cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD Overtakes Nvidia in Graphics Shipments for First Time in 5 Years

AMD saw its share of the graphics market surge in Q2 2019, with total shipments larger than Nvidia for the first time in five years. At the same time, Nvidia retains a hard lock on the add-in board market for desktops, with approximately two-thirds of total market share. And while these gains are significant, it’s also worth considering why they didn’t drive any particular “pop” in AMD’s overall financial figures for Q2.

First, let’s talk about the total graphics market. There are three players here: Intel, AMD, and Nvidia. Because this report considers the totality of the graphics space, and 2/3 of systems ship without a separate GPU,  both AMD and Nvidia are minority players in this market. AMD, however, has an advantage — it builds CPUs with an onboard graphics solution, like Intel. Nvidia does not. Thus, we have to acknowledge that the total market space includes companies with a very different suite of products:

Intel: Integrated-only (until next year), no discrete GPUs, but accounts for a majority of total shipments.
AMD: Integrated GPUs and discrete cards, but with very little presence in upper-end mobile gaming.
Nvidia: No integrated solutions. Discrete GPUs only.

Graphics-Market-Share-JPR

According to JPR, AMD’s shipments increased by 9.8 percent, Intel shipments fell by 1.4 percent, and Nvidia shipments were flat, at 0.04 percent. This jives with reports from early in the year, which suggested that AMD would take market share from Intel due to CPU shortages. Separately from its global report, JPR also publishes a separate document on the desktop add-in board (AIB) market. This report only considers the discrete GPU space between Nvidia and AMD (Intel will compete in this space when it launches Xe next year). AMD and Nvidia split this space — and again, AMD showed significant growth, with a ten percent improvement in market share.

If you pay attention to financial reports, however, you may recall that AMD’s Q2 2019 sales results were reasonable, but not spectacular. Both companies reported year-on-year sales declines. Nvidia’s fiscal year Q2 2020 results, which the company reported a few weeks back, showed gaming revenue falling 27 percent year-on-year. AMD doesn’t break out GPU and CPU sales — it combines them both into a single category — but its combined Compute and Graphics revenue reports were lower on a yearly basis as well:

AMD-Financial-Q2-2019

During the first half of the year, AMD was thought to be gaining market share at Intel’s expense, but these gains were largely thought to be at the low-end of the market. AMD launched its first Chromebooks with old Carrizo APUs, for example. This explains the growth in unit shipments in the total GPU space, as well as why the company didn’t show a tremendous profit from its gains. Growth in the AIB market may be explained by the sale of GPUs like the RX 570. This card has consistently been an incredibly good value — Nvidia didn’t bother distributing review GPUs for the GTX 1650 because the RX 570 is decisively faster, according to multiple reviews. But GPU sales have been down overall. According to JPR, AIB sales fell 16.6 percent quarter-to-quarter, and 39.7 percent year-on-year.

This explains why AMD’s strong market share gains didn’t translate to improved C&G sales revenue. The company earns less revenue on low-end sales compared with high-end cards. And its market share improvements have been overshadowed by a huge decline in AIB sales year-on-year, likely due to the combination of lingering crypto hangover and a weak overall enthusiast market in Q2.

Q3 will be a much more significant quarter for both companies. Not only does it typically improve on the basis of seasonality alone, but both Nvidia and AMD introduced price cuts and new products. AMD’s Navi powers the excellent 5700 and 5700 XT, which are both faster than the Nvidia refreshes of the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 (now dubbed the RTX 2060 Super and RTX 2070 Super, respectively). Nvidia, in turn, offers ray tracing and variable rate shading — two features that are used in very few games today but may become more popular in the future. AMD lacks these features.

The two companies have staked out opposing strategies for boosting their respective market share. It’ll be interesting to see how consumers do or don’t respond to their separate value propositions.

AMD Overtakes Nvidia in Graphics Shipments for First Time in 5 Years - ExtremeTech 

0 Likes
5 Replies

They also provided the following chart to TomsHardware, but when it comes to this I'd like to know how they score a system with an Intel processor, which the vast majority have an iGPU in them, and a discrete video card. To say AMD grew 4% in a year considering they only launched high end, expensive, power hungry cards which were thrashed by nVidia in one or more metrics while being in relatively low supply in that time span is pretty difficult to believe, especially considering the Ryzen 2200/2400 APUs weren't that widespread in OEM machines.

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Hey now, I helped that stat, or it might have been in Q1. In a what I call a "Learning experience", I will now never buy another AMD product. Learned my lesson. You can bet when I bought a new laptop in Q3 that it had zero AMD hardware.

0 Likes

There have been some incredibly good "AMD Raise The Game / Fully Reloaded / 50th Anniversary" and other deals on AMD cards such as RX570, RX580, RX590 and RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 cards. Those deals may have helped AMD Desktop market. In some cases cards like RX570 and RX580 have been practically "free" if you wanted the games / bundled SSD etc. 

Despite bad driver experience with brand new RX Vega 64 Liquid purchased in November 2018 I have purchased an RX Vega 56 Red Dragon. I also purchased a used R9 390x recently. I intend to purchase some more RX Vega 56 and RX590 GPU in future if the gaming bundles come back.

A number of RX Vega 64 Liquid driver problems have been fixed after I reported them. The PowerColor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon works well and also runs in DX11 Crossfire with the RX Vega 64 Liquid which is a bonus for me. DX12 MultiGPU also works well.

I think AMD still need to work with Microsoft so that very old drivers are not installed automatically by Windows 10, and the AMD Installer needs to be able to detect them. Latest version of Windows 10 is still installing drivers from 2017 on my Vega GPUs, and 19.8.2 installer does not see them. This results in a garbage driver install according to AMD own driver install instructions.

The RX5700XT AIB cards should help AMD Desktop market share situation. I do not like the RX5700XT Reference cards because I do not think the blower is a good enough thermal solution for me. I think the PowerColor Red Devil RX5700XT is a card with very impressive performance.

I am waiting for a review of the 2 slot PowerColor Red Dragon RX5700XT, and 2 slot ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Challenger D 8G OC. 

I still think RX5700XT prices are too high and it looks like the drivers still need work, but I am interested to purchase one some time in future.

0 Likes

Something which has also helped AMD is the fact that stores are effectively liquidating the RX 500 series cards, so the RX 580, which is about completely out of stock, is only $180, while the cheapest GTX 1660 is $220. The bad news is that with AMD's new pricing strategy Navi 14 will likely be about $300, or again twice the price of the card it replaces, the RX 570.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

A big portion of that success is likely more due to things like RX Vega M.  The discrete chip was paired with a lot of Intel processors in sleek, low profile systems to massively upgrade the graphics chops.  AMD has managed to get their GPU in a lot of systems that have been traditionally Intel without forcing a switch to Ryzen.  

0 Likes