cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Blender Keeps on Crashing with my X5700xt

Whenever I rotate the camera around the default cube, my GPU usage spikes at 99%. Trying to watch any tutorial and work in the program always results in my monitors turning off and my PC resetting. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. The card works great for gaming and watching videos, but always dies when I try to use blender.

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3900x 

Motherboard: x570 Taichi

Graphics Card: Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT

Ram: G.skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (4x8)

6 Replies

I've been troubleshooting since posting this. 

So far I've:

1.) Uninstalled Adrenaline

• Apparently something was wrong here initially since I kept in getting errors saying that drivers would not uninstall properly. After using both the AMDcleanuputility and MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_uninstall I was able to successfully remove the bugged software (I think). 

2.) Installed Adrenalin Edition 20.9.1

• This did not resolve the problem, my computer still crashes after doing basic operations in Blender.

3.) Uninstalled Adrenalin, installed Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise

4.) Uninstalled Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise, installed Adrenalin Edition 20.10.1

• Yeah this did not solve my problem either, and this is what's installed currently.

5.) Updated Windows

• I thought Windows was updating automatically; apparently not because Windows Update had my computer downloading and rebooting for a solid 20 minutes.

6.) Updated x570 Taichi bios to version 3.60

• Why not. This didn't solve anything unfortunately. 

7.) Uninstalled/reinstalled Blender

• Thought maybe the problem was Blender itself, but a clean install behaves the same. 

Something I didn't mention in my OP is that I am using a 3 monitor setup:

1. Philips 278E1A 4k IPS https://www.amazon.com/Philips-328E1CA-Adaptive-Sync-Speakers-Replacement/dp/B07ZSGR5TM/ref=sr_1_2?d... 
  2. ViewSonic VA2456-MHD 1080p IPS https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B863WTB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
  3. Veikk VK1560 drawing monitor https://www.amazon.com/VEIKK-Drawing-Graphics-Shortcut-ScrollDial/dp/B07DJ9NGNV/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&... 

Not sure if this is relevant, I don't know what is relevant. I'm not expecting anyone to jump in this thread with the correct diagnosis of what is going on. I am nearing a dead end of ideas for troubleshooting, any suggestions of what I could try would be appreciated. I am, of course, willing to find and post any information about my build that could help uncover the problem. I just want to model and animate things in blender ;_;

0 Likes

You might have gotten some better answers if you had this in the graphics forum. I don't do any blender work but I do now a user that does and will mention them. It looks like you gave a lot of information and maybe colesdav‌ would have some advice. 

Which Windows build exactly please?
The Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI was running very poorly and using loits of CPU resource with Windows 19.09 build.
I recently had to file bugs to Blender support about RX590 not running properly on Windows 10 with Blender.
RX5700XT was performing poorly as well.
I will take a look at how RX5700XT is running with Blender next.

leyvin
Miniboss

Your Power Supply isn't providing enough Power for your Graphics, CPU and System.

As it is the only component you haven't listed; well there is no way to tell if the issue is with the PSU itself or if a fault has occurred on the System Board resulting in "Dirty" Power Delivery. 

It should be noted that while a 550w PSU should be enough for your CPU + GPU Combo at STOCK., if you've Overclocking either remember that their power requirements spike much higher.

So at stock your CPU, Memory and GPU should be using ~380w... but these have a +50% Power Limit for Overclocking; meaning they _can_ use up to ~550w; this will mean that a 550w PSU simply isn't going to be enough., as there are other power draws for the system as a whole.

And remember that outside of the PSU Efficiency (80% Guaranteed)., that the Power Delivery per Watt is actually LOWER. Meaning you'll never get 550w out of a 550w PSU., instead it will be closer to 480w - 520w depending on Efficiency.

This as a note is why AMD Recommends a 600w PSU., as this guarantees you can run a High-End CPU with the RX 5700 XT and have the headroom to Overclock still... and given how AMD now allow Auto-Overclocking via the Drivers, well that means you can't assume the Baseline is what will be used even at "Stock"; but then as noted, if the System Board itself is failing this too can affect the Power Delivery.

Things like Blender ARE going to be more "Brutal" in regards to power consumption because they have High Utilisation., which most games actually don't tend to get close to; instead they tend to stress once component more than the other.

My current Windows OS build is 19041.610

My PSU is a Phanteks AMP Series 750w: Phanteks AMP Series 750W 80PLUS Gold, ATX Power Supply, Fully Modular, Hybrid Mode, Silent fan, Revo... 

Another issue I noticed is that if I tried to render anything using OpenCl with only my radeon 5700XT selected, the render screen would be black, the text on the top would say, among other things, "updating device," then Blender would crash after several minutes. CPU rendering in Cycles works wonderfully. 

So another round of troubleshooting went on this morning:

1. First I thought I'd trying working on my PSU, perhaps the cord was faulty or maybe something was wrong with the port. So I took out my GPU and PSU, swapped the cord and installed it in the middle PCI-e slot (it was previously in the leftmost one). Turned my computer back on and nothing changed, still couldn't render anything using only my GPU. I hate having my $1300 PC crash on me so I did not rotate the cube too much. 
  2. I reset my PC removing my personal files. When that process finished, I downloaded the Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise and Blender and tried to render in cycles using only my x5700XT. To my surprise, it actually worked. I could render the default cube, and I could even render the 2.90.1 splash screen file (that painted fox model).

So that's some good news, but the GPU still spikes at 99% in the viewport just by doing very basic movements. Also, blender has crashed a couple of times, but my PC hasn't, yet. Not out of the woods, but feeling more hopeful.

AMD tends to recommend to small of PSU for my tastes.

While I now use a Corsair HX1000i, I learned long ago about the perils of crap power supplies.

The 2019 Corsair RM650 can handle almost 700W before it trips the thermal fuse. The new line is also ultra efficient at idle. The RM750 and RM850 are also available.

My HX1000i is substantially more expensive but I am now in a safe place.

0 Likes