cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Sim Racing: I did it! Got the Logitech G923 and...

Guys! I did it. After months of “negotiations” with the wife, research, and secretly saving the money, I purchased the Logitech G923 and the Playseat Trophy Logitech Edition cockpit last night!

Logitech G923Logitech G923

Playseat Throphy Logitech EditionPlayseat Throphy Logitech Edition

I’m excited, I can’t wait to play Assetto Corsa Competizione (again) and F1 2022 (Expert mode), and will probably download F1 2023, and eventually Forza Horizon 5 soon.

Now, I have a Viotex 34” Curved Gaming Monitor, which is just great. But I’m already plotting to get something else, a larger, curved monitor or even a curved TV as these are easier on the pocket.

I’m thinking about:

1 – AOC - AG493UCX2 49" LCD 4K UWHD Gaming Monitor - Black/Red

2 – Samsung - 55" Class TU8300 Curved LED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV

Does anyone know if there are smaller curved TVs out there? I can’t find anything under 55”…

UPDATE:

I got all the parts Saturday night via Amazon. It took me about an hour to set up the cockpit, the steering wheel, and the pedals, including adjusting the seat, and updating all the settings in Assetto Corsa and F1 2022.

Assembling the Playseat Trophy was easy. The manual is clear and intuitive. Adjusting it took some extra time, especially setting the right distance and angle of the pedals. Overall, it's a good beginner to intermediate investment if you are serious about sim racing. The rig feels rigid, and the seat is more comfortable than I had expected. The only drawback is not having the ability to adjust the seat for others to play in it (i.e. my 7-year-old boy). My wife tried to do a lap in F1 2022 (Monza) and she got carsick in less than 30 seconds, so you know it's working! ;-). Another great feature of the cockpit is its weight; you can easily move it (or slide it) around, and/or store it when you're done playing. 

The G923 feels solid. The buttons didn't require much re-mapping, and if you are used to playing with an Xbox controller, then you'll like the layout, it's almost the same. I did have to increase the resistance of all the pedals. The default setting is just too soft.

Here are the pics guys:

SamSimSetup1.jpg

SamSimSetup2.jpg

SamSimSetup5.jpg

SamSimSetup3.jpg

SamSimSetup4.jpg

SamSimSetup6.jpg

And here is what it looks like when it's in "sleep mode" (i.e. stored).

SamSimSetupA.JPG

Overall, if you're looking to get a beginner to intermediate-level sim racing rig, I recommend these products - I'm sure they'll take your racing to a much higher, more immersive and realistic level. I've loving it! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
25 Replies
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

When you get it all set up, can you show us some pics.😁

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

Yes, you got it! 😎

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think about g29 but for now I play with controller.

Hello @Anonymous 

I've been playing with the analog controller for a while. It just doesn't do the trick for me anymore. It doesn't deliver the experience I'm looking for, I'm sure you agree. 

I looked at the G29 ($299), and for the price difference ($30), going with the G923 ($327) makes more sense to me.

Which racing game(s) are you playing?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Sam_AMD

where I live 90e is price difference so I will chose g29 but for you that is small difference.

I got third monitor so I wanted to try racing game. fish eye effect in games is problem with 3 monitors but experience is still good with dirt rally 2.

I am new to racing games and I recently started with dirt rally 2. I will try other racing games soon, maybe assetto corsa or forza horizon.

Controller is ok for begginer like me but it will not provide full control.

Yup, 90 Euros is quite a difference. 

Are all your monitors the same size, make, and model? I'm assuming you'll use one of them for telemetry? 

I hope you'll enjoy Assetto Corsa, and if you can, give F1 2022 (or 23) a chance. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one aoc 27g2(u) and two aoc 27g2sp(u) monitors. sp(u) is newer version and improved little.

all 3 are 27 inch and 1920x1080 resolution and they did fit in my budget and I like high fps so I did not go for higher resolution.

27g2sp(u) is great monitor and price is low when you see performance of it. there are few competitors but they cost more. there is no review for 27 inch but you can see review for 24g2sp(u) but they should have similar performance.

some say 27 is too big for 1920x1080 resolution but I like it. maybe you will not like full hd on 27inch.

I just started with one and after that I got second monitor to try and see is it good to have more screens and I liked it so I got one more and started to play racing game. I did not rush for g29 because I do not know how much will I play racing games.

You will see on yt that sim racers often have 3 monitors and recommendations are at least 3x 27inch they say ultra wide monitors just do not have enough vertical size for immersion. 3x 32inch with higher resolution and good performance will have higher cost and fps will be lower.

fish eye effect is ugly but left and right monitors are just for immersion and you will look only monitor in middle.

