cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

pol-blancafort
Journeyman III

AMD Netflix HDR support

I have an HDR capable rig paired with an HDR 1080p monitor. I can watch Youtube in HDR and play games in HDR. 

The point is that I want to also enjoy Netflix in HDR on my PC. But I could not manage to make Netflix (nor the windows app or the Edge website version) work in HDR. 

I recently contacted Netflix and apparently Netflix HDR is only posible with Nvidia graphics card, due to AMD DRIVERS not supporting the Netflix HDR settings. 

My question is: WHEN IS AMD GOING TO RELEASE DRIVERS COMPATIBLE WITH NETFLIX HDR??

Nvidia is up to date in this topic and AMD is leaving behind all its users... So, when we will have a solution with this problem?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
leyvin
Miniboss

Actually Netflix HDR is only supported by Pascal (GTX 10-Series) at present., and 'select' Partnership Intel HD (7-Series CPU) Graphics … AMD does support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision (which apparently Netflix uses)., as well as Microsoft PlayReady 3.0

So there strictly speaking shouldn't be any issues... with this said this does suggest that they're supporting HDR exclusively via the HEVC Format.

Now as a point-of-note., you will need to Search the Microsoft Store for "HEVC Video Extensions from the Device Manufacturer" as well as the "HEVC Video Extensions"., as both of these will be needed.

Oh and I'd recommend these for Pre-GTX 10-Series GPUs as well., not just AMD GCN GPUs / Ryzen CPUs.

IF this doesn't enable Netflix HDR (which honestly I don't recall if it does or doesn't., as I run a Native 12bit Desktop that somewhat makes the difference to HDR10 fairly 'Minimal' without being on a WCG Display, such-as Quantum Colour from Samsung) then it's likely because they're just using the Intel and NVIDIA Codec SDKs as opposed to simply supporting the Native Format.

This is likely the case, and so I'd strongly recommend that you suggest to Netflix that they support the AMD AMF (Advanced Media Framework) SDK from GPUOpen that provides extensive support for Video Codecs across all UVD and VCE Devices., which as a note is Radeon HD 5000 or newer) 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
leyvin
Miniboss

Actually Netflix HDR is only supported by Pascal (GTX 10-Series) at present., and 'select' Partnership Intel HD (7-Series CPU) Graphics … AMD does support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision (which apparently Netflix uses)., as well as Microsoft PlayReady 3.0

So there strictly speaking shouldn't be any issues... with this said this does suggest that they're supporting HDR exclusively via the HEVC Format.

Now as a point-of-note., you will need to Search the Microsoft Store for "HEVC Video Extensions from the Device Manufacturer" as well as the "HEVC Video Extensions"., as both of these will be needed.

Oh and I'd recommend these for Pre-GTX 10-Series GPUs as well., not just AMD GCN GPUs / Ryzen CPUs.

IF this doesn't enable Netflix HDR (which honestly I don't recall if it does or doesn't., as I run a Native 12bit Desktop that somewhat makes the difference to HDR10 fairly 'Minimal' without being on a WCG Display, such-as Quantum Colour from Samsung) then it's likely because they're just using the Intel and NVIDIA Codec SDKs as opposed to simply supporting the Native Format.

This is likely the case, and so I'd strongly recommend that you suggest to Netflix that they support the AMD AMF (Advanced Media Framework) SDK from GPUOpen that provides extensive support for Video Codecs across all UVD and VCE Devices., which as a note is Radeon HD 5000 or newer) 

First time posting a question in AMD's forums. I did not expect that technical answer and just in a few hours! 

Installing the HEVC Video Extensions seems to have solved the issue. Now currently seeing HDR in some of netflix shows (the ones that support it)

I will contact Netflix to share my results with them.

Thank you so much!

0 Likes

Hi. Can you please tell us which GPU you are using?  Sorry but I could not find this info above.  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Yeah, sure. I'm using the ryzen 5 2600 paired with a rx 590 (Fatboy). And the monitor is the DELL S2419HM.

0 Likes

Thanks. Wanted to let you know this thread has been forwarded on to the video team.

0 Likes
Cornugon
Miniboss

I have the same/similar issue to the OP:

I have a Vega 64 with a 4K HDR monitor connected. Netflix will NOT play any content in UHD and/or HDR/Dolby Vision.

I'm using the 19.2.3 drivers, and I don't expect the 19.3.1 giving different results. I also have the HEVC codecs installed.

I've read that it's simply because of PlayReady 3.0 support, which Netflix requires for UHD/HDR. According to Netflix's site, you'd need an Intel 7-series or up, or an Nvidia Pascal-card. 

I'm betting Turing is supported too, as are AMD Polaris GPU's (like OP's RX590). Polaris is supported since last year's april, with Vega-support promised later that year.

We're now in 2019 with still no way of playing Netflix in 4K on a Vega-card. I was hoping that adding support for mobile Vega in the drivers, and the release of the Radeon VII would have changed it for the better, but alas...

0 Likes

You do have PlayReady 3.0 Support., as this is what Windows 10 uses for HDR and WCG. 

(which is great if you're Display also supports the DTB Standard for HDR/WCG, as opposed to just Natively providing such... there's another thread about this on the Radeon Pro Series GPU... the issue with such is Half AMD and Half Microsoft fault., which given neither of them seem to talk to each other directly is infuriating, to say the least)

As noted the issue at play here, essentially comes down to Netflix using the Intel and NVIDIA Encoder APIs... but not AMD's AMF API. 

It's not uncommon for this to happen either.

In a way, I don't blame a lot of Studios for not supporting AMD SDKs... 

AMD isn't really doing much in the way to get more of their Hardware IN to Development Studios. 

Sure, they have their Workstation (Radeon Pro) Hardware ... but they don't really have any Prosumer Hardware., not unless you count the Radeon VII, which is in such short supply it might as well be Faery Dust. 

GPU Open, while it was a good step in the right Direction when it was launched., but has become so infrequently updated with the UX being honestly very bare bones.

Look at it this way, Navigation is "Pretty" but not very Intuitive... there's a basic Blog-Style Comments Section, but no real way to properly discuss with other Developers outside of coming on the forums (which again aren't exactly intuitive) or discussing directly on GitHub.

Then there's the fact that basically, each Article is little more than a Brief Description with GitHub Links., there's no MSDN Style Reference System.  

Intel and NVIDIA both have these... I mean they're bare bones, unlike Microsofts' which are frankly the Gold Standard for such; but AMD literally has NONE. You get the Source Code, and maybe a few Samples; beyond that, well it's basically "Figure it out on your own"., which is fine for Developers like myself who are going to extensively use and alter the source in order to have a fully-custom variant of their Open Source API / Libraries in our Projects; but for those who just want to "Plug-and-Play" Support., yeah; that's a BAD approach. 

Getting back to how infrequently said Update appear., well again the issue here is that there's basically no reason for Developers to keep it bookmarked or keep coming back to the site (which is as a note NO LONGER listed in the Developer.AMD.com area of their Website, so now it just looks like AMD simply no longer have any GPU SDK / Libraries / Tools, heck all of the things listed on the Developer area of their Website are basically Linux SDK / Buildchain Tools for the AMD64 Platform; that's basically it).

Where-as what you want are Developers constantly coming back, not just for Regular SDK / Library / Tool Updates; but also for Whitepapers, Blog Posts on "Best Practises", etc. You want a community to engage with your Products, well you HAVE to engage with that Community to showcase that you haven't abandoned them... it's a two-way street. 

And I mean ... a great example of this was we saw from various AAA Developers that AMD was working with them on Tress FX 4.0 for almost 12 months BEFORE Tress FX 3.1 was replaced with it.

What we should've seen instead was the Tress FX 4.0 (Alpha) and (Beta) available along-side the 3.1 (Release).

The same was true in regards to how, they've STILL not updated their Entire Litany of Tools / Libraries / API to use DirectX 12., let alone any Vulkan versions... yet all of the "Optimisation" Blogs they've put out have been focused on Vulkan, none for DirectX 12 (yes, I know they're basically very similar; but it doesn't hurt to list it as DirectX 12 / Vulkan with little nodes to the differences); and well we're also talking about their GCN Architecture being better suited to the Low-Level APUs., so WHY?! wasn't everything DirectX 12 to begin with, THEN later supporting DirectX 11.2/11.3/11.4? 

Intel / NVIDIA / AMD... none of them have Full DirectX 12 / Vulkan SDK., nor does AMD have quite the same range of Plug-and-Play Tools; with many like for example PlayReady 3.0 Supoprt., basically being little more than a Bullet Point for the AMF ... but you can only get away with that IF said API is an established Industry Standard; which the AMD API just aren't. 

0 Likes

Thank you for your lengthy response!

However: I don't believe PlayReady 3.0 is supported yet on Vega cards:

It's a requirement for "protected" HDR-content (i.e. Netflix, HDR Blu-ray playback), but not necessary for games (or most YouTube content for that matter).

Netflix also demands it for it's 4K content. I haven't tried if it works for Amazon Prime yet, but maybe I will.

It's also specifically noted in the release notes for the 18.5.1 drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/<https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-5-1>rn-rad-win-18-5-1<https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-5-1>

-Just support for RX400 and 500 cards (Polaris). Vega was apparently promised for later that year.

I haven't seen anyone with a Vega (and no Intel 7 or up) who got Netflix working in 4K/HDR yet. JUST Polaris users (who just needed to install the HEVC-codec and that's it)

It's possible that you're correct, but it doesn't explain why it works for Polaris users and not for Vega users.

I'll also try to connect my screen through HDMI to see if it makes a difference. I'll keep you posted.

Outlook voor Android downloaden<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

I'm also having pretty much the same issue, Amazon prime doesn't support 4k on windows 10, I talked to them on support and that is pretty much the only answer they gave to me. I also talked to Netflix support regarding the 4k hdr playback issue and they just weren't able to figure out at all, they suggested me all kinds of software, codec updates, asked me about my pc's configuration and still weren't able to provide me with a proper answer as to why my pc couldn't playback hdr content, they told me that they would get back to me after sometime but I know they won't be able to solve this issue when it's AMD's problem to fix. My friend with a gtx 1060 can run 4k HDR content on Netflix, so can my friends with polaris and navi gpus so this much is clear that only Vega gpus lack support for Playready 3.0 even though what's surprising is that it was mentioned I think 2-3 years ago that Vega along with Polaris gpus would get Playready 3.0 support on windows 10 and well Polaris did got an update for that even Navi gpus got driver update for Playready in August 2019 but still no sign of Vega, I'm starting to suspect that AMD doesn't intend to provide Playready support for Vega anymore. I have 2 pc's 1 for work and 1 for media streaming and all, I have a vega 56 gpu connected to it and it can't playback 4k hdr on Netflix so then I decided to connect my gtx 1060 to it and well it works flawlessly and just for confirmation that in case it was an issue from my end, I connected my friend's rx 5700 gpu and even it streams 4k hdr content on Netflix without any issue at all so I for sure know now that this is an issue for AMD to fix, but I guess this just isn't in their priority list, atleast not anymore.

It's kind of weird and disappointing that all the other gpus can playback 4k hdr content and support Playready 3.0 but vega doesn't.

0 Likes