Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

hexagonal717
Journeyman III

I created a One-click script fix for Windows replacing your GPU drivers

I created a One-click script fix for Windows replacing your GPU drivers

https://github.com/hexagonal717/wushowhidetoolalt.git

Hey everyone, after so much frustration with Windows Update replacing new GPU drivers with Old GPU drivers constantly, I decided to take things into my own hands. I created a one click PowerShell script which auto hides the old AMD, Nvidia and Intel drivers that pops up in the windows update. Basically, the script is run on every logon in No Window style using Task Scheduler for seamless experience. It auto hides if there are any old drivers in the windows update.

It basically filters out from the Windows Update using following keywords from the Update's Title: 

NVIDIA - Display
nVidia - Display
Intel Corporation - Display
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display
ATI Technologies Inc. - Display
AMD – Display Adapter

and prevents them from ever popping up in the Windows Update ever again. More details in the GitHub Repo. Enjoy!

6 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've never noticed that a Windows Update replaced my current AMD Adrenalin drivers.  I wonder what other people are seeing from Windows Update.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

It mostly effects laptop users.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It has effected every build I have put together so far, excluding builds with Nvidia GPUs.

Windows has an old driver that will randomly overwrite the driver that is already installed causing crashes and poor performance. This has happened on my RX 5600 XT, RX 6800 XT, my brothers RX 7600, and my RX 7900 XT.

It's a pain to deal with, because you need to first disable Windows driver updates, and then DDU or AMD Cleanup, then you can finally reinstall the driver you had before the overwrite. 

I may give this a try next time I do a new build to see if it is effective.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Isn't this the same a Microsoft Hide/Unhide Windows Update Tool?

Just found out that it seems like the MS Hide/Unhide Tool either doesn't work in Windows 10/11 correctly or doesn't do what it is suppose to do.

Since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Update Hide/Unhide Tool a few years ago, I will be using your new Hide/Unhide Update Tool in the future.

Thanks for the information.

If you ran the previous version of the script. Please run the V1.2.0 of the script. Seems like I forgot to enable back the delivery optimization service required for the windows update to properly work. I fixed it in the new one.

My script is inspired from Windows Update Show Hide Tool. Basically, with the Windows Update Show Hide Tool, you have to manually hide the updates you don't want, and it works.

But after doing major Windows Updates. The thing gets reset, so the old drivers come back again in the update without you knowing leading you to manually hide the drivers again.

I have tried every possible way to hide the updates, Registry, DDU, Prevent Default Installations etc, you name it!. Windows Update Show Hide Tool is the only thing that actually works. So, I got the inspiration for my project from this tool, and I named it wushowhidetoolalt.

I just automated the process that's all. I made it in a way that on every logon, the task scheduler makes the script run the HideGpuDriversFromWindowsUpdate Logic in No Window style for no visual Interruptions. Enjoy.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It's cool that you are working on this. It has been an issue for many for well over a year and it caused so much frustration diagnosing it, before I knew that my drivers were overwritten. 

Keep it up.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB