Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Robbert
Adept III

Most disappointing game - and why

Hi all,

I figured, let's throw in another question, why not! 

For me the most disappointing game so far has been an EA title, surprise surprise, being Anthem. The game was created by Bioware. How can a Bioware game be bad? To this day I don't understand that... Grinding was terrible too, and I used to play WoW and D3 24/7, so I am used to grinding.

The game was clunky, the story was paper thin, and again, it was Bioware. What happened?

Looking forward to read about y'all's dumpster fires!

Robbert

19 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Depraved.

It is a simple strategy resource and people management game set it the early 1800's where you build and manage settlements. Even the early access was surprisingly nearly bug free. Nearly 2 years now and there has been one minor patch and no sign of any further development. In fact if you try to go to their support page you get a message saying this sight no longer exists.

Another reason I avoid all early access titles. Unfortunately almost all new interesting games that come out start as early access.

Cyberpunk 2077.

I must stress, this has nothing to do with any of the bugs that existed at release, or still exist today.

This is a game that felt rushed, and tried to do too much. It has a decent story, so it has that going for it, but it makes an attempt to be both Deus Ex and Grand Theft Auto, and falls well short of being either one.

Fallout 76. I'm a huge Fallout fan and I was so excited for FO76's release. Terribly disappointed with how clunky it felt (to me), monotonous but not in a fun Fallout way... There are some other things, but overall it was a game that I was really looking forward to playing and ultimately was hugely let down.

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •

I actually enjoyed the game a lot - but I totally see your point re trying to be too much!

0 Likes

For me it was Halo 4.

Everyone was waiting for the future for the Halo, and people were hoping 343's first game was going to be just as good as Bungie's Halo 3 and Halo: Reach.

Instead we got a cod clone, complete with kill-streaks and loadouts. It really deviated from the Halo formula of being an arena shooter. The gameplay felt really clunky as well. The campaign wasn't the best either but aged pretty well. 

Key-J
Paragon

@Robbert I totally share your frustration with Anthem, however - I still quite enjoyed the game and am more sad than mad over its failure.

The game that has really disappointed me was New World by Amazon. It really presented itself as this grand opportunity to re-enter the MMO space for me. A number of friends and I, (some of which I convinced - which I feel bad about) bought it with the hopes to sort of re-live our old MMO (WoW) days. Unfortunately, we started dropping like flies. The game was just too repetitive and required such immense hours put in to stay competitive that it started to lose its fun. Also, the botting situation really put a black mark on it. I have hope it may get better, but I haven't touched it in a couple of months and don't really feel like I plan to anytime soon.

Oh..... and BF2042 of course 🤣

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
XelaVo581
Adept II

cyberpunk

Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts
BrokecaR34
Journeyman III

BioWare is on a roll, my most disappointing game that I sadly still completed and still poured too many hours into single and MP was:

Mass effect Andromeda

Maybe it was because I went in to alpha test for like 2 weeks on it at EA and felt obligated to get a game I bug tested for but my god did it really really drop the ball by barely changing the **bleep** ice world...lifeless game, animations, unimpactful choices and alot of wandering empty planets. Sure the actual like shooting and abilities were pretty decent but not exactly the thing that completely sold Mass effect games prior.

"I shed blood, sweat and tears on my Skyline over at BrokecaR34 on Instagram"
Callimaco
Journeyman III

My current most disapointing game is Marvel's Avengers . It is like someone came up with an outline for a very good game and figured someone would fill in the rest, and never did. The most disapointing thing is that the good parts, like the story, are very good, but the bad parts are very bad and are probably never going to be fixed. 

Ezlin
Adept I

Now that's a difficult question.

I rarely buy games these days because, well, a lot of them are buggy broken messes. It's actually reached a point where I know very little, if anything, about upcoming games.

But I don't know, probably Cyberpunk 2077 takes the crown simply because Cyberpunk as a genre is one of my favorites, and I love Synthwave music. Shadowrun, for example, is pretty great, but I was looking forward to the design approach in 2077. And of course the Witcher games, although janky in some ways, were pretty great experiences IMO.

Turns out that 2077, the visuals, the cut scenes, pretty much all of it were literal actual lies, on top of being an immensely broken mess of a game.

I tell you, not pre-ordering games has been one of the best decisions that I've ever made.

