cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

trueamdclset
Journeyman III

Monitors removing advertising for Freesync compatibility

I have seen other posts on here wondering if or when new monitors will support Freesync and have wondered the same thing for the past 5 months or so. Turns out the GPP program was ended on gpus and shifted over to monitors in a sort of way. AdoredTV on youtube has done a very in depth video and I thought I would summarize on here and share, in hopes that you would share information over to AMD executives, marketing, monitor partners and our fellow friends.

1) Monitors that used to be branded as Freesync now show Gsync Compatible

2) Monitors which previously used Freesync marketing or branding currently show Gsync logos

3) Monitors with whom previously listed the feature Freesync, have no mention of freesync anywhere

4) Many of these monitors now show on Nvidia's compatibility list website

Leading me to believe Nvidia is incentivising these brands and monitors to be compatible with Geforce Cards through software/drivers and Nvidia helping them advertise their product as Gsync verified on their website (requiring Freesync to be removed from product listings). AdoredTV gets the credit for discovering that many Freesync monitors now have no mentions of freesync on their product listings...

Nvidia Kills FreeSync, Intel "Meets Competition" - Invidious 

3 Replies
jamesc359
Forerunner

Another shady tactic from NVidia - I can't say that I'm surprised. The most concerning part for me is that NVidia is deceiving and ripping off their customers which could end up purchasing one of these monitors thinking that they're actually getting Gsync technology.

Your Link is broken for me at least.

I own an pair of RTX2080OC now on different PCs and they work great in "GSync Compatible mode" on a BenQ 32 inch "FreeSync" monitor. It seems to work better than RX Vega Liquid, but that is probably just because the Nvidia GPUs can maintain consistent frame rate at 4K.

It will be interesteing to see how those two cards perform with an NVLink bridge versus a pair of RX Vega 64 Liquid in Crossfire.

All I know is it has been very difficult to know or find out what the Freesync range is on any monitor I try to purchase.
All the information you tend to get is maybe "supports FreeSync" or "supports AMD FreeSync".
Well that doesn't really tell me enough.

If I go out to purchase a 4K 60Hz or 2K 144Hz or even a 1080p 60Hz monitor I need to know what the AMD Freesync range is. The Freesync ranges are often very limited.
Some are as low as 44-60Hz which really isn't great, even on 120/144Hz monitors.
Once outside that very limited freesync range it is worthless.

Whatever happened to Freesync 2 monitors?
Last time I looked for a 4K monitor I could not find one with Freesync 2 support.
I am particularly interested in LFC because trying to use a single AMD RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU for 4K gaming there is no way I see to avoid running with Radeon Chill on and Chill_Min = 30 FPS. The Frame Rate range I get is 30-59 FPS.

It's all very well for AMD Fanboys and fanatics to make videos to attack Nvidia for "Shady Practices" but I am not conviced that Nvidia are any better or worse than anyone else.

0 Likes
luisfpr
Adept II

That is the same crappy tactic NVidia tried to pull with their "Partner Program" remember? 

0 Likes