Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

DarcyJ
Journeyman III

6800 XT or 6900 XT for VR and CRG9

Hi,

I have a Samsung CRG9 and I occasionally use VR from my setup on a Vive headset.

From what I understand the most suitable card for my use case would be the 6900 XT?
I think it will be necessary to push the CRG9 or my Vive headset.

Or does anyone think  the 6800 XT would be sufficient?

I have recently upgraded to 3950x and I think was probably overkill for VR.

Thanks for your thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

You'll get the same benefit of having the "flagship" AMD card. "SAM" only works in some games right now and is 5000 CPU specific, meaning no BIOS update will make it work, the gain is less than stellar anyway, so not missing a lot.

The 3950X is a super processor, it is more for work than play, but if you got a deal on a combo, great! Bottlenecks can be tricky. Like in FarCry 5, you'll find that 3950X is not going to increase FPS by much no matter what card you buy. Reason is the game engine being geared toward Intel code, despite the "Ryzen" logo when the game starts. So that title is "CPU bound", as is the entire series. Red  Dead Redemption 2 is another CPU bound title. A search on game titles that are CPU bound will show you which ones are. Researching, if you want 100+ FPS at 4k in nearly every title, go with the 6900XT. The 6800XT will do it in most and not fall under 90 FPS at 4K.

I would say the Vega 64 was a great card a few years ago having HBM vs. DDR5 at the time. Upgrading to even the RX 5600 XT like I have would be an improvement even though the memory bandwidth is less at 196 bit.  The 6800XT is roughly 50-60% faster overall and does 4K better. The 6900XT cleans house and blows the Vega 64 away with nearly 100% better performance. To be expected at the $900 point.

"It worked before you broke it!"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I think you could save some coin and go with the 6800 XT. I did a search since I can't afford either, let alone find one in stock. Check out: AMD RX 6800 XT vs 6900 XT: What Are The Key Differences? (premiumbuilds.com), they have a good comparison of both. Your screen size isn't an issue. I can say from other reviews, heat will be an issue with either of those options. A plain 6800 might do just fine since it runs cooler and has decent power, no "Rage Mode", but that showed little gain for the extra money.

Obviously if maximum FPS on a UHD display that cost ya +$1k is the desire, drop the extra on the 6900 XT. Personally, if money were no option and I was using that monitor, I would strap in the best card, rather than be disappointed later. 

Now the 3950X is ok, but you sorta missed the boat. For the 6000 series GPU's to use the level 3 cache of the CPU, you need a 5000 series Ryzen. You could even go with the 5600X. Unless you're doing a lot more things than gaming, the 5600X is great. If you need more, than go to the 5800X, skip the 5950X, way overkill. Generally for gaming anything over 8 cores is overkill. Like is cost was the issue in your build but the big screen was your "must have", the 3800X or XT is the ideal 8 core, the 3600 XT, perfect all around CPU. Here's a CPU link of comparisons of the 3, 5000 series: Various AMD 5800X and Ryzen 5950X Benchmarks Leak | eTeknix You'll see why the 5600X is quite competitive at the $300 mark.

My 3600X runs very close to what the 3900X does, like it's missing 2 cores is all. An example of more isn't always practical. However, going back, I would've gone with the 3800X. Now if I would upgrade, the 5600X would be my choice or the 3600 XT as a second. I'm a 1080p gamer though. CPUZ score is: 531 single/4319 multi stock clocks. 

Whole reason I went into CPU is the point of the GPU working with the CPU as AMD intended, figures into which card you might want to go with. I'd even say you could really save and go with the RX 5700 XT with that CPU, but there seems to still be crash issues from these posts. Too soon to know if that pattern will continue into the 6000 series.

Thank you for the links and suggestions. Website was super handy.

You are right, the screen was the "must have" for me and it is definitely a luxury that I am very happy with.
I agree with the 5600x, does look great for the money but I am currently running a Vega 64 since launch so the GPU makes sense it is the bottleneck for me now and frames are getting pretty low, so I think the best investment would be in GPU now and to work on changing the CPU later.

The 3950x made a massive difference to wireless VR in terms of stability compared to my old i7 7700 at the time and I would have gone with the 3900x back then but I had a very good price for it then with mobo. I have no plans to upgrade this yet as it is still an excellent CPU and I'm hoping it will get some SAM performance with a bios update eventually after the 6900 XT launch. I get that the cache layout is different but still, there's got to be some benefit???

Lets see how availability goes in a few weeks and maybe that will be the deciding factor anyway.

Cheers!

0 Likes

You'll get the same benefit of having the "flagship" AMD card. "SAM" only works in some games right now and is 5000 CPU specific, meaning no BIOS update will make it work, the gain is less than stellar anyway, so not missing a lot.

The 3950X is a super processor, it is more for work than play, but if you got a deal on a combo, great! Bottlenecks can be tricky. Like in FarCry 5, you'll find that 3950X is not going to increase FPS by much no matter what card you buy. Reason is the game engine being geared toward Intel code, despite the "Ryzen" logo when the game starts. So that title is "CPU bound", as is the entire series. Red  Dead Redemption 2 is another CPU bound title. A search on game titles that are CPU bound will show you which ones are. Researching, if you want 100+ FPS at 4k in nearly every title, go with the 6900XT. The 6800XT will do it in most and not fall under 90 FPS at 4K.

I would say the Vega 64 was a great card a few years ago having HBM vs. DDR5 at the time. Upgrading to even the RX 5600 XT like I have would be an improvement even though the memory bandwidth is less at 196 bit.  The 6800XT is roughly 50-60% faster overall and does 4K better. The 6900XT cleans house and blows the Vega 64 away with nearly 100% better performance. To be expected at the $900 point.