A runner up may be Street Fighter V. I was a huge Street Fighter fan but oh my days what a mess. SFV issues were:

* Atrocious netcode. A few years after its release, a mod was produced in like one (or two?) day(s) that fixed the network lag. Capcom responded by patching to block the mod and barely adjusted their own network code, which remains terrible to this day.
* No region filtering for match making. A fighting game that will happily assume that a person literally on the other side of the planet has a better connection with you than the person directly across the street from you.
* One-sided roll back where your opponent sees a clean fluid match, while your side is jittering, pausing, and fast forwarding. A fix and an explanation of the fix was provided years ago by the Skullgirls developer(s). This was ignored by Capcom & never fixed.
* CFN, their lobby & match making service, is still a janky mess to use, and originally used mobile game servers for CFN which caused numerous errors like loss of ranking points and disconnects.
* Lack of fan favorite characters, opting instead to add numerous new characters.
* Company-signed kernal level driver using copy / paste code from the Internet that would have given attackers easy kernal level access to your system. Patched out, thankfully, after a massive back lash. Claimed to be an anti-cheat mechanism, its real purpose turned out to be protecting paid skins from modders providing free access to the paid skins.

Oh, and Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is another runner-up. They fulfilled my every expectation in spectacular fashion when my expectations were the most minimal thing that could possibly be produced whilst simultaneously dropping the ball like a lead weight. Isn't it great to see a company deliver so thoroughly?

--
Ryzen 7 2700X ∙ Red Devil 6900 XT ∙ 32 GBs RAM | AMD since the ATi & Voodoo days | Awaiting new CPU prices

Rainbow 6 siege 

1. deleted lots of detail for “storage capacity”
  2. keep downgrading the game and playerbase 
  3. lots of cosmetics that players actually want are locked and you have to pay to get them but when you open like 25 you actually get stuff you don’t want

stuff I remember from the top of my head 

RealComputerEnthusiast
Omnipro
Adept II

First come to mind right now was Cyberpunk.

I played half way through it and loved the story, world, and could of finished it on the more stable Stadia version, but I wanted to wait for Next Gen update, and start over, and complete it.

I saw a Youtube video of a guy comparing all the PR videos CDPR released talking about all the features the game would have, and what we ended up with. There is a lot of broken promises.

One of the missing features are the VR simulations. It was used as a story mini game to solve a murder.

Later you are given your own VR rig as a gift, and in the redlight district stores, you can buy disks\chips with more simulations, but they cannot be used just junk inventory to recycle.

There is so much content that will never come.

They will release the next gen upgrade, and some DLC, but will be forever incomplete. We will have to settle for user created content that only PC users can access.

100% Cyberpunk 2077 

not just because of the bugs or story content, but because they hyped it up during the media tour to be something it wasn’t. Much like how No Man’s Sky did during their media tour but they eventually made that game that and much more over the years. We haven’t heard anything concrete from CDPR in a long time and while the pandemic is still a thing I’m not holding out hope for anything Cyberpunk related 😞

blenderhead1
Adept I

Cyberpunk 2077 for me as well. I thought I was going to live in that game for months. I had the impression it was going to be like an Elder Scrolls/Farcry game on steroids.  Without Keanu Reeves that game is nothing.

hlaks
Adept I

+1 on anthem.  I tried it for the first time this last week and I was astounded at how boring it was.  I ended up uninstalling it the same day I played it.

I'm seeing a trend here. Poor Cyberpunk 😂 

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
majicalpanda
Adept II

This may not have been a bad game but for me it’s mass effect andromeda. I had so much hype going into that one thinking we would get a whole new trilogy and it would be universally praised but I was completely wrong

Cyberpunk 2077

I'd heard about it for ages but was never on the whole hype train etc

I decided on a whim to buy it half an hour before it was released. Looked great and I liked the whole storyline and mutiple potential endings.

But the endless bugs and glitches ruined it all for me. Some big main story quests where no one would attack me so I could just walk through it untouched etc

One of the main end 'boss' fights where the 'boss' bugged out on some steps so couldn't hit me.. I was able to just stand and kill him without any effort. Multiple things like that totally took away from what could have been a great experience.

Given how long the build up was I can only imagine how annoyed the people who were following/supporting it were. The companies attitude was shameful imo, 16months later and they are still fixing day one issues.

Any future content/dlc/expansions they plan on releasing would want to be at least free and even at that I would hard pushed to even bother download it again as even if it was free.. why would you want to play buggy/glitchy content like that.

A prime example of who gaming companies need to be held fully accountable for what they release on day 1. Many have gotten way to comfortable with releasing 'beta' ready games to the public and its just expected to deal with all the issues for months later etc

@majicalpanda I feel that. I was a HUGE fan of Mass Effect. The characters, story, music, setting, all of it. I don't know why Andromeda didn't get my attention, but I always had a vibe about it and just didn't get into it. Got real lucky with that one.
--
Ryzen 7 2700X ∙ Red Devil 6900 XT ∙ 32 GBs RAM | AMD since the ATi & Voodoo days | Awaiting new CPU prices
0 Likes