cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

radunicornn
Journeyman III

Physx support for AMD GPU

There's a lot of games with Physx and it would be nice to have those optimized for AMD GPU

0 Likes
11 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

who owns Physx?

simplest way to get Physx with AMD is buying a 1030 2G (~75eur)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

also watch: PhysX Cards - 10 years later do they still suck??

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

You can, you just need to download and install the PhysX software.

0 Likes
saywhut
Challenger

PhysX is still a thing?  I remember almost 10 years ago pairing my HD 4890 with an 8800 GTS (g92) for PhsyX.  It worked well while playing Mafia II at the time.

0 Likes

Here is an example of running  "GPU based PhysX" on Borderlands 2  on AMD GPU's in Crossfire. 
The PhysX effects run on your CPU using Nvidia PhysX Driver. 
There is no Nvidia GPU needed in the system. 

It took me a while to find this video - from old days before AMD Crimson I used to use Raptr AMD Gaming Evolved APP and Plays.TV: 

https://plays.tv/s/MIL9ElpjOFrY 

You may have to wait ~ 1 minute before the video starts to run, but it should run. I think it is not on a Plays.TV "archive" (slower) server. 

It also works on other "GPU based PhysX" games - list is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support
I have tested latest Nvidia Physx software on the Batman series on R9 FuryX and RX Vega 64 Liquid earlier this year. 

Let me know if you need any more help setting it up. 

Thanks.

0 Likes

PhysX was open sourced quite some time ago so now AMD or a game developer can use the API or modify it as desired for development.

The only problem is fixing it to support the old Ageia API so that some dependant games would work properly.

0 Likes

The PhysX wiki says Nvidia allows Hybrid PhysX since 2016, although I haven't tested it, and the only Nvidia card I have is an old 470 which would kill my PSU combined with Vega 56.

0 Likes

The 470 will tank jou FPS because it is not fast enough. But thats a mute point when of should kill jou PSU, which would give you an average of 0 FPS. But the frame times would be very consistent

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

PhysX was bought by Nvidia. And the swapped out the code to get of running on these GPU's.

Later (a bit) as GPU's became powerfull enoigh to do both graphics and compute introduced CUDA as the accelartion platform for PhysX. Quote some time thereafter they reincluded a CPU path for PhysX, as support by devs was kinda lacking.

Lol, and as or stands ... PhysX isnt really a huge thing anymore, as the NV arch doesnt have kuch untapped resources, when compared to GCN which is quite a different beast.

And had acceleration in Havok, but just before the release of the beter version, Intell aquired it.

Evil tongues said NV looking at buying Havok  as well and havok-performance was ons of the main selling points when looking at their core2 extreme... zo actually Intel just want er to prevent NV of grabbing Havok and as such owning the 2 most domein physics API's ...

Thank god for GPU Open      

benman2785
Big Boss

PhysX was used in the "old days" when CPUs could barely calculate enough physics for the game to run "okish"
so they created an extra card that helps the CPU out.
today it isnt really needed - yet Ngreedia still sponsors (actually bribes) Developers and Studios to hold back AMD
same with "GameWorks" - its proprietary and even doesnt run good on Nvidia cards; yet AMD brought "GPUOpen" which can do the same but then it will work on BOTH AMD and Nvidia

gpus are the bottleneck today. people have so many underutilized cores on their cpus and these cpus have underutilized SIMD units. you wouldn't want to add more work to your gpu in todays conditions. 

0 Likes