Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

GTI_Sean
Journeyman III

HP Probook 3500U throttling on battery

Good afternoon guys

I recently purchased an HP Probook 450 G6 Ryzen 5 3500U processor, and I am noticing that the laptop throttles quite a lot when on battery. I am in the audit environment and unfortunately use this laptop on battery for most of the day. 

After doing some research on this laptop and it's throttling processor, I have done the following to try and stop this:

1 - Downloaded the latest BIOS for this laptop, where I disables the PPSP policy, where it restricts the speed of the NVME SSD to Gen 1 performance when on battery. This helped a bit.

2 - Downloaded the latest chipset drivers, which included the download of the Ryzen battery performance settings. I have also changed all of the battery policy settings to be maximum performance orientated but I feel this has only helped marginally. 

Has anyone else had this type of experience with the Ryzen 5 3500U ? What can I do to stop this? I had an Intel Core i5 10th Gen processor before this and it felt so much more responsive and snappy? 

EDIT: I forgot to note that I upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16Gb to see if that wouldnt help. When on AC power, the laptop is an absolute dream to work on, as it is crazy fast.

Thank you 

Sean

0 Likes
0 Replies