Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

chukhan
Journeyman III

MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X Fan issues

Hey Guys,

so I just bought an MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X via Ebay a Week ago. Whenever I start a game the game crashes even before I reach the main menu (Fallout 4, Anno 1800, Total War Shogun, Attila, Medieval II, Cities Skylines etc.) because the card is overheating. I get a greenscreen and the PC restarts after a few seconds. When restarted the monitor stays black. Only when i restart manually the monitor works again. So my current diagnostics are, that the fans just won´t start spinning at all when the card gets hot. BUT only while gaming. When I use benchmark Software (Userbenchmark, 3DMark) everything works fine oO. Also when installing Adrenalin for the first time i could deactivate the 0rpm mode in the performance section. that worked but when restarting the PC the fans don`t spin, AND when trying to start Adrenalin i get a greenscreen and the PC restarts. This is just so random....

I tried to manipulate the fan curve in Adrenalin, didn`t work, I installed the drivers without the software, still doesn`t help, I set a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, nothing happens. Even when i set the fans manually to 100% they still rest, so MSI Afterburner, doesn`t do anything.

I really tried to find a solution to this but now i am out of ideas... I searched the heck out of Google but nothing out there fixed my issue. 

Fun fact: Before updating to 20.2.2 I had the same issue but in reverse. When gaming the fans worked, when benchmarking they didn`t. (wth?)

Kudos and kisses for any help. 😘

Don`t hurt my feelings because of my grammar, I`am german. 

My Setup:

MSI B450m Mortar Titanium (also have an ASRock Z270m extreme4. Same issues)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X Driver Version: 20.2.2

Mars Gaming MPB750 750W PSU

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)

0 Likes
5 Replies
mlnhead
Journeyman III

Same thing happened to my 2 week old XFX Raw II 5700xt... I have lost total control of my fans via afterburner and Adrenaline 20.2.2... With the previous driver I had control and idle temp was kept to 31-34C depending upon the ambient temp... Now It stays at 48. The fan will ramp up when I get into the game save of Red Dead 2. But the temp stays 48-50... Like I said no fan until I reach the loaded game. This is the exact thing that AMD had been pressured about by Gamerz Nexus and other techies about the 5700xt's software and heat issues. But they made it worse... 

0 Likes
chukhan
Journeyman III

20.2.2 still not fixed.

Crashes still occure randomly. Sometimes even when I just start Adrenalin i get an Green Screen Immediately, sometimes when i try a BenchMark, Sometimes when starting a Game...

This is what Who crashed spits out:

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Thu 12.03.2020 23:50:11 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031220-5718-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x8DD3C7)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE302C51E68C8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Is my Card broken? Seems so, what else could a "fatal  hardware error" be?

Any Admin or Support member here? I am loosing my mind...

0 Likes
mlnhead
Journeyman III

chukhan 

First problem that I had was with the fans. I did find out with the newest drivers, the only control now is in setting up fan profile in Adrenalin. That solves the issues with no fan. But every other time I reboot, it seems to forget my settings and I have to reconfigure the fan speeds again. The slider for setting up 0%-100% doesn't work at all. Same with MSI Afterburner. Afterburner was working with the January driver update.

Another crash I was having, was kinda like yours. I was getting a Blue Screen of death in Red Dead Redemption 2. But, only after installing my 9900KF processor. I remembered Gamerz Nexus touched on this topic, as related to the 9700k. Seems when running 4.9Ghz or higher, for me at least; along with the 5700xt, my game was able to reach 130fps with my 1080p Ultra/optimized game settings. Which kept giving me a driver crash like you said you are seeing. I think there are 2 ways to get that to stop. Set settings that will kill the FPS by 10FPS or so. 2nd choice, lower the clock speed. I lowered the clock to 4.8Ghz and raised one or two settings to stress the system more. Got my FPS down below 120fps and haven't had a crash since. I was having the fan issue with the i7 8700, figured that problem out, but when I installed the 9900KF then ran into a different issue. I am sure that your 3700x can get 120FPS with the 5700xt in many games, and I'm not so sure that RDR2 is the only game that has the 120FPS threshold...

0 Likes
chukhan
Journeyman III

Well currently i am running a Ryzen 2700x which caps at 3,9GHZ...no overclocking... 

0 Likes
urquanmaster42
Journeyman III

I have exact same random green screen crashes with my Powercolor Red Dragon RX 5700 (non-XT). Temps are fine; fan control is very confusing but something (either the driver/native VBIOS or the MSI Afterburner custom curve) makes the fans ramp up when the temps rise. But the crash symptoms are exactly same - if it happens, it happens shortly after starting the game; when PC reboots afterwards, it doesn't pass the POST and requires 1-2 manual reboots to start up.

The crash is likely to happen under light load, like shortly after starting a game or at random times when opening a tab in Chrome or watching video on YouTube or in VLC. It never happened during long play sessions and is not related to GPU load - it's actually more likely to crash in Chrome or a 2D game rather than anything demanding.

I've had these crashes ever since I bought the card in October 2019; tried every driver version as soon as it came out. I had less trouble with one of the previous versions, either 20.1.3 or 20.2.1, can't remember now. But a few days ago I decided to give 20.2.2 a try, and ran into at least five crashes this weekend.

0 Likes