cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

What's a memorable in-game achievement or experience that gave you a sense of accomplishment.

For me, it was when my K/D ratio started to be consistently over 1.0 in the games I play. To me that was the magical number where I feel like I wasn't being a detriment to my team. What are some of your achievements or experiences?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
24 Replies
Axxemann
Forerunner

I'd have to say it was when I got my first UNBELIEVABLE! streak playing Combat Arms back in 2009-2010. I had just finished an upgrade and jumped into a match with my clannies. We were playing the Rattlesnake map (clan favorite, and one of my personal all time favorite shooter maps) and I normally camped the back tower sniping. I ended up running out of ammo for both my sniper rifles- I normally carried an M107A1CQ .50 cal, and an M39EMR Desert - the latter was more of a DMR, but they didn't have a DMR class in that game. So I picked up a couple of dropped SMGs that still had plenty of ammo, and decided to head out into the field and see if I could drop someone with a sniper rifle. Well, I ended up mowing through everyone with a PP19 and and MP5. Doubles and triple kills weren't uncommon for me, but when I saw the Ultra Kill (4x) and then the Fantastic (5x) I was getting a bit amped... Last bad guy in front of me ran the PP19 dry, MP5 was already dry, so I swapped to my pistol and got the Unbelievable (6x) on a Nut Shot. Yes, CA actually scored Nut Shots. They were just as lethal as a headshot for the one-hit kill. Scrounged up a couple of fresh guns, and then proceeded to do it AGAIN. 2 Unbelievable streaks in a 90 second span. Not an unheard of feat, but for a guy who was a hard-scope camping sniper, a ton of hackusations started flying in chat. After the match, my Clan Leader drags me to a private channel in the clan Ventrilo server and basically tells me that it's either allow him to TeamView me, or get booted from the clan and reported for hacking. I told him to bring it on, all he was gonna see was my new hardware, my games directory that was squeaky clean, and my stash of *CENSORED.* The freakin' guy actually asked me if he could copy some of the *CENSORED* over to his machine. Needless to say, I laughed and said he could, but if his wife found out, we were both dead men. It wasn't long after that that I started embracing speed and mobility over armor and HP, and the sniper rifles spent a lot more time in the armory instead of in my loadout. I started heavily favoring SMGs, but eventually found the balance with a pair of ARs. One sporting an ACOG, the other a Reflex sight, Sidearm was my venerable 1911 with the +3 mag extension, and the 3-slot backpack got filled with as many frag grenades as I could carry. KDR started climbing fast (I was a 1.8 when I stopped playing CA) and I was even pulling the occasional Unbelievable++ (8x streak) in matches. 

Sadly, the game kind of died. It was a heck of a lot of fun.

Performance over Pretty.
Eudicots
Adept III

For me fully completing Bioshock 2 before any guides were out was my best gaming accomplishment. I had acquired every possible ending in this game way before any videos or discussions were put up online. 

ajlueke
Grandmaster

When I beat the original Ninja Gaiden on NES at a friend's birthday party.  Everyone was in rapt attention watching me play.  

Beating the Dran Draggore fight in "Eye of The Beholder 2", was also a big achievement personally.  I had struggled with that one for a while.

Lately?  I would have to say finishing bases in Valheim.  Starting out on an island with nothing and ending with a heavily fortified base is pretty cool.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I don't remember if I finished Esoteria back in the 1990's, but I just loved the game.  Here's a description of it:

Esoteria is a third person shooter, with emphasis on stealth and sniping. This is the only game that made it out of Mobeus Design before the company folded.

A nuclear weapon has been stolen by terrorists intent on destroying the land of Esoteria and its colonies, and you must stop them. You are extremely outnumbered, by well equipped enemies with innovative AI.

A special low-reflectance skin makes stealth your main advantage. This, coupled with a sniper-scoped main weapon offer a chance of success at a difficult mission. Frontal assaults will usually prove ineffective at accomplishing your goals. This not a run and gun shooter. There are varied missions, with plot twists unfolding depending on your actions.

The graphics were not bad for the time.The graphics were not bad for the time.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

At least it got out the door, unlike Starcraft: Ghost.

