cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

How do you think AI is going to impact gamers?

Thinking about AI, and the road ahead...

Generic_AI_generate_char.jpg

How do you think AI is going to impact gamers (not game developers)? Will procedurally generated environments grow automatically, forever? What about character customization? Will NPCs kick our butts?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
15 Replies
Key-J
Paragon

Oh man, I think there is going to be some huge changes coming to the gaming landscape that will effect gamers. 

I really think AI is likely to revolutionize the gaming experience in various ways. Procedurally generated environments will likely become more intricate, and adapting to the way that players play the game. Perhaps even generating "new" environments to the player's liking without them realizing.

Character customization is probably also going to change. Not just in the fact that we will probably have more options, but can you imagine typing in: "A dark-elf prince with green eyes and long dark hair, adorned with silver scars and a slightly pale face" and getting
 329859780_569439855099872_8913024982435587243_n.png
as your character.

When it comes to NPCs, I do think this is where we are going to see the biggest influence from AI - and if memory serves me right, titles like COD are already using this to their advantage. They developed an AI that is learning your specific play-style in real-time in game. Which it will then use to either 1) Keep your "character" in game as you if you were to disconnect - trying to play as you would play. 2) Use this player data to place NPCs in games that use real-player tactics for a more immersive and challenging opponent. They are also likely to become more sophisticated, adapting their strategies to our actions, making encounters feel more lifelike and unpredictable.

Overall, I think implementing AI into games will be a win for gamers.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

look at COD as I play DMZ with some friends and we have noticed over the past year that the bots and getting better. I even had one the other night run out of ammo in his main gun and he switched to his pistol like a real player so yes it is here and it is getting better.

Honestly I think its a flop. AI cant make programmer decisions. Everything it has in it is already preloaded. Even the procedurally created maps can go only so far. 

0 Likes

There's a game called AI Roguelite on Steam which has a good concept, but a bit of a crude implementation at the moment. It uses textual AI to generate stories based on your few initial settings + real-time spoken actions and also uses image generation AI to produce pictures of stuff to supply the narrative at the same time. If only some high-budget or enthusiastic game studio could take this concept, polish it, and tailor into a more coherent experience taking it to the next level... AI is perfect for RPG Roguelikes. Even entire dialogues can be voiced over by AI nowadays, almost on the fly and persuasively close to reality (with some good pre-trained models). And character photos/portraits can be animated to fit their voice lines. There are also major steps happening in the direction of translating AI images/prompts into real 3D environments and models - it's quite rough right now, but judging by how speedy the AI exploration has become over the recent years it's safe to assume that it won't take too long for it to come into real good shape. 

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hi, Everyone, I like your comments and agree with you!

I believe AI will improve our gaming experiences for all the reasons you've elaborated on. Character customization could/will be streamlined and will function the way @Key-J described. In fact, it will dramatically reduce the amount of time it takes to create and customize characters. This to me is a big win as I don't particularly enjoy customizing characters, or even weapons, vehicles, and the like. 

Environments should "grow" with the gamer automatically, although I wonder about the impact it could make on storage devices. Will we run out of SSD space as we play or put more and more hours in a game, say an RTG?

NPCs - I'm not 100% sure I'd enjoy playing against them since they could eventually become "smarter" than me LOL. Jokes aside, I believe NPCs could/will do the "unexpected", they'll do what we (humans) normally wouldn't do, or don't even consider doing. For example, in FPS, we normally throw a grenade into a room, wait for a second for the smoke to clear, and finally rush in. An NPC may not even consider a grenade, it could just do something completely unexpected, say break through a wall.

Hello, @ZsilentsaintZ (nice to e-meet you). 

