailer.

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Oh don't forget that even if the retailer gives you grief, check with your credit card company if you bought with one. Many have buyer protections that may cover your too.

0 Likes