cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

TheLostDrake
Adept II

What do you all think about e3 being cancelled?

Almost a year after announcing its return, the Entertainment Software Association announced today to its members (including me) that this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), has been canceled by email to all that applied via Media or as an influencer.

The organization announced the cancellation via an email to its members yesterday. The email said that while E3 "remains a beloved event and brand" the 2023 version "simply did not garner the sustained interest necessary to execute it in a way that would showcase the size, strength, and impact of our industry."
The ESA concludes the email by reiterating its commitment to advocacy work. It does not mention undertaking the show again in future years.

ESA issued the following public statement from Kyle Marsden-Kish, Global VP of Gaming, ReedPop:
"This was a difficult decision because of all the effort we and our partners put toward making this event happen, but we had to do what’s right for the industry and what’s right for E3. We appreciate and understand that interested companies wouldn’t have playable demos ready and that resourcing challenges made being at E3 this summer an obstacle they couldn’t overcome. For those who did commit to E3 2023, we’re sorry we can’t put on the showcase you deserve and that you’ve come to expect from ReedPop’s event experiences."
The press release adds that ReedPop and the ESA will continue to work together on "future E3 events."
The event was supposed to be held from June 13th through June 16th at the Los Angeles Convention Center and would have been the first in-person E3 event since 2019. The event was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While a digital version was held in 2021, the event was canceled again in 2022 in an effort to focus on a "revitalized showcase" that would set a new standard for hybrid industry events.

E3's return for this year was announced last June alongside the confirmation that E3 2022 had been canceled. The news comes as multiple big names in the industry, from Xbox, Nintendo, Playstation, and more recently, Ubisoft announced that it would not be attending E3 in any capacity, with most opting to host their own digital showcases.
What do you think about this HUGE news and do you even care that it was canceled? Were you planning on going? Do you still want it to be a physical event in the future or is PAX, Dreamhack, GamesCom, or Tokyo Game Show enough for your in-person experiences...
Comment below and let me know your thoughts
Information was provided from IGN and my personally distributed details!

4 Replies

As someone who was trying to go for the first time as a media/influencer to the event: Yes, it sucks that it is cancelled since I was looking forward to the event.

As someone who's been to many conventions, worked them as a vendor or part of the event itself: I can sympathize with what has been said.  If the vendors will not be ready, demos, showcases, panels, exclusives are all not in order...  It could really hurt the E3 brand more than cancelling it.  

So, as a gamer/media/influencer I'm bummed that I will not be attending my first gaming convention, but I would much rather have an event cancel than be poorly executed.

AmazingKara
Adept I

As disappointing as it is I can understand the thought behind canceling as they simply can’t support and make the event the way that it should be and protect the brand however I feel like the announcement should of been more than just an email message and make it seem more personal 

War_Crusnik
Journeyman III

As much as people were looking forward to E3, if they didn't feel like they could do it right then yes, I'm glad they cancelled. It sucks but i would rather have it be cancelled than be a sub-par event and have a bad experience.

0 Likes
circusjdg
Adept I

I have never been to an E3 event, but from stories I have heard from you about E3 it seemed like it was an amazing event that showcased the gaming world extremely well. It's sad that not enough companies wanted to be there this year in order for it to proceed as planned. I wonder if it's because companies want to do their own reveals and showcases now? 

0 Likes