cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Stray - How do you get past those creatures in the city?

I started playing Stray at our recent Labor Day LAN party, and in the beginning I was having a good time.  But then I reached the city where those red creatures start coming at you and even though I run and zig-zag, and try my best to hit the 'alt' key to minimize their affect, I still get killed.  After about 20 times I gave up.  Is there a trick to getting past these blood-sucking creatures that come at you from all angles?

Poor kitty, trapped in the city......Poor kitty, trapped in the city......

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
14 Replies
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Oh my gosh I love this game and finished it all the way through! You're talking about where you have to sprint through and those things stick to you / kill you right? 

I think if I'm remembering correctly, you have to be really strategic on where parts you hop to next. It's not just zigging and zagging around if that makes sense haha.

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
B10sh0ck
Adept I

I believe you have to prioritize staying on the path, minimize zig-zaging, only zig-zag when they jump.

eebiii
Forerunner

Ive never played this game @BigAl01 but found this:

Chapter 2 - Dead City - Stray Guide - IGN

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for the replies.  I looked at the IGN guide and I can see that I have been getting too close to the buildings in the 'Escape the Zurk' sequence.  I need to try their recommendations this weekend.

These are the Zurk.  I wonder what they taste like?These are the Zurk. I wonder what they taste like?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I keep getting killed.  It's even worst than before.  I need someone to sit at my computer and get me through this part.  I can't take it anymore.  😞

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I tried it again and this time I set the run command to toggle.  That was important so my kitty would keep running and I could hit that left-alt key to keep the Zurk off of me.  Now I'm stuck in the next city.

Where am I now?  Stuck on a wall with nowhere to go.Where am I now? Stuck on a wall with nowhere to go.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yay!  I made it to the next level - 'The Flat'.  I'll stop here for now.

We love the progression, Al! Haha

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've discovered that this game can make me nauseous after a short period.  I think it's similar to what I experience with first-person shooter games.  Moving around at a rapid pace just makes me feel like I'm in a virtual reality world I suppose.  But some games, like World of Tanks, are slow enough and not played in confined spaces (like inside buildings) such that I don't feel bad after playing them - except that my right wrist starts to ache from using the mouse.  It's tough getting old I guess.  

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Today I'm near the end of 'The Flat', where I jump into the bucket and ride it down and then I get swarmed by those nasty creatures.  I can't seem to get 'run' mode to toggle - is this only available when you are being chased?  I am overwhelmed quickly once out of the bucket.  I am so near the end and ready for chapter 4, 'The Slums', but I cannot survive.  Meow.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I never could get the run mode (left-alt) to toggle, but I got through to ‘The Slums’.  I am doing well actually.  I’ll stop here for now as we have another wine event to attend tonight.

IMG_7839.jpeg

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Good game worth trying?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If you like cats, yes.

0 Likes
Jennifer211
Adept I

In "Stray," a game where you play as a stray cat navigating a futuristic city, you encounter various challenges, including dealing with the robotic creatures that inhabit the city. To get past these creatures, you can try the following strategies:

1. Stealth and Avoidance:

• Use the environment to your advantage by sneaking around objects or hiding in shadows to avoid detection.
    • Take note of the creatures' patrol patterns and timing to find safe windows to move past them.
  2. Distract and Redirect:

• Look for objects or environmental elements that can be interacted with to create distractions.
    • Throw objects or make noise to divert the creatures' attention away from your path.
  3. Use Height Advantage:

• Cats are agile climbers, so use your ability to climb to higher ground to bypass the creatures.
    • Look for pathways or structures that allow you to move above the creatures' patrol routes.
  4. Observation and Timing:

• Study the creatures' behavior and learn their weaknesses or blind spots.
    • Time your movements carefully to coincide with moments when the creatures are less vigilant.
  5. Trial and Error:

• Experiment with different approaches and learn from your mistakes. If a certain strategy doesn't work, try something else until you find a successful method.

Remember that "Stray" encourages exploration and experimentation, so don't be afraid to try different tactics to overcome the challenges presented by the creatures in the city.