Would you agree that with generative AI creating new lines of code will be beneficial? Programmers will spend less time to "input" new (or correct/update) data to an existing function or call. In fact, this process could be automated giving programmers more time (and creative freedom) to improve their code and even come up with new features... 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Regarding "coding/programming" stuff I'd say the AI is still quite rough and needs a knowledgeable person to guide it through coding mistakes almost all the way. The only thing it saves is maybe a few minutes physically typing the trivial lines of code, however you might as well waste all that saved time and more later while re-educating your AI if it makes a big mistake in some vital parts along the way. I think there's still too much freedom and unknown variables when it comes to interpretive AI - it's basically a toddler with access to search engines that you task with finding and copy-pasting the line of code you need from somewhere/someone else (like github, stack overflow, etc.), but there's no guarantee that it will understand the fault within its own logic when constructing a working programme by your design, and no guarantee that it can aptly apply your corrections to its faulty lines of code.

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D

Good point. Especially "no guarantee that it will understand the fault within its own logic when constructing a working programme by your design". 

Knowing how fast technology (both HW and SW) is evolving, I feel these types of "realities" will eventually be addressed and automated. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes

Hi @Sam_AMD

I stand corrected lol honestly im just starting to learn coding but in these context yes and seems very helpful. Now im more interested actually so thanks. I'll probably be implementing A.I. more down the road, hopefully most bug will be worked out by then.

Your bud ZsilentsaintZ

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics
AMD B550M (AC)

0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

Funny enough @Sam_AMD the timing of your topic is great - I just read this:

https://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-enlists-ai-to-eavesdrop-on-voice-chat-and-help-ban-toxic-player...

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing it with us! 

I'm happy to learn about this: 

"Call of Duty’s Voice Chat Moderation system only submits reports about toxic behavior, categorized by its type of behavior and a rated level of severity based on an evolving model," the answer reads. "Activision determines how it will enforce voice chat moderation violations."

But do you think at some point the bot will have the ability to ban folks?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
officialdjdmc
Adept II

AI will take gameplay into a movie and life like interactions.  It is amazing to see in COD DMZ for teh AI to fight on your team and against you.  They also can call Air Strikes, mortar strikes, and now try to run you over in a vehicle.  I am excited for this.  

0 Likes
TrixterDoc
Journeyman III

I am always in for a game with a real challenge. I really hope that we can face off with more challenging fights and smarter NPCs to make the games more immersive and challenging. Thinking of a Dark Souls bosses with built in AI and personailty to really square off on the player with tactics and personality. 

I am really excited!

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

I have another thought I'd like to share with you all, especially after reading @officialdjdmc and @TrixterDoc comments.

Assuming NPCs become 'smarter' and begin to take unexpected actions in a game to achieve an objective, wouldn't this behavior make NPCs practically superior to gamers? An NPCs will know (via DL/ML) all the tricks in the code and will probably start creating its own path to victory. By path I mean "procedure", which will overtime become more and more efficient.... 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Good point, but if the AI Game is programmed to "learn" its opponents tactics or behavior and react accordingly rather then to have access to the game's coding programming and know secrets that wouldn't show up to the User then it would be a different story.

Basically, to me, AI means that a game learns as you play it and reacts accordingly. AI could also involve with more realistic and personal conversations with the Users from the Main Characters.

If a AI Game has access to all the game's coding or programming than it will never lose always win and the Users would stop purchasing the game since it isn't a challenge any more.

0 Likes
officialdjdmc
Adept II

That is where Developers need to tame them.  DMZ does have different levels of BOTS.  They can fight alongside you unless you fire against them.  Then its on and they are relentless.  Also certain Active Zones or threat is high zones have a more strategic BOTS with more armor and kill streaks.  The programmers ultimately have to make it enjoyable and BOTS that are far superior will not be good.  Ideally I would be very happy if you are struggling with a mission (4+ failed attempts) BOTS come in and help you complete the mission.  Or purchase A bot squad to help you complete your mission, that would be great.  Not one that will engage in other PVP but ones that help clear other bots and ping objectives, especially on the harder ones.  Random players generally are not on the same missions as you.