cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

How do you choose what kind of games to play?

How do you choose what kind of games to play? What are some of the factors or criteria that influence your decision, such as genre, graphics, gameplay, story, reviews, or recommendations?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
14 Replies
Hiramabiff
Adept III

I like open world style games. I also like rpg. I am not a fan of soul type games. I also like science fiction and fantasy. So I tend to look at game play and then decide from there.  Brands also play a distinction for me such as Bethesda. They have a reputation for open world where you can do just about anything.   

I have monster hunter but it’s boring now. It’s the same 6 maps over and over just killing a monster and repeat. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Honestly, just word of mouth and hearing/reading positive reviews about a game will be enough for me to look into it. Obviously, we all have our favorite genres of games (FPS/MMO/ARPG/etc.) so outside of that, I also just listen to what friends are telling me to play or look into.

Axxemann
Forerunner

Is it a shooter? Does it involve fighter planes or aviation? Is it F2P? Is it cheap to buy in? There's a bit of a mental flow chart I use that asks some of those questions. I'll make my decision based on the number of yes/no answers.

Performance over Pretty.
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I normally prefer fps or rts with a touch of Sci Fi. But of course I'm open to lots of other games. 

The Englishman
fozzy1414
Adept II

The slower the better for me nowadays. My reflexes aren't what they used to be.

I like games that leave you alone to do your thing. The less cutscenes the better as well.

2k23 PGA golf, RDR2 and I'll probably grab Football Manager 2023 soon.

I must be lucky. I've got faster reaction times than a lot of 20somethings 😄

Performance over Pretty.
Eudicots
Adept III

I think all of the games I have played this year have almost always been given to me for free. I tend to mostly play co-op games my sibling is interested in. 

AMD_cire
Challenger

Any games that AMD driver does not make the game itself crash.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G

btw, if you old, then try ps1 or ps2 for nostalgic. I am sure your RTX 4090 FE can handle it. 😆

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
BigTacious
Adept III

...how much energy will this game demand after a long work day? lol.

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi
DtDrag
Adept II

Typically through my friends, if they're playing something new I might give it a try. Other times if something looks cool I'll check out the reviews and give it a shot if all looks good.

0 Likes
jaandoh
Challenger

I do very much love open world games, and the freedom of going anywhere in the game... 

Having said that, the games which I found addictive were borderlands, farcry, crackdown and gta, which are not truly open world... 

I also like slow strategy games too which I can save and come back to later, like stationeers... 

I'm not an avid/experienced gamer, I just game to pass time on boring days lol

0 Likes
alex7turner
Journeyman III

Hi! Several things come into play when I decide what kind of games to play:

1. Genre: I frequently lean towards favourite genres, such first-person shooters, strategy games, and role-playing role-playing games.
  2. Impressive graphics have the power to improve the gaming experience and immerse me in the game world, even though they aren't always the most crucial element.
  3. Playstyle: I search for games that fit my interests and play style and have fun, captivating gameplay mechanics.
  4. Story: I usually look for games with well-developed tales because they can make a game more immersive and memorable.
  5. Reviews: To determine a game's quality and suitability for my interests, I read reviews left by both critics and other players.

0 Likes
redlightuser
Adept I

Depends. Got a new PC in January. I'm starting with the heaviest titles, typically above 50 GB. I use review sites, such as IGN, Gamespot, Metacritic, Opencritic. Then proceed to check howlongtobeat, pcgamingwiki and YouTube for gameplay videos. Attempting to diversify my gameplay style while paving my path for a smooth integration of new experiences.

There are also good videos on YouTube depicting the best games of each year. I check the sites, forums, sort by size, seeders and such, working my way around it. Warez is legal for personal use in my country, so... I use repacks (Dodi, mostly, but also Fitgirl), as well as private and public trackers (filelist, Rutracker, etc).

There is a finite number of games you can play without becoming jaded in the process. Suitable games are definitely not being released faster than you can play them. The more humble your resources are, the more likely you are to outlast whoever has higher spec hardware. They will burnout faster because they have the ability to reach maximum visual fidelity, making a larger number of titles unsuitable. Unless they are extremely versatile as players.  

0 Likes