You will not know if you do not try.

jamesc359
Forerunner

Congratulations! That looks like a fantastic wheel/pedal set. Don't get into to many wrecks out there!

Thanks James! 

Wrecks are expensive in sims. So, I'll be driving as fast and as safe as possible.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Anonymous
Not applicable

remove this reply.

I'm kinda reckless in most games. It's a good thing it's virtual, I'd never make it as a real race car driver. Oops!

Prince117
Adept II

Nice man... just don't use it for a submarine.

Prince Ragland
soullodolo
Adept III

Looking forward to see actual photos and gameplay 

Ryzen 7 5800x (Desktop), Ryzen 7 6800H (Laptop)
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

Looks nice man, but I feel the monitor is too small. Maybe I'm just used to seeing this set up with like 3 monitors😍

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

You're right, most sims have triple 27" monitors. For now, my rig is doing the trick, and I'm thinking about getting a 49" curved display (by either ASUS or MSI) by X-mas. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Now you just need a fan to blow air at you while you drive to take the sim experience up a level! 😂

sonuchi
Adept III

Ooooo I've been wanting to start up on sim racing with a setup like this, but I'm limited with space a bit. I'll have to look at this Playseat and see if it's a possible option. I have a really old Logitech steering wheel, so we'll see about that part...

The setup looks good for starting out! Thanks for sharing!

I hear ya! Space is one of the reasons why I got the Playseat/Logitech cockpit. It's about 23" wide and 59" long. And about 38 lbs. It slides nicely over a carpeted floor or a rug. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes
Dannyboy3210
Adept II

I Picked up the G920 at the start of the year, but haven't really used it because my main games right now are thr Forza Horizon games, which I learned are not really great when not using a controller... (At least for me).

I saw this and picked it up last night though: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ultimate-racing-sim-bundle-victory-lap

I had been waiting for it to go back on sale as the games had been highly recommended for use with a wheel.

0 Likes

Wow, that is a sweet bundle! 

I'll tell you Assetto Corsa Competizione is the real deal, especially if you're into GT racing. It's the game that started all for me. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Ohhh that's nice, Boss. Congrats on showing your wife a power point presentation and convincing her!

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

All I need (want) now is a new 34" curved gaming monitor to be "happy" LOL. The wife is onboard already. Yay! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sam_AMD   after almost 3 months can you tell us your experience with your racing sim? what are your thoughts on g923? did you get new monitor? do you plan to change something?

0 Likes

Good morning, @Anonymous , everyone!

Of course. Here we go:

Since my OP, I "remodeled" my home office. I posted a few pics and provided a description of my setup in the Battle Stations sub-forum.

That said, here are the pics:

Oli5000_1_sm.JPG

Oli5000_2_sm.JPG

I ended up buying a second 34" Curved Gaming Monitor (MSI MPG341QR (3440 x 1440)) and set it as my primary display. I use it for work, gaming, browsing, etc. 

I dedicated the second 34" Curved Gaming Monitor (Viotek GNV34DB Ultrawide Gaming Monitor) to my sim setup. I keep it off till I'm ready to race. 

Both monitors are connected to my Radeon RX 6800 XT GPU. The former HMDI, the latter DP. 

Important note. I realized ergonomics is important. You want the center of the monitor to be at your eye level, and about 24 to 28 inches away. Avoid having to look up at the track/game. 

About racing. The G923 has dramatically improved my racing experience. Customizing the dial, buttons, and shifter was intuitive in both the G HUB Gaming Software and in F1 2022 settings. It took me less than 5 mins, although I had to fine-tune the wheel's resistance a few times, and disabled the center clutch pedal after running a few laps in F1. By the way, the shifter is very sensitive yet robust and provides good feedback (the "clicking" sound helps a lot when downshifting rapidly- I like it)

The brake and accelerator pedals' resistance can (and should) be customized based on your liking. I like my brake pedal hard, I set it at 90%. Feels great. While the accelerator is at 70%. You can make these changes in both the Logi software and in the game's settings. 

The steering wheel feels solid. It's metal wrapped in leather. And the pedals are just as good. By the way, the steering wheel is a bit too small for me - it's a personal thang. 

Overall, the G923 is a great mid-entry-level kit. I recommend it to anyone who is an expert analog controller racer, and is ready to "level up". I see myself using the kit for another year (till I'm done with F1 2023 - which I'm planning to buy around this holiday season). I have not had any issues whatsoever with the kit (both hardware and software). Then, eventually, upgrade to a FANATEC kit. 

Let me know if you have any more questions

Sam
Your biggest fan!
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Congrats Sam! That is one sweet set up!

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED