cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Helgi
Adept I

Rig Building in March

Basically an advice post; I find myself at a crossroads in my upgrade path. 

I am currently running a hodg-podge of a rig, Originally built with a 2700 on a X470 and 580, upgraded to a 5800 and 6900, and now back on the old 2700 with the 6900. 

So needless to say, it's time for a real new build.

I am debating between a 5800X3D and the 5900X. 
Have even considered a  Threadripper build, is it worth it for a gaming rig ? 

It's been a minute since my last real build,
so what Main boards are y'all having good luck with right now ? 
Who's your favorite for Memory right now? 
any combo's that just are not cutting it ? 

Thanks for any and all feedback. 

HPC guy turned gamer
Ryzen7 / RX6900
1 Solution

Okay, I just did some research and asked a colleague of mine. An AMD Ryzen 7 5800X with a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite Gaming Motherboard X570 is a great combo for gaming! As for GPU, any Radeon RX 5000 or RX 6000 gpus will do the trick. 

By the way, check out our Product Resource Center page if you want to compare specs. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

6 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I could never justify the expense of the Threadripper series, because they require expensive motherboards and CPU coolers.  I would recommend the 5900X CPU at this time, because I think I've seen price reductions and the motherboards are not that expensive if you don't require all the bells and whistles.  Video card wise, keep your 6900 and wait until new cards come out this fall, or at least until prices fall over the summer for the existing video cards.  Assuming you like the RGB parts (I sure do), I would go for 64 GB of DDR4 RAM from Corsair I think.  

Maybe my situation is different from most, but I don't upgrade my existing machines much - maybe a more powerful video card or swapping an HDD system drive for an SSD system drive.  Once I build a machine, it generally stays that way.  I then build new machines so I don't have too many used parts that just sit around.  When I decommission a machine, such as several old AMD Thunderbird builds, I turn to running Linux on them or eventually they become spare parts for other people that can't find a replacement for their old computer builds.  

Why not create something unique, in terms of the case design?  Modding is my hobby really - fitting computer components into old appliances like microwave ovens, printers, scanners and things of this nature.  It's fun and creative at the same time.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hi @Helgi 

I haven't built a rig in years, since the birth of my son; so I'm a little rusty...that said, and depending on what you're going to do (i.e. gaming vs. streaming vs. developing...), any 7 or 9 series CPUs (including the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X) are great choices.  Threadripper are powerful CPUs, but as @BigAl01 mentioned, you may not need one. As for GPU, Radeon RX 5000 and RX 6000 are great! A few friends of mine have them and are gaming "beautifully". About RAM, the most I ever had in my past builds was 16GB - plenty for gaming. 32GB won't hurt...if you have the budget and looking to future-proof, then go for it!  

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Okay, I just did some research and asked a colleague of mine. An AMD Ryzen 7 5800X with a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite Gaming Motherboard X570 is a great combo for gaming! As for GPU, any Radeon RX 5000 or RX 6000 gpus will do the trick. 

By the way, check out our Product Resource Center page if you want to compare specs. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
red5
Miniboss

Just remember that Gigabyte has gotten a big black eye lately thanks to their terrible customer service and some sketchy products. I had a terrible RMA experience myself with a Gigabyte motherboard several years ago. I think I'd stick with MSI or Asus if you're shopping for a new mobo, but that's just me and my 22+ years of experience as a builder and modder LOLOL

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Ha ha! I know our technicians and engineers have tested/played a lot with the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi, I've seen the MBs and the boxes laying around their benches. MSI can be a great alternative. Thank you for your feedback @red5 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
dashtrash
Adept I

From the sounds of it, 5800x3d will be the way to go.  All that cache should help gaming.  How could it not.  Don't think TR will help much at all for gaming, but it can do it no problem.  Just not as fast as 5800x3d.   I have a crosshair VIII formula, been pretty happy with it.  I haven't had much time lately, but I plan to do more tuning with it on some Gskill ram.  I think anything with Samsung B die ram will do fine.  I have been reviewing a long memory overclocking thread over at overclock.net.  If you are really pushing it, the pcb the ram chips are on can make a sizable difference in your end results.  My goal is 1900fclock with flat 14 primary timings without crazy voltages.  We'll see. 

I don't see how you could go wrong with any of the chips you listed though.