cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What Do You Do First In EVERY GAME?

In every game there are a few things I do first. I run through a list and make sure I know as much as I can about how to avoid dying. The first thing I do in almost every game that allows it, is climb and jump off of stuff, gradually climbing higher and higher and jumping until I get to the highest point on the map and jump to see how bad the fall damage is. In Starfield this took a long time.

I don't typically play games where there is no jump button unless the game is an absolute banger.

What do you do first when you load into a new game?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
17 Replies
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

The absolute very first thing I do in any game is turn down the volume.  For some reason, all games default to setting their volume at the absolute maximum and scaring me to death with their introductory cut-scene.

But, you probably weren't looking for that kind of answer.

This is fair. I hate opening a game and getting blasted with the theme music of a game for the first time.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

@cpurpe91 Yessssssss! I had that happen recently. Open the game, got blasted with music, throw off my headphones, and kept them off!

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

I always first tweak my graphic settings because I'm running on a low end laptop and I need to do a lot of messing around with graphic to get a stable gameplay.

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

Makes sense to me. I played on an Acer Aspire for a good chunk of time and that thing ran like a champ, same with my old Asus Tuf with a 1650 in it.

oa127
Adept II

Settings > Accessibility (or related options) > Turn on Subtitles

Then I try to find an audio level for background humming noises and drop it down 75% because it tends to be the bulk of bass and low tones that drown out my range of hearing

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Trident Z RGB, AMD Radeon RX 6600
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I slap on some of the Voltaren Arthritis Pain cream to my right wrist as it will provide some relief for the pain that's soon to come.  Then I check the settings for graphics resolution and things of this nature.  After I get into the game, I will die multiple times before I learn a few things about survival.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I can agree with that one. Mostly on the neck.

The Englishman
0 Likes
hawkeye
Elite

Go into settings turn off motion blur, adjust the FOV, enable subtitles, adjust game audio and maybe disable vsync(depends on the type of game) and limit the fps from the game or using Radeon chill.

I echo this.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI B550 Tomahawk, XFX RX6950XT WB edition, 64G 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

I do nothing other than mouse sensitivity settings or graphics. 

No searching the web or consuming lore before playing. No Spoilers allowed. 

The Englishman

I have been intentionally avoiding spoiler for most of the games I play. I like to find stuff out organically through experiencing the games myself. It's more of a fun surprise that way.

0 Likes

I guess, for example in Dungeon of the Endless (tower defense and roguelike), I just player , trial and error , was fun and somewhat frustrating 

Really I dunno, wait yeah I fine tune graphical settings to get ok temps for the specified fps. I rather take It down some notch , limit FPS with Rivatuner or AMD Adrenaline, I try to keep textures as high as possible however 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Choose my pronouns.

0 Likes

@Anonymous Your kidding

NewAtlantis
Adept II

My first action is always to check all settings. 😅

I like to review all menus first and foremost to see the extent of what can be altered/tweaked!

R9 5900X 4.2GHz+EVGA X570DARK+Gskill DC 32GB 4000 CL16+TUF RX 6700XT 2710MHz