Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Starfield: Your first hour

Starfield_Screen.jpg

Hi, Red Team! 

I'm curious, how did you spend your first hour in the game? Exploring, Customizing, Building...??? (I'm planning to play it this weekend, I'm excited, and so is my 7 year old boy)

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
20 Replies
petosiris
Miniboss

I spent the first hour reading bug reports from users, convincing me to wait before I try.  😜

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
rtbh99
Challenger

unfortunately i spent it tweaking settings to get it to run above 30fps. stupid gtx 1070 cant wait to replace it

---
lets talk about rtbh99
Anonymous
Not applicable

1st hour?!?! Try like 1st 3hrs...

Starfield-Trait-Preview-Gif-300x169.gif

Haven't even gotten to choosing my pro-nouns yet...

HAHA Right I have just made my first jump and still not sure what I should be keeping and not at this point in the game.

What do you mean by "first jump"? (Sorry, I haven't played the game yet)

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

Jump is like space jump to get from one planet to another faster than just flying out in space to get there. LOL that is what I did for the first one.

AgCN3
Adept III

In the first hour, I was trying to get acquainted with the controls and mechanics of the game.  After that, I spent a lot of time mining resources on the second planet that you end up on.

Then, it was into the ship to use the science station to start research on various things that can be done early on.

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@AgCN3 wrote:

[...] I spent a lot of time mining resources on the second planet that you end up on.

End up on?  Does this mean Starfield is a theme park type of game or is that planet determined as a destination in a voluntary mission, or perhaps part of a guiding tour for new players?

I thought Starfield was an open universe where you could roam freely around as a player.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image

Everything you do in Starfield affects where you end up, but the main story (If you choose to follow it, as I am in my first play-through) takes you to many different planets and outposts along the way.  The main story has missions that you have to complete, and as such, you "end up" going to all of these places to go along with the "plot line".

Yes, you can choose not to follow the story, and do your own thing.  That's the beauty of Starfield.

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
InnerConflict
Adept II

sad to see amd cpus being very weak compared to intel in an amd sponsored title. i bet all the physics and such could have really utilized some of that stacked cpu cache more than it does for now. in star citizen it does gigantic wonders for performance, even in escape from tarkov which also has insanely expensive AI routines and networking brutally hammering on the CPU. starfield has planet and orbit simulation, ai routines, but its segmented as a game. 5800x3D not beating even a 11900k is sort of unacceptable.

in starfield my 5800x is barely faster than a i7 8700k when it should be more like a 11700k.

cyberpunk had some weird mistakes too, not to the extend of what we see in starfield, but cdprojectred botched the code and a hex editor fix increased threading efficiency and such so users could fix it themselves and get a decent cpu performance boost which was necessary. i bet there has to be a mistake with some minor code in starfield preventing ryzen cpu´s to be as fast as they should be.

if you keep dlss 3 out of the game and FSR3 isnt on the sponsored list (yet) and still will take a while to release and be hotfixed, i refuse to continue playing the game without frame generation. if i cant atleast get a locked 60fps in atlantis and other towns like akila on a bloody 5800X. im not gonna upgrade my cpu for 16 times the lies aka todd howard. either i wait for a (hopefully) superb FSR3 integration (i run a rx6950xt and better hope it doesnt have drawbacks vs rdna 3 in image quality), or i wait for mods. 

the kinda game i dont wanna play at release thats for sure. maybe on a future PC. as todd says, time to upgrade, ofc to a RX9069 and Ryzen 9069X3D in 5 years. kek.

in general though. im tired of how ridiclious starfield looks at times and never justifies its graphics or simulation with corresponding hardware. the sad part is, amd sponsored games, to my benefit as a RDNA2 gpu owner, run pretty great compared to nvidia/intel, but they also generally just in general run very poor compared to nvidia sponsored titles. thats like the meta, the mind trend. not every game mind you, but always when it comes to the big blockbusters. you really need to call bethesda and shake em up and fix that ryzen performance. 

Uboo
Adept II

I spent the first hour on the starting area exploring everything until I realized this isn't ARK lol.  Then finally went to space and wow just took my time and enjoyed gaming for once.  Many hours in at this point and I don't really have a lot of issues.  Found a few bugs but other than that been having fun.  

Need to start listening to my NPC friends when they say, "Do you really need all that?"  The Trade Authority knows me by name.  

BigTacious
Adept III

Analyzing the global lighting system they're using, and tweaking settings for sure lol.

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi
DanE-50
Adept I

I haven't installed the game yet but I've already spent dozens of hours modifying my minimalist system,  reviewing comments and how-to's,  and selecting my background and traits.     I am really looking forward to playing after all the initial issues are resolved....

petosiris
Miniboss

WCCftech reports: 

"Starfield Engine Might Have An I/O Optimization Issue, Stuttering Noticed Even On High-End Gen5 SSDs"

Read here: https://wccf.tech/1cl3c

Best,
Key-J
Paragon

My first hour was spent not playing it because I didn't win any of the various giveaways I entered. 

/sad

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

sadviolin.gif

😂❤️

officialdjdmc
Adept II

I am not convinced I will like it. I like DMZ and BF2042 mostly.  On the fence of getting it.

oa127
Adept II

Find dumb wildlife, scan, sneak, punch, loot, repeat. Works on plants, too.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Trident Z RGB, AMD Radeon RX 6600
Ninfazza
Adept II

I was supposed to be clearing Pirates out of a base, but instead I ran off into the distance to see what I could find. I always love going off at a tangent in games, I will leave the main quests until last. 🙂

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

My first hour was spent exploring the first city I came across and finding vendors who will buy more than just their specialty items, weapons, armor, and the ones who buy everything.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB