cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

toof
Adept I

A520M boards USB

Hi, I have no clue what's going on with USB on this chipset. I've built my first one (Asus 520M Plis) of these in the beginning of this year. It lost USB devices, mostly after sleep. So I updated the bios firmware and deactivated USB root hub powersaving in the Windows 10 device manager. 90% of the time USB is okay now, but .. not really. Lately it began losing devices again. USB drives (one with flash memory, another with hard disk).

Now I have got a second PC (MSI A520M) and USB is just as bad. My WLAN stick is lost (after Sleep, even without power saving), it's slower than on other machines (I used that TP-LINK stick on a few other PCs too).

So, I have read that there has been a problem with this chipset. And I think I ran into it, built two PCs, and I besides updating firmwares and drivers, I have no idea what to improve.

I ordered another WLAN stick hoping that it will be better. But actually all USB devices are performing weirdly. Just nothing works for longer than an hour.

Best regards

1 Solution
toof
Adept I

Finally bought PCI-E USB cards. And some Samsung SSD, of course it's not even recognized by the AMD USB. But it works fine with the card.

Guess what, it consistently deadlocks when copying files from one external drive to another. This computer is so broken. Nothing ever works as expected. Worst piece of trash I have ever bought.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies

Maybe if you supply full system specs, someone may be able to offer suggestions. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
toof
Adept I

PC 1
board: ASUS TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS II
cpu: Ryzen 5 5600G
ram: 16gb
power supply: 500w

PC 2
board:MSI A520M-A PRO MS-7C96
cpu: Ryzen 5 5600G
ram: 8gb
power supply: 500w

OS in both cases: Windows 10, I'm trying Linux and Windows 11 to see what's improving.

Problem: Various USB devices performing slowly, disappearing, needing reboot to work again.

0 Likes
gotgrant
Adept III

do you have any fans in the case?

0 Likes
toof
Adept I

> do you have any fans in the case?

No, in each case there is only the CPU cooler (be quiet Dark Rock) and the one in the power supply (be quiet BN297).

PC 1 motherboard temperature goes from 34 to 35 °C, PC 2 motherboard temperature is at 33 °C after about an hour running Twitch in Firefox.

Should I still add case coolers?

0 Likes
gotgrant
Adept III

Motherboard or System Temperature?

I would suggest atleast an exhaust on the Case- you need air movement and the problem with A520 boards is they dont have alot of good heat sinks.

I would also check your drivers

0 Likes
toof
Adept I

Hi again. I've got a SanDisk USB SSD. It will just disconnect on PC 1, every 3 minutes or so.

On PC 2, the USB audio device appears and disappears every 2 seconds.

These problems haunt me, I must have bought the exactly wrong stuff. TBH I think I'm going, just for a test, sell mobo and cpu of both machines at ebay and see what two years (just estimating some time frame in that I could test it) Intel will do.

Or just one Intel machine, Intel vs AMD. Although I have this X1 notebook and it has never any of the problems, it's an Intel thingy inside. I had an Athlon X2 for a long time when most people seemed to like Intel, so I'm no fanboy, or maybe I am and I never knew.

But I think I will just sell these things and put a disclaimer in it "haunted USB". Have you got any idea why USB is like that nowadays? Intel is not better, or is it? I mean just for USB devices. Audio, Webcam, SSD.

Best regards

Markus

0 Likes
toof
Adept I

USB stabilized by simply using a different port. The device is USB 2.0, no idea why it matters, but the blue ports are better maybe.

Though, graphics drops out every few minutes for a few seconds, sometimes all black, sometimes all  white noise.

Replace 500w PS by 700w? Or... is there a chance I can heal PC 2? Replace the MSI board?

There is something just wrong with it.

0 Likes
toof
Adept I

Finally bought PCI-E USB cards. And some Samsung SSD, of course it's not even recognized by the AMD USB. But it works fine with the card.

Guess what, it consistently deadlocks when copying files from one external drive to another. This computer is so broken. Nothing ever works as expected. Worst piece of trash I have ever bought.

0 Likes