BigTacious
Adept III

for me it's still beating link's awakening with my friend as kids without any guides or external help, such a great zelda game.

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi
ThreeDee
Paragon

Getting thru the game Shinobi on one quarter in Alladin's Castle in Madison, Wi when I was a teenager.

They turned up the difficulty on the game and I was still able to get thru on one quarter

They had a monitor on top of that particular cabinet and I'd get a crowd around me watching as I got further and further into the game ... I think they just wanted to play though and I was holding everyone up 😏

ThreeDee PC specs
petosiris
Miniboss

I was not slapped in the face one time when talking to a woman in Leisure Suit Larry, I remember.  Does that count?  It felt like a big achievement at the time. 😜

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It counts for those of us over 50.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

@BigAl01 wrote:

It counts for those of us over 50.

Yup.  You must've played that game to understand the dilemma.  Hahaha!  😂  It was fun.  They should do a remake of it today, with better graphics.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image

As much as it's so not my style of game anymore... I'd pick up a PC remake of Larry just for the sake of nostalgia. They made an X-box version back in the early 2000s that featured a younger Larry (his nephew I think) that I rented one weekend for gits and shiggles.

Performance over Pretty.

Some of us young punks in our early 40s remember that game well, too.

Performance over Pretty.

Just that style of game in general.  Including King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest and Loom.

0 Likes

Leisure Suit Larry.. MAAAAAN!

johnnyenglish_0-1692138037367.png

The Englishman

johnnyenglish_0-1692138037367.png

Yeah, that's the man, at the lower left corner.  Impressive that you still have that magazine!  Do you collect them or just don't throw them in the garbage so they pile up over the years?  😅  No, I bet you're a collector because you found that article so fast so you must have things in order.

Best,

You got me Detective 😎

Tech Hoarder Here.

From GPU's to CPU's. Plenty of laptops. The most iconic magazines of the time. User Handbooks. You name it.

Memories of the long happy past.

The Englishman
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Wow, great question!

I played WOWP (by Wargaming.net) for over two years or so, I was in a clan too. One of the maps looked like the San Francisco Bay, complete with the Golden Gate Bridge. During a dog fight, I think 12 v 12, I managed to do a roll in my Me P.1092? about 10 feet from the ground and maybe 2 feet from the sides of the bridge (think Golden Gate Bridge, with the red iron cables on each side) going full throttle. That maneuver was simply "impossible" to do, and somehow I managed to pull it off while being chased by two P-51s, both of which crashed miserably during their pursuit. The cool thing that I won't forget is getting the "WOW", "Cool", and "That Was Awesome Dude" comments from the pilots that were watching the fight. I ended up being the last plane in the sky and took the win for the team.  Yay! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

People actually played WOWP? I tried it out in beta and found the mouse-aim controls clunky and counterintuitive.

Performance over Pretty.

I used a joystick. I loved the game because it delivered an arcade-like experience (PNP). Plus the community was super cool. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Ah... that explains much. I didn't have a stick at the time. I've got a CH Fighterstick I bought second hand, but it has some drift issues. I have to add a lot of trim to keep it centered. Debating on whether or not I want to crack it open and replace the pots with Hall sensors, but my soldering skills are trash.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

There was so many memorable times while playing... and I believe I already posted some here in the forum.

Let me enjoy this new opportunity to break the ice and be funny, as always. 🤣

A memorable achievement that made me both laugh and feel like a perv.

johnnyenglish_0-1692137734953.png

The Englishman
hoytwilhelmina
Journeyman III

Hey ! I have played many games but the memorable in-game achievement or experience is to play the games with more passion and dedication. What do you think about it?

DRPU Bulk SMS Software by https://www.bulksmsmobilemarketing.com
SubtleIQ
Adept III

Screenshot_20230816_205358_Chrome.jpg

Infinitely easier on heroic , I achieved this on Legendary as well as every achievement for The Silent Cartographer map. Played CE to death on PC, original Xbox, Anniversary and MCC. Legendary FTW !

Michael Alan Horton
Sleepy-AMD
Adept I

Hmmm, first time killing Ragnaros in WoW classic back in the day was quite awesome.

First successful escape in Arma 3 was also oddly satisfying to pull of. Especially with only 1 other player.