cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Nussix
Journeyman III

3d usage spikes to 100%, crashes games on RT 7900 XTX

as the title says, i built a new PC recently, and sometimes when i play, the 3d usage of the GPU randomly spikes to 100% from around 15-20% before, and crashes the game. this happens in multiple games (Dota, Last Epoch, Valorant) but not in others, and i tried many things already, but couldnt find somehting that works. There is also no indication that this is about to happen, the game runs smooth and eprfectly fine, until it doesnt and just crashes. I also downloaded several different benchmarks and i can run those just fine, things like 3d Mark stress tests and benchmarks.

My specs are:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
PSU: CoolerMaster MWE GOLD V2 850W 80 Plus Gold
MB: ROG STRIX X670E-F Gaming WiFI

RAM: 32GB DDR5

This is my first time using this forum, so if i forgot something, please let me knowgpu spike.pngsystem specs.png

0 Likes
3 Replies
petosiris
Miniboss

Hi @Nussix,

Do you get an error message on screen or in the game's logfile when the crash occurs?
Have you updated to the latest Adrenalin driver?
Have you checked if there are updates/fixes for the games that crash, and if so, installed them?

It looks to me that there are problems with the games, not your PC or its components, but it's hard to say without more info.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes

Hi, thanks for the quick answer. there is no ingame error message (the game also usually crashes and im back at the desktop, no freeze or similar, just closes), and I made sure to update all drivers in both the AMD Adrenalin and Armoury Crate.
I did think it was an issue with the game at first too, but then it happened in 2 other games, so im not sure anymore. SInce it still only happens in a few games and rarely, it might be that im just unlucky and found similar issues in 3 different games, but I still wanted to see if someone has similar issues or a fix for them.

0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

The temps are low and the memory usage is also low. 

It may be a RAM issue that's triggered when games hit a certain bad address in RAM.  If that address is high up in RAM It'd only happen when more game assets are loaded, which seem consistent with the spike on 3D usage.  It may also be a VRAM issue on the GPU, but I doubt that.

Have you tested your RAM with Prime95 or similar tool?

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes